The Day After Valentine's.

1/1

It was February 14th.

To me it was just another day. Day forty-five of three-hundred and sixty-five. It was my least favorite day out of the three-hundred and sixty-five days. I never understood why people made a big deal about it. When I was in elementary had to bring Valentine's for each of our classmates, even the ones we didn't particularly like. If you misbehaved you didn't get to participate, but honestly who cared? You only got stupid little paper cards that half of the class probably threw away as soon as they got home if not during recess. I mean every now and again you got candy, but usually kids would only give it to their friends. My mother would always do my Valentine's, because I refused to participate. I didn't like half of my classmates and I saw no point in giving them stupid little cards with stupid phrases. I'd end up throwing them in the trash as soon as I got to school. I'd end up sitting alone as everyone else handed out Valentine's and ate cupcakes and cookies. I'd always sneak a cupcake anyways. As I got older the more obnoxious this Valentine's thing got. Single people hated because apparently it's worse than being single the other three-hundred and sixty-four days that they're single, and couples make a big fuss over it like it's the only time they do romantic things with the one they love. And it's not even about being single or in a relationship. It's about love. Valentine's Day has become so commercialized; it's not even special anymore. Not that it has ever been special for me. I just hate it.

My boyfriend and I don't celebrate it. He was one of those people who absolutely loved Valentine's Day. He'd give Valentine's to his friends and his mother. He still does, he just doesn't give any to me because I refuse to accept Valentine's. I still remember our first encounter clearly. It was Valentine's Day. He was a freshman in high school and I was a senior. The halls were filled with red and pink everything and girls clutching gigantic teddy bears. He approached me at my locker. He was so small--and still is--and he looked up at me with those big brown eyes of his and held up a small tan bear that held a box of assorted chocolates. In his soft, angelic voice he stumbled and stuttered over his words as he asked me to be his Valentine. I began to laugh along with my friend and almost regretted it as his eyes started to water. "Sorry, kid. I don't accept Valentine's." I told him as my laughter died down. "Yeah, especially from nerdy little freshmen," my friend had to add. Tears began to stream down his face and he tried to say something but couldn't get the words out. He sat the bear down and ran down the hall disappearing in the mass of people. I looked after him and my heart sunk in my chest. My friend laughed muttering "loser" as he bent down to retrieve the box of chocolates. I swatted his hand away and bent down to grab the bear then I went down the hall in search of the boy I now call my boyfriend.

I found him bawling his eyes out in the restroom. I knocked softly on the door of the stall he was in and when I didn't get a response I just pushed the door open. He was sitting on the floor and I knelt down beside him and absent-mindly ran my fingers in his then blonde hair. He finally looked up at me through watery eyes and I offered him a small, apologetic smile. I gently wiped the tears away with my thumb and looked into his eyes that were still glistening with tears. "Yes, I'll be your Valentine," I said and his eyes lit up causing me to smile before I leaned in to kiss him softly on the lips. Yeah, our first kiss was on the floor in a bathroom stall at school on Valentine's Day. It was the first time I ever showed affection towards anyone and also the first and last time I sort of celebrated Valentine's Day. Later, I explained to him how I felt about Valentine's Day but I accepted his present anyways. After that I didn't talk to him much after all I was only his Valentine which only lasts for a day, but later I asked him to prom and that summer I asked him to be my boyfriend.
A smile spread across my face at the memories.

"Hey, Payton, you still here, bro or....?"

I blinked and noticed Harper was waving his hand in front of my face. "Were you saying something important or...?" I asked.

Harper scoffed dramatically. "Everything I say is important," he stated matter-of-factly.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Whatever. What did you want?" I asked leaning against the counter.
The diner was pretty cramped with couples in for Valentine's Day. I stayed safe behind the counter and let Harper and the others deal with them. I couldn't be bothered.

"It's a lovely day out," he said and I narrowed my eyes at him. He just grinned and began to walk away. "Oh, and your boyfriend just arrive," he added causing me to perk up at the mention of my boyfriend.

