Status: Active

Ocean of Secrets

Coverage

Finally, after the longest school day in the history of the world, I was standing on my own doorstep. Of course it was only around three o’clock and I still had hours until Malachai came to get me, but I hoped that in the comfort of my own home time would pass by more quickly.

Belle ran into the room, giggling her head off, as I walked in the door. She took a sharp right and I heard another set of tiny feet coming towards me. Another girl around Belle’s age was chasing her around in a large circle. At least the layout of our house was good for one thing.

I walked into the kitchen and found my dad at the dining room table. He was taking a small sip of coffee from the mug we had bought him last father’s day, and on the table the newspaper was open to the weekly crossword puzzle. A pen sat next to it on the wooden tabletop and I smiled slightly. My dad loved puzzles.

I noticed that it was almost completely filled in and I wondered, once again, how my father could keep such a vast knowledge of trivial things. Knowing him it was probably all stored away in filing cabinets like that one episode of Spongebob Squarepants. A million little clones of him constantly are sorting through it and finding it when he needs it. That seemed to be the only reasonable explanation to me.

“Hey sweetheart,” He greeted me with an affectionate smile on his face. “That nice boy Gill is coming over again tonight for dinner.”

I gritted my teeth and my good mood was instantly wiped away. “Dad I already told you, and so did mom.” I wanted to scream but contented myself with sitting across from him. “I already have plans tonight.”

He glanced up from the newspaper crossword puzzle and stared at me for a long moment. “Who are you going to be with?”

I hesitated at this question and wondered if Bridget would cover for me, “Bridget and a guy that she likes. Mom thought I was going on a date for me, but really it’s for Bridget.” I didn’t think that he’d actually believe this but he seemed to; especially since I had started babbling my head off.

“Lucy darling,” I looked up at my father as his voice became serious and quiet. “You know that I only want what’s best for you right?” I nodded my head even though I didn’t completely, truly agree with him. If he wanted the best for me then why did he set me up on dates with jerks? He seemed to read my mind as he continued. “I set you up on dates with wealthy guys so that no matter what you’ll be able to live a comfortable life when you get older.”

Finally the steam inside me gathered so much that I couldn’t take it any longer and lost it. “How would being with any of those guys be considered comfortable? If they’re not stuck up, then they either can’t keep their hands off or threaten me. Why can’t I just find myself a guy who loves and respect me? I could care less if he was poor!”

My father didn’t say anything for a really long time and I thought that I had gotten myself into trouble. Finally though, after what seemed like a millennium, my father opened his mouth. “You’re right,” He said, and then he stood up and walked out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, I know, but I wanted to get it out before my trip to west virginia this weekend.
I'll try to write while I'm there but don't know how much I'll get done.