Status: writing : )

Jealous Minds Think Alike

And I'm watching you

Chapter Five


Josh fidgeted with his tie as he glanced at his reflection in the mirror. His dark blue button up shirt was tucked into his black slacks, but he just couldn’t get the black tie to look like it fit right. He sighed as he eventually gave up and left the bedroom, finding Elissa patiently waiting in the living room.

“Are you ready?” He questioned her curiously as he looked her dress over. Josh knew he took a long time to get ready, but he also knew his sister took even longer.

“I did my hair and makeup earlier so all I had to do was throw the dress on.” Elissa shrugged as she stepped over to him and scrunched her eyebrows together. “What the hell’s wrong with your tie?” She reached up and started to adjust it without permission. Josh smiled to himself.

“Usually Kalysta’s here to fix it.” He commented, almost under his breath.

Elissa’s blue eyes darted up to his matching ones. “Where did the mental blond that you ‘care so much’ for go?” She teased lightly, repeating his own words of how he’d described the blond to her.

“She had to work a day shift in order to get the night off.” He avoided her eyes expertly as he stared at the wall. “She’ll be meeting us at the restaurant though, with everybody else.”

She nodded and gently flattened the tie on his chest, stepping back to admire her work. “Well, at least you look proper enough to impress her.” She smirked as his cheeks tinted pink. “Perhaps.”

“I don’t need to impress her, Liss. She’s one of my best mates.”

“Right. I totally believe that one.” Elissa rolled her eyes. “You’re crazy about her, Josh. You may not be able to see it, even the guys may not be able to see it, but I know Josh. I just know.”

“I think you’re the one going mental.” He chuckled and shook his head. “Absolutely mental. I should call the guys and tell ‘em dinners canceled cause you’ve gone off to the loony bin.”

“Why are you fighting feelings for her, anyway?” Elissa completely dismissed his taunts, throwing him off guard. He fumbled for words to explain.

“What feelings, Elissa? I-I don’t have ‘feelings’ for Kalysta. She’s a girl I live with, a roommate. That’s all.” He winced at his harsh words. That was not all Kalysta had ever been.

She placed her hands on her hips and arched both her eyebrows at him. “The girl you share a bed with, Josh.” Her tone was straightforward, as were her words. “The girl you stand up for when no one’s even putting her down. The girl you had to have me fucking meet because of how much she ‘means’ to you.”

Josh bit his bottom lip as he kept her stare. He didn’t want to admit that all those things were the truth so he bit his tongue instead.

She sighed and dropped her arms. “All I was trying to say was that I like her, okay?”

“You – you what?”

“She’s not like the birds you usually have around. I like her and I like her with you. The two of you just have this weird chemistry that everyone else can feel. I honestly can’t believe it’s been almost a year and you haven’t even asked her out.”

Josh inhaled deeply. “I told you, Liss, it’s not like that with her.” He spoke slowly, believing the words more so than she did.

“Whatever you say, Josh.” She gave up and shrugged before grabbing her purse from the couch. “Let’s head down to the place to get our tables. I’m starved already.”

He followed her out of the apartment, locking it up behind them. Most of the ride was quiet while his mind rolled over the strange conversation. He was stuck on the fact that his sister had actually admitted to liking Kalysta. Part of him had expected it because of how lovable Kalysta was, but part of him was in shock as well. He’d never seen his sister take to another girl quite like she had taken to the blond.

Once they reached the restaurant, they found Matt and Chris already waiting for them at a table set for eight. It wasn’t long before the rest of the boys showed up as well. Josh anxiously looked around the restaurant for the small blond that should have showed up ten minutes ago.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure Josh stopped listening to the conversation a while ago.” Elissa laughed as she reached over and patted her brother’s shoulder.

“Can’t really blame him.” Max smirked. “He goes a bit spacey when Kalysta’s not around.” The table chuckled as Josh rolled his eyes.

“Will you all quit talking about her like she’s my bird?” He grumbled and then ran a hand through his hair.

“So touchy.” Dan teased as Josh glared at him.

“Lighten up, Josh. We all love Kalysta. Isn’t that what matters?” All the boys eyes turned toward Elissa, their expressions slightly shocked.

“So you like our Kalysta then?” Matt raised his eyebrows and darted his eyes between Elissa and Josh.

“You should close your ears if you don’t want to hear it Josh, but I like her with him.” She shrugged and the boys grinned. “I think he should grow balls and ask her out already.”

“Aye!” The entire table shouted in agreement with the exception of Josh, who only sighed in response.

“I’m going outside to wait for Kalysta. Feel free to continue the conversation without me.” Josh stood up and glared at a few of his best mates. He then proceeded to make his way out of the restaurant, barely listening to the shouts behind him.

It was cool outside but it didn’t really bother him. He would take a cold breeze to the face over the topic at the table at any time. He frowned as the thoughts returned to his mind. Thinking of Kalysta in a way that everyone suggested made him nervous.

“Is that Fransexy standing there?” Her voice alone made him crack a smile as he turned around, completely forgetting the nerves and suggestions.

“You’re late, sweetheart.”

She rolled her eyes. “What the shit are you doing outside? It’s cold.” Her cheeks were red from just the brief walk from the car to the door.

He shrugged. “It’s a bit stuffy inside.” She gave him a knowing look and then a tight smile.

“Shall we join everyone then? I’m absolutely starved.” She grabbed his wrist without waiting for an answer and started dragging him back into the building. She only let go of him once they reached the table and everyone stood up to hug her.

Josh didn’t miss the look his sister gave either.
♠ ♠ ♠
xooxEmber