Looking towards the entrance, a small boy with wide brown eyes and green hair entered the diner with a small girl who was just a few inches taller than him and bright pink hair. They both had their backpacks on their backs and were giggling at something as they entered the small diner. I eagerly jumped over the counter ignoring the disapproving sounds of my boss. I took the small boy in my arms earning a surprised gasp from him as the girl beside us cooed. After a while I let go of him and looked down at his flushed face and grinned. I wanted to kiss him so bad, but we didn't go past hugging on Valentine's. Call me what you want, but I didn't want to be part of the tradition. I wanted to start my own traditions with him. And we both agreed that we wouldn't be all 'couple-y' on Valentine's Day.

"I missed you, Oakley."

He blushed and looked down at his TOMS before looking back up at me. "Missed you, too," he said quietly.

We've been dating for about two years now and he was still so shy around me. It was honestly the cutest thing ever. I grinned down at the boy and took his backpack before leading him to the bar.

The pink-haired girl cleared her throat loudly behind us. "Honestly, is Oakley the only person you see?"

Yes. "Oh, hey, Irene. Didn't see you there."

She let out an obnoxious sigh causing Oakley to giggle and I chuckled quietly. They sat on the stools at the bar as I climbed back over the counter placing Oakley's backpack in front of him. Harper set a cup of tea and a plate of red velvet cake in front of each of them and the way Oakley's eyes lit up made me smile. Red velvet was his favorite. I watched as he began to eat the cake, icing and pieces of cake around his mouth. I just wanted to kiss it away. He looked up at me mid-bite and caught me watching him. His cheeks heated up and I chuckled as I grabbed a napkin wiping it away for him. He silently thanked me before he continued eating.

"Oakley gave me a Valentine!" Irene exclaimed suddenly. She grabbed her backpack and pulled out a handmade card, a small Rilakumma plush and blow-pops that were wrapped as if they were a bouquet of flowers.

"Aw, that's so sweet! Where is mine, Oakley?" Harper said coming up beside me

"Oh, yeah!" Oakley unzipped his backpack and pulled out a small card and a box of assorted chocolates holding them out to Harper.

"Oh, thanks, Oakley. I was totally kidding though," Harper said taking the gift.

Oakley shrugged and finished up his cake. "Aw, Oaks, you're so sweet," I cooed.

Oakley blushed and looked down at his cup of tea. "I can't wait to give you your present," he said softly.

"And I can't wait to give you your present," I said winking. His cheeks heated up again and I smirked.
"You're going to love what he got you, Payton!" Irene chimed in.

"It's not that great," Oakley disagreed.

"Aw, anything from you is great."

"That was so lame, go away!" Harper said loudly as he pushed me and started to laugh.
I punched him in the shoulder in return and he groaned as he grabbed it.

"I can't wait to kiss you," I whispered to Oakley.

"Me either," he said just as quietly.

Irene scoffed. "You two can kiss if you want! That's such a dumb tradition! I'd go crazy if I couldn't kiss my boyfriend."

"No one asked for you opinion." I snapped.

"Actually, I think it's pretty cute," Oakley said softly. "Besides, couples shouldn't survive on physical contact online."

Grinning, I say,"You're pretty cute."

Irene made gagging noises and Harper groaned. "That's it. I'm going to be busy over there before I end up puking all over you guys," Harper said before walking away. I chuckled as Oakley shyly bit his lip.

We spent the rest of the evening making small talk and Irene trying to figure out what I had planned for tomorrow until Harper and I had to clean up and lock up. Oakley and I bid out friends goodbye before I took him home. We sat in the car in front of his house enjoying each other's company. I looked over at Oakley who was staring at me. I grinned and blushed like always. I grabbed one of his hands and just stared into his beautiful brown eyes.

"I'm looking forward to our day tomorrow, though I always look forward to spending time with you," I say.

Oakley hummed in agreement. "Me too."

After a few more minutes of staring into each other's eyes we got out of the car and I walked him up to the door. "Goodnight, love. See you in the morning."

