Sequel: Morning Light

The Cullen

Old Enemies

Gregory. He was standing there with a few more rocks in his hand and a fiendish smile. He laughed and threw another rock at me. I caught it and growled. Before I could contain myself, I growled and hurled myself at him. He was still laughing as I punched, kicked, everything at him, but then he stopped when he realized I was doing actual damage. I wasn't using my full strength, but a good bit of it; Gregory was human.

"You're hurting me!" he exclaimed.

"Good!" I yelled in his face. I kept punching. "Why are you here?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"Well, don't." I got off of him. I wanted so badly to keep punching him. "What do you want?"

"I saw you the other day, I guess on your arrival. I wanted to see you, talk." He got up holding his ribs and wiping blood from his lip. He already had some bruising on his face.

"Why are you here, in Scotland?

"Oh, yeah. Well you know how my family has all this money--"

"And an arrogant son," I smiled unjoyously.

He returned the same smile. "Since I wasn't the perfect angel that Jared was, they sent me to boarding school out here. I just stay in this quaint little town. I graduated recently and decided to stay. Why are you here?"

"Vacation."

"Alone? I thought I saw somebody with you. I guess it was a guide."

"No, not alone," another voice said. It was Edward. He walked over to me and put an arm around my waist.

"And her 'guide' is right here," Katie said, putting guide in air quotes.

"Oh Katie, how ni-- What happened to your eyes?!" he stepped back.

Edward and I tensed, but Katie merely responded, "Contacts. Like them?"

"Couldn't get any less scary?"

"Nope."

I interrupted the love fest, " You can go now, Gregory."

"You," he singled me out, "should come over for dinner some time."

I almost lurched at him again for what he thought was 'dinner'. I think Edward was too. We just looked at each other and took a deep breath. All of us walked back through the kitchen to the living room and sat down.

"What did the ass want?" Katie asked.

"Talk."

"Yeah, sure, he did. What did you do to him? He was all beat up."

"Well, I felt something hit me, so when I turned around, he was there. I couldn't help but pounce on him."

Katie nodded her head.

"Who was that?" Edward asked.

"That, my friend, was Gregory. He was-"

"An ex?"

I have never laughed so hard in my life. "Oh my gosh no."

"Oh, well, how do you know him?"

"Gregory, as you can tell, went to school with us. He was an arrogant jerk, putting it nicely. He tried to get with me; it didn't work. He then went to Katie, who as well turned him down, and some other girl. He then tried again with me."

"So he is a chauvinistic pig?"

"Yeah, and more."

"What else did he do?"

"Well...um, I was running one evening at the park, and he pulled up there. He caught up with me and started talking to me. He asked me to 'dinner' one night; I refused. He has an anger issue."

Edward tensed realizing where this might be going. I did not want to relive this horrid moment. I wish I knew what I was back then, maybe I could have stopped him. I wonder why they lay dormant. I had hurt him that night I was having a bad dream. Edward was still waiting for me to go on.

"A lot of things can happen to a girl in a park at seven o' clock. I was on my fourth mile so I was getting tired. He pushed me to the ground unexpectedly. He started to walk towards me with an evil smile on his face. I kicked him and got up and started running. I tripped over a random branch. He stepped over me and started hitting me everywhere. He kicked me. He did everything to me besides rape me, which surprised me. I think he about to but someone had pulled up. I got home looking like a fell through a tree, but I had no bruises on me to prove what he did to me. I guess in a way my body was still inhuman."

I saw what Edward was thinking of doing. I wouldn't let him. Gregory will get his one day but not by Edwards hand. I wish had my abilities then. That would have surprised him.

I sighed and went upstairs. Its been a long couple of days. I was tired, as well tired of hearing Edward’s plans for revenge. I didn’t need that in my life nor Gregory. I might just go home tomorrow; this is not the vacation of been hoping for. I was about to lay my head down when I heard someone at my door.

“Come in,” I mumbled.

“Tired?” Edward asked, walking in.

“Yeah, sadly it been a long couple of days. This vacation hasn’t exactly gone to plan.” I sat up and motioned for him to sit down. I looked at him wishing that all of this hadn’t happened.

“I’m sorry,” he said sincerely.

I was confused on why he was saying sorry. “For what?”

“Everything that has happened in your life. You have been through a lot. It doesn’t seem fair.”

“Well, hasn’t anyone told? Life isn’t fair.”

He smiled, “Yes, once.”

“Bella?”

“Yes. It was the first conversation we had. We were talking about why she had some to Forks. I was glad her life wasn’t fair because I got to love her.”

I placed my hand over his. It was a kind gesture, and I could tell he thankful for it. He looked at me then, and in rush, I felt every emotion he felt while with Bella. It was overwhelming. The need to protect her, to love her, to need her, to want her. It was all too much to handle. Her death was unbearable to him. He was going to kill himself somehow, but for some reason he did not. I realized I could never replace her no matter how hard I tried. I wouldn’t try.

“I could never replace her.” He looked at me perplexed. “I will not try to. Good night, Edward.”

I think he understood. I could not tell if he was happy with this or not. I did know he understood what I meant. I was truly upset because I wanted to run to him, to cry in his arms because of all that has happened. I wanted him to comfort me. I wanted him, but he would never be mine. I understood that and accepted it. I would never want him in that way again; I would not allow myself to. He shall never know how I truly feel for him, for it wouldn’t be enough for him after Bella.