Sequel: Morning Light

The Cullen

Attack

I did not know what to do. I had my best lying twenty feet away from me screaming in agony, but I also had the fiend that was responsible for her pain right in front of me . I quickly ‘dispatched’ her assailant and ran to her side. She looked at me confused. Edward was already by her side.

“What can we do?” I pleaded.

“We can let her turn or -” Edward tried to answer.

“No!” I exclaimed, but then I followed in a whisper, “ I will not damn her to this fate.”

“Or you can try to suck the venom out of her.”

“Me? Why me? I can’t.”

“You better do it soon; before, it is too late.”

I leaned towards, best friends neck, horrified. Her blood smelled so good, so sweet. She screamed and tried to crawl away as she realized what I was doing. To her, it probably looked like I was about to grope her. She had no idea what was happening to her. She screamed in pain again. At that I sunk my teeth into her neck, reopening the wound. She flinched away from me. I grasped her and tugged her in closer to me. I tasted the venom entering my mouth. It was a sour intruder infiltrating the sweetness of her blood. It was the first time I have ever had human blood, and I did not want to stop.

The sourness ended, and I only tasted bliss. I could have drained her dry, but then I thought of my dead friend in my arms because of me. Also, at the same time, Edward nudged me. I looked down at Katie; she looked so frail. I laid her limp body on the ground. I backed away from her. I thought about what I thought of doing a moment ago. I was disgusted with myself. I looked up at Edward and saw worry in his eyes. I turned away from him and ran.

***

I finally stopped after I reached Aberdeenshire. I had no idea how far away I was from the little town where I was staying. I think at one point I ran over water. I was frightened of myself. I thought about killing my best friend just so I could get my fill of her blood. I was driving myself insane thinking about it. I didn’t know what to do. Should I call Edward? Maybe Katie. I settled for staying at a bed and breakfast for the night. In the morning I would go back to Edward and Katie.

The lady thought it odd that I was checking in in the middle of the night and without any luggage. I guess I woke her up for she was wearing a light blue fuzzy robe with matching slippers and had curlers in her hair. She looked like the bride of Frankenstein to be honest. She even had those white stripes on side of her head.

She lead me to one of the bedrooms on the third floor. She walked out and slammed the door behind her. The sound startled me. I laid down on the bed. My first day in Scotland, and my best friend almost dies. I wonder what Edward is going to tell her when she wakes up. I fall asleep to all the possible answers.

I woke up alert to a sound outside my window. Something kept scratching at it and laughing. Wait. Why am I afraid? I’m a vampire. The sound was quite irritating. I got up and walked over to the window. I opened the curtains to find no one. I guess it was just a tree, and I imagined the laughing. I was about to walk away when something on the side of the window caught me eye. There standing as still as a statue was a man. He blended in with the other statues. He was white as chalk, not breathing, he even had the same kind of dress the others were wearing. He has gone all out for this. I can see why he was laughing; he looked ridiculous.

I open the window, and I see a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. I turned my body towards and laugh. He thinks I’m laughing at my ridiculousness of being afraid, but I was really laughing at him.

“I can see why you were laughing. You look ridiculous,” I laugh pointing.

Anger flashed in his eyes, and he was right in front of my face at this comment. “How dare you mock?’
he said infuriatingly in a heavy Romanian accent.

“Well, have you seen the way you look?”

“Stupid human, I will torture before I suck you dry.”

“Who are you supposed to be? Dracula in disguise?”

He roared in my face. His breath stunk of garlic. I guess not Dracula.

“Eww, garlic. I thought was bad for you. Oh well.” I grab him by his collar and pull him inside the room. I throw him to the ground. I jump on top of him before he can get up. I started to punch him repeatedly, taking my anger out on him. A noise in the hallway distracted me, and I looked up. It was enough time for him throw me off of him and jump through the window, breaking it to pieces. I got up quickly and threw a fireball at him. The keeper busted through the door at the same moment. She looked at me in confusion.

I was little bit out of breath. “Someone broke in,” I breathed.

“Are you okay?” she asked with concern.

“Yeah, thanks.”

“I’m going to call the police.”

“Okay.”

They were there five minutes later. They asked for a description of the attacker; I gave them on knowing that they will never find him though.

“He was maybe five ten, hundred and sixty pounds. He had brown hair and very dark eyes, almost black, set back into his forehead. He had a Romanian accent. He was a little broad but not much,” I recalled. I looked notepad where a man was drawing a face. “No the nose was wider, and the cheeks were sullen. He looked like he was starving.” I was not lying on that part.

“Thanks,” he said.

I just nodded and walked off towards the window. I stood there for a while; then, I police officer asked me a few more question.

“You didn’t know him?” he asked a dozen times.

“No, I’m from the states. Today was my first day here. I was actually staying a few towns over, but my boyfriend and I got into a fight; so I just left.”

“That’s why you checked so late?”

“Yes. I just kept walking and walking; then I got tired and realized it was dark, and I had no where to stay.”

“Is it possible that he could have been following you?”

“It’s possible, but I think I would have realized it; you know?”

“Yeah, but you never know.”

“Yeah.”

“Do want to go back to where you were staying? I can give you ride.”

“I’m really tired. I don’t think I can take that long of a drive. Thank you, though.”

“Okay, I’ll see if the owner will move to another room.”

“Thank you,” I said sincerely. Then I had an idea. “Wait, where I was staying before, when I left, there was a group of guys that did follow me for a while. They could have been together.”

“Thanks, that might be helpful.”

I just nodded. I did remember a few of those vampires getting away; I think. I couldn’t believe that there have been two vampire attacks tonight. What is going on? After I get some sleep, I’ll go back to Edward and tell him. I’m too tired to make that run again tonight. I hope everything is okay over there.