"Night, Payton," Oakley whispered wrapping is arms around me in a hug.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥


Good morning, love. See you in a few minutes for breakfast. ♥

Can't wait!!! <333

I smiled at Oakley's reply then set my phone down so I could began straightening my hair. Instead of celebrating Valentine's Day like 99.9% (yes I sort of exaggerated here) of the the world Oakley and I celebrated the day after Valentine's. It was our tradition for the past two years. Since I had a nice, loving, caring and understanding boss--whom I had to persuade and beg and give some of my valuable time to--I had the day off and Oakley and I spent the whole day together. Luckily it was on a Saturday this year. If it was a school day I only spend half of the day with Oakley because he refused to skip school. After I was dress in a nice heather gray button down shirt, loose fitting jeans, my favorite pair of Vans and a nice jacket, I grabbed my keys and headed to Oakley's place.

"Good morning, Ms. Parkstin!" I greeted the middle-aged woman, who was like a mother to me, as she opened the door.

She smiled a warm smile. ""Good morning, Payton. Oakley will be down in a minute. You know how he take hours in the bathroom."

I chuckled as I entered the comforts of my boyfriend's home. "Yes, I am quite aware of his girly antics."

"Would you like anything to drink?" she asked as she entered the kitchen.

"No, ma'am," I answered politely as I entered the dining room to wait for my boyfriend.

"Mom! I'm out of mascara, can I borrow yours?" I heard that beautiful voice call through the house.]

I heard his mom sigh from the kitchen. "Fine, Oakley. Just hurry up, Payton is here."

There was a high pitch squeal followed by a frustrated groan. "Why didn't you tell me!"

I got up from my seat and entered the living room. A few minutes later Oakley was descending the stairs. He wore his hair natural except for his bangs which were straight. He wore a white crop top that had the word YOU on the front and a gray cardigan over that, skin-tight skinny jeans and his favorite pair of combat boots. He was also carrying a big bad with a simple heart on it and my name in big letters.

"My Princess has finally arrived."

He bit his lips as he stepped off the last step and stood in front of me. "Sorry I took so long, I-"

My lips were on his before he could finish. I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him close with the bag squished between our bodies. My tongue pushed passed his lips and I ran it over every inch of his mouth. He let out a small groan and I pulled away before things got out of control. It'd be kinda awkward with his mom in the next room.

"I've been waiting 24 hours to do that," I breathed.

"Me too," Oakley grinned.

"By the way, you look beautiful as always," I whispered pecking his lips again.

"Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself," he answered.

"Ready?" I asked and he nodded eagerly. I grabbed his hand and led him in the kitchen so he could tell his mother goodbye.

"You two be careful and have fun," she said giving us both a hug and placing kisses on our cheeks.

"We will Momma, see you tomorrow," Oakley said before we walked out of the house.

I opened the car door for him and shut it when he was safe inside before walking around to the driver's side and getting in myself. After buckling in I looked over at Oakley who was currently on his phone probably texting Irene and smiled. I pulled away from the curb and headed to our first destination, iHOP. Before I could even stop the car good Oakley hopped out of the car. We went inside and got a table for two and ordered our drinks. I looked over the menu while Oakley bounced up and down across from me. He already knew what he wanted.

"Red velvet pancakes!" Oakley exclaimed as soon as our waitress came over.

I chuckled and shook my head while the waitress giggled. "I'll have the Chicken Florentine crepes, please."

"Alright, I'll have it out A.S.A.P," she said before going to fill our order.

"Ugh, I cant wait to have those pancakes in my tummy," Oakley sighed, still bouncing in his seat.
I watched my boyfriend in amusement until our waitress brought our food out. Oakley all but moaned at the sight of his red velvet pancakes and immediately dug in. I shook my head at him and buried my food in Sriracha before digging in. The rest of our breakfast consisted of Oakley moaning every time he took a bite of his pancakes. It took everything in me to keep from jumping across the table.

After our breakfast we went for a walk in the park until Oakley wanted to go on the swings. Then we went to Petco just to play with the kittens. After playing with the kittens we went roller skating. Stupid little kids kept knocking me down which really pissed me off, but Oakley was giggling and having fun and that made my mood a lot better.

