Treason

Disloyalty

Present Day

My heart beats loudly as I finish recalling the past. That night was the last time I saw Batman. I walk up to his door, knocking loudly. Alfred Pennyworth opens the door, his eyes suddenly widen as he realizes who I am.

"D-Dick Grayson?" he questions.

"Alfred, you look well."

"And you? You've grown into a man," he moves aside, allowing me to walk into the mansion.

"Bruce isn't here right now. He - he's gone out. If you had come during the daylight -,"

"I know, I wanted to surprise him."

"Well, why don't you wait." I walk inside, standing near the fireplace. Alfred constantly asks me if I need something, he asks me to sit, but I decline everything he offers. I stay standing for a good two hours. I hear noises and Alfred comes in, "He's here." he speaks.

I look behind him and Bruce Wayne stands beside him.

"D-Dick," he says, moving closer to get a better look.

"The same reaction as Alfred," I say, sending him a quick smile.

"I just - I wasn't expecting this. It's been - it's been years."

"Wow, Batman's speechless. That's new." I smile. He pulls me into a tight hug, I hug him back, trying desperately not to break. I keep my smile in tact as we depart.

"You've forgiven me?" he questions.

"How could I not? I realized you were right anyway. What have you been up to?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"We'll talk later."

"Alright. Follow me."

I follow him through the same path he had lead me before. I'm shocked to discover that he hasn't changed anything, as if he's been thinking all along that I would never come back and try to hurt him. We get to the Batmobile.

"It looks different." I say.

"Yes, we've changed it." he hits the side of it with his cane, continuing to walk with confidence.

"Is this just an act you put up?" I ask.

"What do you mean?"

"That cane, the limp, what is that?"

"Long story." he says.

He continues showing me the the things that have changed. I try changing the subject but he doesn't seem to be interested.

"There's someone new after me."

"How do you know he's after you?"

"He knows if he threatens Gotham City I show up."

"Then don't show up."

"If I don't show up, people die."

"Then don't save them."

He looks up at me, his eyes widening as I smile.

"You've changed."
♠ ♠ ♠
Almost done. This is a three shot.