Status: writing : )

Jealous Minds Think Alike

But I am not what you are

Chapter Two


Josh came through the door and smiled as he heard the TV playing. He hadn’t expected her to be awake so soon, but he was glad she was. He slipped his coat off and then his shoes, putting them both where they belonged before striding toward the couch. He crashed beside her and kept his eyes on the television screen.

“I thought you’d still be sleeping.” He commented, the smile curling his lips more and more. She sighed heavily though and his smile fell.

“Stupid internal clock isn’t working.” She mumbled and then turned toward him. “I thought you still had practice till eight or nine?” She pouted and he shrugged in response, feeling her eyes.

“We were hitting a block as far as the writing and all goes. It was useless so we called it a night.” He explained and then turned his head toward her. “Feel like some beer and pizza?” He raised his eyebrows and she gave him a half smile in return.

“I’ve got work tonight, silly. We’ll have to skip the beer.” She picked at the threads of her shorts. She really hated working such long hours. She could honestly barely stand working her normal hours.

“You should call in.” He teased, but it was truthful teasing. He wanted her to stay. Normally, on her days off they’d go out, but she’d been working all her days off lately. He could see her already starting to think of a protest, so he hurriedly spoke up. “We haven’t had a true night with just you and me drinking, talking shit, and eating classic pizza. You’ve been working yourself mad.”

“Josh,” she started with that same tone, but he wasn’t giving up that easy.

He threw himself at her, laying his head in her lap as he grabbed both her hands tightly. “Please stay?” He blinked twice and pouted as he held her hands to his chest.

She chewed on her bottom lip and stared down at him. There really wasn’t a way she could say no to his blue eyes when he did that, but she was trying. Finally, she sighed. “You know this is going to make all of my extra hours I put in this weak just look useless?”

He grinned wickedly as he sat up. “I promise to make it worth it. She rolled her eyes.

“Let me go call in, then.” She tried to take her hands from his but he wouldn’t let her go.

“What kind of pizza would you like?” He was still grinning in that mad man sort of way, making her smile as well.

“Just cheese is fine.” She shrugged and dropped her eyes to their hands. He instantly let go of hers, as if he’d just noticed he was still holding them.

“I’ll be right back with it then.” He hurried out, giving her a gentle kiss on her cheek and a ruffle of her hair on his way.

She smoothed her hair back down before mustering up her confidence and making the call to her job. It always made her nervous to call in for work. Some relief came to her, however, when she heard Michael’s voice.

“Work Force Management; this is Michael. How can I help you?” He sounded so professional, she almost wanted to laugh.

“Hello Michael. It’s Kalysta.”

“Well, good evening to you, doll.” He chuckled, lightening her tense mood. “Don’t tell me you’re calling in?”

“I’m afraid so.” She sighed and closed her eyes. “I think I’m starting to come down with the flu.”

“You know works not near as fun without you.”

“I’m sorry.”

He laughed. “Don’t be sorry, doll. Enjoy your night off. You’ve been working too hard anyway. We’ll manage.”

“Thank you, Michael. I’ll owe you one for this.” She smiled slightly as his throaty chuckle.

“Nonsense. Have a good night, and get some fucking sleep, Kalysta.” He lowered his voice for the last bit, making sure the people around him didn’t hear his curse.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” She pulled the phone away and hung up. It took a few moments for her to pull her energy together and shuffle back toward the bedroom. She changed into a pair of Josh’s sweatpants and put on one of her own long sleeve shirts. She was tempted to slip back into the inviting bed as well, but somehow managed to drag her body back to the couch.

Josh returned with pizza and a fresh pack of beer. Kalysta grinned sleepily as he brought both to the coffee table in front of her. He sat in the middle cushion of the couch, his thigh sitting on the tips of her toes.

“It’s bloody cold out. I bet it snows before the weeks over.” He joked as he eased his coat off and tossed it over the end of the couch.

“At least the pizza’s warm.” She mumbled as she sat forward, reaching for a piece.

“As is the beer.” He made a face as he pulled one bottle out. Warm beer wasn’t his favorite, but it didn’t really matter. He was just happy to be spending the evening just the two of them. He twisted the cap off and handed the bottle to her.

“My favorite.” She commented slightly sarcastically before taking a small sip from the bottle. She cringed at the taste at first and then went back to eating the pizza.

He took another bottle and twisted the cap off the same way, tossing it to the table as he relaxed back into the couch. “Did you already call work?” He cautiously questioned as he glanced at her.

She smiled. “Yeah. I talked to Michael so it wasn’t so bad.” She shrugged.

“And now we’ve got the whole night to go crazy.” He chuckled as he watched her almost fall asleep as she chewed her pizza slowly. “What would you like to do, sweetheart?”

She hummed, forcing her eyes open. “We could watch a movie. The vampire one with the little boy and girl, you know?”

He chuckled. “It’s called Let The Right One In and I honestly doubt you’ll be able to make it through a movie.”

“We could try.”

“Ten pounds says you don’t make it past the first hour.” He smirked and she rolled her eyes.

“Ten pounds says you’re a twat.” She mumbled and he laughed as she tossed the crust to her pizza back into the box. She took a few large gulps from her beer before she sat that down too. “You going to put the movie in?”

He laughed harder as he stood up. “I truly did miss you, Kalysta.” He smiled honestly as he bent down in front of their entertainment center. He looked back at her, loving how absolutely comfortable and beautiful she looked just sitting there. “Please don’t work so much anymore?”

She giggled and shook her head. “You’re crazy, Josh.”

“Please?” He pressed, not even bothering to switch his attention to the movie in his hands or the player beside him.

She rolled her eyes again before giving in and sending him a small smile. “I promise not to work so much after I’ve got my savings for the car.” This was his turn to roll his eyes. He finally pulled his eyes from her and dropped them to the electronic device beside him.

“I think you should stop working so crazy now and just take the fucking loan from me.” He grumbled as he slipped the old DVD into the player. He straightened up and stretched before returning to his place next to her.

“You work hard for what you have. I’m not going to take it.”

“I want you to take it, Kalysta.”

“It’s not happening so shut it and turn the volume up.” He snorted but followed the directions. His lips pulled into a wide grin about twenty minutes into the movie, just as her head fell onto his shoulder and her soft snores played in his ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this story. I sort of think it's brilliant. I hope you guys do too : ) xooxEmber