"Let's go get frozen yogurt!" Oakley said excitedly.

"Anything you want, beautiful," I replied kissing his cheek.

We went to a frozen yogurt place called Sweet Frog and ate inside. Oakley chatted about any and everything. Every now and again I would catch what he was saying, but I was honestly just admiring his beauty. I loved how quiet and shy he was, but I also loved when he was like this. Oakley was pouting now and a frown spread across my lips.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"You're not even listening!" he whined.

My frown was immediately replaced with a smirk. "Because I was thinking about how sexy you are and how I just want to kiss you all over and do other things to you."

Oakley's cheeks were so bright right now. "Payton," he whined punching me in the arm. I laughed out loud and leaned forward to kiss his cheek.

After some more teasing and finishing our froyo we headed to the mall. We went into some of our favorite stores and bought a few things until we were hungry and tired. Before we went back to my place we stopped at the park and went up on the hill. I wrapped my arm around Oakley's waist as we looked up at the darkening sky and watched the sun disappear behind the horizon.

"Payton, I had a great time today, but I always enjoy our time together," Oakley whispered.

I pulled him closer to me and kissed his temple. "Me too," I whispered back.

We stood in silence just enjoying each other's presence and watched the sun completely disappear from the sky. The sound of Oakley's stomach grumbling interrupted the silence causing me to laugh and Oakley to blush and punch me in the arm. I wonder if he knew his punches didn't hurt.

"Hungry?" I asked and he nodded, so we headed back to my place.

When we made it inside we put on some comfortable clothes and I heated up the food I had prepared the night before. I made shrimp nachos and spinach rice. It wasn't fancy, but it was us and Oakley loved it, not as much as he loved red velvet but he liked it a lot. After we ate we cuddled on my couch and watched Disney movies.

"Ready for your present?" I asked when we were halfway through the third movie.

Oakley looked at me with wide eyes and nodded eagerly. "Yes!"

I grinned at his enthusiasm. "Okay, go grab the present you have for me and meet me in the bedroom."

Oakley got up from the couch and went to go fetch the bag as I went to go wait for him in my room. I grabbed the present I had for Oakley and sat on my bed waiting for him. He came running into the room and plopped down on the bed beside me.

I sat the bag on his lap and he handed me the bag and I sat it on the floor in front of me. "You first," I said.

I watched as he took the tissue paper out of the bag and then pulled out the Pikachu jacket that was neatly folded inside. He gasped and then threw his arms around my neck. "Thank you so much!" he exclaimed then pressed a simple kiss to my lips.

"I'm glad you like it," I grinned.

"Okay, your turn!" he said happily.

I began pulling the tissue paper out of my bag. There was a gray scarf, a stuffed bunny, a sketchbook, a scrapbook, a CD with some of our favorite songs, a card and a journal with poems he wrote for me. Everything was handmade by him except for the sketchbook and the CD but he chose the songs to put on the CD. I placed everything back in the bag and pulled Oakley into a kiss.

"I love everything. I like how you took the time to make me things. Thank you," I said before pulling him into another kiss. This time he took control and pushed his tongue passed my lips and let it roam my mouth. I groaned into the kiss and laid back with Oakley on top of me. I pulled away and kissed and sucked at his neck. He whimpered and squirmed around causing me to let out a moan, my body arching up off the bed.

"Payton," Oakley whined from above me.

We had never done anything besides making out and I gave him a few hand jobs here and there. He's always been too shy to do anything and he wanted to at least wait until after he graduated high school before having sex. I honestly didn't mind because before him I never though twice about being in a relationship.

"Hmmm Oakley." I went back to kissing his lips gently.

"I love you, Payton," Oakley whispered as he pulled away clutching my shirt tightly.

"Love you, too, Oaks." I placed another kiss to his lips and he sighed in content as he cuddled into me.

"Happy day after Valentine's love," I said as I absent-mindly played with his green hair.

He giggled. "Happy day after Valentine's, Payton," he whispered.

This was a tradition I didn't mind keeping.
♠ ♠ ♠
bleh. I've had this idea for a while. Dunno how I feel about it though....