We Musn't be Late

1/1

Oh my head, I thought to myself as I opened my eyes gently. There was a white light in my face. Where was I?
I try to move the muscles in my arm, but it was not happening I lift my head slightly and momentarily look down; strapped across my chest. “Hello?” I shout out, my voice is hoarse. “Hello!” I shout again, straining the little voice I had.
I rattle my arms, they feel raw. I try to kick my legs but have little success. My body will scarcely move. I lay my head back down; it only appears to be my head that isn’t tied down.
“Alice,” a whisper calls; I turn my head to the right to see nothing. “Alice,” lifting my head I look at the door.
“W-what are you?” I choke out trying my hardest to release my body from the straps.
“Alice,” there was a colossal pile of black sludge lying in front of the door, dripping from the ceiling. On the floor doll heads rolled around; their dismembered limbs stick out of the sludge.
I slam my head on the table and close my eyes. It’s just a dream. I keep telling myself. I open them back up and look at the ceiling; “Alice Liddell,” I read, it was written in the black sludge. Closing my eyes again I scream my heart out.
“Leave me alone!” I vociferate; I clench my fists until I felt my hands were dripping wet.
“Patient name Alice Liddell.” I look at the door way to see two women walk in. Their clothes were ripped, their skin was missing from their stomach and arms, I could clearly see their bones.
“Don’t touch me,” I shout as I whack my head off the table.
“Talk of Wonderland and hands are bleeding. Bind them.” One woman says as her tongue sticks out her mouth, it is split into two. “Severe suffering from Schizophrenia. Twenty- three years of age.” By this point I was roaring the place down, I was shouting every cuss word that came to my mind, I was whacking my head and shouting all sorts of nonsense. I don't know what was happening to me, I had to get out of here. I could feel my body boil up, by head was aching as I continued to hit it off the table.
“Cheshire,” I mumble, that’s when I calm down for a second. I saw the cat and the white rabbit stand by the window. I had to follow them. I examine the rabbit first; he has lost one ear and his jaw and his skin were rotting away. The Cheshire cat was deadly thin with an ear piercing. This is not at all how I remember it thirteen years ago.
“We’re late, Alice.” The rabbit sighed.
I look back up at the ‘nurses’. They were not hovering over me anymore. I glance at the floor and see them lying there, blood squirting out their necks. I sit up to notice that my body was free.
“That is not at all polite, Cheshire.” I remark, removing the knife lying beside their bodies.
“It was not I, how could I for I am not here.” I gaze around the room to realise he was right.
“How could I?” I question as I wipe the blood onto my white jacket.
“Nothing is impossible.”
“I recall you saying when I was a little girl,” I sigh.
I held the blade tightly in my hands as I open the door; complete darkness. I press my bare foot on the floor board and hear the familiar creaking sound. I had to be careful not to be seen. The hallway was dimly lit, the floorboards were cold and cutting into my feet. All I could hear was the belt buckles on my jacket clicking together.
Suddenly, I hear screaming. I approach the slightly ajar door and peer through the gap. It was those nurses again, their faces have been replaced with fly heads, and their scrubs had blood splatter on it. They were pinning down a doll and dismembering its limbs. I cover my mouth and back away in disgust.
“Out of bed again, Alice?” Gasping, I turn around to see a woman with no skin; just bones.
“Leave me alone.” I scream as I plunge the knife forward and drop it. “Who am I?” I question as I examine the blood on my hands.
“We’re late,” I spin around to see the white rabbit run away. I follow it, I run through the door and follow the rabbit down the stairs.
“Alice,” I hear, I turn around for a second to see all the beasts running towards me. I take a deep breath and follow the rabbit.
“Mr. Rabbit,” I call as I open the front door and run out. “Dammit,” I sigh, it was raining heavily. “Wait!” I shout, running after him again.
“She’s going to get herself killed!” I hear from the door.
I follow the rabbit down a mud road; I felt my bare feet sink right into the mud and over some rocks. I run though a small field, I could no longer feel my feet, I was dripping wet and the blood stains on me were dripping off my coat. I look around me, the sky was grey as rain poured from it. I could faintly hear the roars of a river, the trees swayed in the stabbing wind.
“I do not remember here,” I tell myself as I come to a stop.
“Hurry now,” I look ahead to see the rabbit standing by a river tapping his pocket watch as usual.
“There's a saying you know,” I turn to my right to see the Cheshire cat. “Those who chase a white rabbit are simply crazy.”
“I am not crazy; my reality is just different from yours.” I hiss before running up to the rabbit.
“About time, follow me.” He sighs in desperation as he jumps into the river.
“No!” I shout, but it was too late. I turn back around to see the Cheshire cat smiling, grinning in fact.
“They’re coming, Alice.” He announces before disappearing, I look closely into the horizon to see people running through the field.
Without thinking about it, I turn around and jump in the river. I close my eyes and go under the water.
“Mr. Rabbit,” I try to say. I couldn’t see him. I start to feel my head go faint and my eyelids grow heavy.
- - -
“Hatter, could you pass me the tea-pot?”
“Of course, Alice.” The tea-pot was then handed to Alice.
“Alice, do you know why Hatters go mad?”
“Yes I do know. Mercury was used in felt, which was used to make hats; the metal would then be in their blood often causing them to go mad.”
“Clever girl, how old are you now?”
“Ten years old,” then girl smiled as she sipped on her tea cup.
“Getting big, aren’t you. They say that when you die, you return to your happiest place. Where might yours be, Alice?”
“Right now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like it, I have to hand it in for English so please let me know what could be improved or what is good.
Thanks x