My New Parents Are Who

1

I walked home from the Music Box Wednesday afternoon with my guitar case in one hand and my Ipod blasting the King and I soundtrack. The walk took nearly an hour but I always enjoyed these walks, plus it’s good exercise. I got to my house around five and I wasn’t prepared for the sight there.

Two police cars were in front of the house. When I came into view the doors opened and four police officers came out. They came up to me and I took a small step back.

“Are you Sadie Royce?” the man nearest me asked.

“Yes,” I said warily.

“May we come inside?”

“My parents aren’t home.”

“We know. May we please come in?”

“I guess.”

I unlocked the door and let the four cops in. there were three men and one woman. We went into the living room and I sat in the recliner while they sat on the couch.

“Did I do something?” I asked.

“No,” one of the men said.

“Then why are you here?”

“I know this may come as a shock to you but your parents are…dead,” the man who asked to come in said.

“What?”

“They were shot at a store robbery. The criminal is now in jail where he will stay without probation.”

“My parents are dead?”

“Yes.”

“Then where will I live?”

“You will be put up for adoption?”

“Adoption?”

“Yes,” the woman said. “An adoption agency will find a family suitable for you. Then you will meet with them. If you don’t think they’ll be good parents then the agency will find you a new family. Until then do you have somewhere to stay?”

“Would it be alright if I stayed with my aunt?” this was getting to be to much.

“If it’s alright with her. Why don’t you go call and then let me talk to her.”

I nodded and took out my phone. I dialed my Aunt Marie’s number.

“Hello?”

“Hi Aunt Marie.”

“Oh hi, Sadie. What’s up

“Can I stay over for a few days? Something’s happened?”

“What happened?”

“Mom and dad were killed.”

“What?!”

“I’ll explain it later. Can I just stay for a few days?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Here, can you talk to the police officer?”

“Yes.”

I handed the phone to the woman and she started talking. She told Aunt Marie everything. A few minutes later she said bye, hung up the phone, and handed it to me.

“Once you pack a bag or two we’ll bring you over there. You only need clothes and any other necessities you think you need. Once we have a family chosen you’ll come back and pack everything else.”

“What will I do with my parents’ things?”

“You may store them, sell them, or give them to your family to take care of.”

“Why can’t I just live with my family permanently?”

“Because they aren’t authorized to adopt you.”

“Oh. Should I pack now?”

“Yes. I’ll come with you and drive you over. You three may leave.” She said to the other officers. I guessed she was sort of in charge. They left and she turned to me with a soft smile. “Now, why don’t you show me to your room?”