Status: Active

Ocean of Secrets

Camel Crush

My eyelids grew heavier as I rang up a package of condoms for the antsy, middle-aged man in front of me. He obviously only bought the handful of candy bars, and the magazine to try and divert my attention; I really could care less though. “Fifteen-oh-two please,” After the words left my mouth he jumped, and I had to fight to keep in a laugh. Men nowadays were so embarrassed about buying a stupid package of condoms. And don’t even get me started on how they’d act when they had to buy a box of tampons. You would think it was the end of the world.

A twenty dollar bill found its way onto the counter, and I slapped some buttons on the cash register lazily. Holding out his change I tried to get his attention, but he was too busy staring out the door, with an anxious expression on his face, to notice me. “Here is your change.” I had to say the words a second time and a bit louder to finally get his attention, and when he finally noticed, his face turned a light shade of red. His large, sweaty hand grazed mine as he grabbed the extra money, and then he was out the door before I could say another word. Men these days.

I rolled my eyes and then did a quick scan of the small drugstore. From my perch I could see everything. There were a total of maybe five aisles in all, and then a row of freezers against the far back wall. All of the shelves were low enough to easily see any normal sized adult over the tops so I knew I was alone for the moment. The drugstore was my second home and one of the few places that I actually felt comfortable. Not even at home could I just relax and be myself; I had to wear a guise for my father.

I turned to grab my iPod, but just as my fingers touched the cool, plastic casing, the bell over the door chimed. “Hello,” I turned to the door and put on my best fake smile as I welcomed the next customer and then froze.

A gust of chilly wind wafted in with the man and blew his dark hair forward into his gorgeous face. He had a wide jaw and a dimple in his chin, and as he walked toward the counter I could see that his darkly rimmed eyes were an undefinable mixture of blue and green. Upon inspection I noticed a small streak of gold mixed into his dark hair.

A small smirk tugged at the corners of his lips as he spoke, “I need a pack of Camel Crush.”

I turned to grab the black box without thinking twice about the fact that he didn’t even look at me, and then put it lightly onto the counter while I stared at him. The exact amount of money was set down before I could tell him the total, and then the pack of cigarettes was in his hand and he was out the door. My eyes lingered on the exit for the rest of the night.

♦♣♦♣♦♣


“Tell me again exactly what he said!” I turned the dial on my locker and then reached for my calculus book.

Bridget was my best friend, but sometimes she became too annoying for me to stand. She made me repeat the scene from yesterday over a million times as if something about the event could have possibly changed within the past three minutes.

After I told her how the cute guy walked in and rudely left without so much as five words it was all she could talk about. I couldn’t tell her anything about him though; just the fact that he was completely rude and bought Camel Crush, “Did he only buy a pack of cigarettes?”

I wanted to slap her by the time fifth period had passed, and now I was thankful that it was the end of the day because I really felt like pummeling her to the ground and choking her to death; even if that would mean ruining her new dress.

I slammed my locker shut a little too hard and received a death glare from a passing teacher. “Bridget what else can I tell you! The guy bought one pack of cigarettes, didn’t even say thank you and then left.”

“But Lucy,” Her voice came out as a whine and I wanted to slam my eight-hundred page book into her face. “Do you think he looked familiar? Do you think he is still in High School?”

“No I don’t.” Bridget had been desperate for the past few weeks because our senior prom was only months away. “And he may have graduated last year or two years ago. For all I know he could have been an alien.” She wanted to find a date early so that if he happened to cancel like her date last year then she would have plenty enough time to find a replacement.

We started walking towards the cafeteria stairs and she continued to pester me. “Are you absolutely sure because he could have just looked a bit older.”

My head started to ache and I wanted to tell Bridget to get lost, but I knew that would hurt her feelings so I continued to try and answer her questions to the best of my ability. I didn’t need to lose my only friend during my senior year; it was supposed to be the best thirty-some weeks of my existence.

“Bridget,” I said her name slowly, “I am absolutely sure that he was older than us. He just had that air about him.” I thought back to last night and the feelings that he had conjured in me by just walking through the door.

“You thought he was cute! That’s why you don’t want to tell me anything!” Bridget’s tone was accusing but I could tell that she was only pretending.

“Did not,” I looked at my feet as we walked down the stairs, and then stared at the sidewalk once we finally left the building. “He was rude and I didn’t even get a good look at him.”

“I can tell when you lie, and you’re blushing.” Bridget giggled and I felt the familiar heat creep up to my cheeks. I was blushing.

“It’s just the cold weather,” I lied.

“Whatever.” She finally seemed content with finishing that particular conversation. “Have you started looking for a dress yet?”

My mind wandered to the mystery man as Bridget began to describe a specific dress she had seen at the local dress shop. His eyes burned in my brain and the few words he said repeated continually in my head. ‘I need a pack of Camel Crush.’

“Earth to Lucy,” Bridget waved a hand in front of my face. “Did the zombies come and devour your brain while I wasn’t looking?”

I looked over at her at the wheel of her ’99 Acura CL with an apology in my eyes. “I’m sorry. I just haven’t been myself lately because my parents are making me cram for the SAT already.” I felt bad for telling my best friend two consecutive lies in one day, and couldn’t look her in the eye anymore.

“What?” Bridget’s eyes widened as she turned the key in the ignition, “The freaking test isn’t for a couple months yet!” It was true that the SAT was pretty far off, but I hoped that she would think my parents were just pushy enough to make me start studying already.

“I know.” I rolled my eyes for good measure, “I have to go in to work later today. Do you wanna go with me and sit in the back room?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” A huge grin spread across her mouth, “And possibly getting to see an alluring boy is just icing on top of the cake.” I stuck my tongue out at her as she hit the gas.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think! (: