Sequel: Morning Light

The Cullen

Transformation

As I laid down, I realized there were some things I did not know. I did not know if Katie was all right. I did not know what Edward was thinking. Then, I thought deeper. I did not know me. I only just began realizing who or what I was. I was just starting to put my self together. I had beyond the normal speed and strength of a normal vampire, yet I was only half vampire. I finally figured out my power: Every vampire I ran into who had a power, I was able to duplicate it. At first, I thought it only worked if I was by them, but I have their power forever.

Then a disturbing thought intruded me thoughts- the one my father had said to me when we first met. He said my mother should have died after giving birth to me. How could she had survived? Maybe my father was just exaggerating; maybe it does not do it every woman with a vampire baby. But something inside of me wouldn’t let it go. As I slept, I had differing dreams of what my mom could be. A special vampire herself, a witch, or some other supernatural being. None of them made sense to me.

When I finally woke up, I was chilled to the bone. I realized I did not know anything of my mom’s past. I did not no her heritage, where she came from, her secrets, or even which schools she went to as a kid. She has kept so much from me. When I got back to the states, I will be giving her a visit. First though, I had to get back to Edward and Katie.

I cleaned myself up and went downstairs to the find the same women who checked me in was there standing. She was probably waiting for me to check out. Well, her wait was over.

“Any more interruptions?” she asked, only half interested.

“I slept soundly, thank you.,” I answered.

She went through her usual thank you’s and come join us again’s before I could finally leave. It was brighter than ever outside. It seemed like every person who lived in this small town was out reveling it. I had to walk out of town before I could “run” back.

Everyone looked so happy, oblivious to the monsters around them. Luckily, they were safe during the day. There was one exception: me. I felt horrible. I was a monster. Maybe I can be a good monster, like Carlisle, and Edward and their family.

The warmth of the sun soon made my worries disappear. It felt so nice to be warm for once. It was barely tepid in Forks. It reminded me of home. I lingered in the town for a few minutes. I wanted to relish this for as long as possible. I knew that it will be a while until I see the sun like this again. But I knew I had to get back to Katie and Edward.

As soon as I was out of town and making sure no one was around, I flitted back. I couldn’t wait to get back. I had to make sure that Katie was all right. It took me longer than it did last night. To be honest, I’m surprise Edward had not call me. I went to check my phone, but it was not there. I must have left it back. I pushed myself harder.

As I ran, I noticed that it wasn’t just that little town that the sun lit. It was everywhere. I doubt Edward could go outside. I wasn’t sure if the people around there came out in that area. I wasn’t sure how bright he could show because not many people were near us. The next house was maybe a few miles away, so maybe he could go outside and enjoy the warmth.

I finally got to the duplicate house of the one in Forks. I almost tore the door off in my eagerness to see Edward and Katie. He was waiting for me on the couch. He stared at me with a million emotions in his eyes.

“How is-” I began to ask, but I cut off with a scream. I raced upstairs. I found Katie writhing in pain on her bed. I looked at Edward with one question in my eyes: What’s happening to her?

“It seems that you didn’t get all the venom out.”

I was so confused. I felt her blood turn sweet again. He must have heard my thoughts and answered the question that I was pondering.

“I guess some of the venom got to her heart before you could get it all out.”

“Oh my gosh. No, no no no. This can’t be happening. Stop it!” I was panicking.

“I can’t,” he answered weakly.

“She can’t be like this. Are you sure there is no way to stop this?”

“Yes,” but I heard his mental voice suggest something unfathomable.

“Well, I’m not going to do that.”

“I know. That is why this has to happen.”

I slumped onto Katie’s bed. I sat there until the process was done- two more days. I kept uttering ‘I’m sorry’ over and over again, hoping she would hear me. I hoped she would forgive me. Edward would come up to check on us. He would bring me food and a rag for Katie.

She would scream often. It killed me to see how much pain she was in because of me. I couldn’t live with myself. How could I? I am the reason she is in this pain. It was day two, and I was in the process of hating myself when Edward walked in, wanting to talk.

“Where did you go?” he asked.

“I don’t know, some little town. I stayed in a bed and breakfast.”

“Anything happen?”

“Actually, yes.” His eyes urged me to go on. “I was attacked. Well, the guy tried to. I caught him before he could..”

“Human?”

“No, vampire. He was outside my window. He thought I was human. Well, he guessed wrong. He had a Romanian accent. I killed him.” It felt weird to say I killed somebody, even if he wasn’t human.

“Hmm. That is strange. I never realized that their had been so many vampires in this area before. I was here for a month and never noticed anything.”

“You weren’t looking.”

“True, but I still should have gotten something.”

“Maybe they just arrived. Could that explain it?”

“Yes,” he answered doubtfully.

Our conversation ended with a scream coming form Katie. I winced. She was quiet during the conversation. She hadn’t even moved. Then, I realized how are we going to tell Ms. Charlene, Katie’s mom, about this. I’ll worry about that later. I grabbed Katie’s hand, and held it the rest of the time.
Her transformation was coming to an end. Her breathing was becoming more leveled. She wasn’t shaking or screaming anymore. She was calm. She opened her red eyes for the first time I was a little startled at first by them. Then, she screamed a blood curdling scream.