My New Parents Are Who

2

I led her to my room and put my guitar against the wall. She stood by the door and looked around.

“Sorry about the mess.”

“You like to read, don’t you?” she asked, pointing to my bookcase which was filled.

“Yes, it’s one of my favorite things.”

I got my Jack Skellington suitcase and went to my dresser. I got out a few days worth of clothes and a hoodie. Then I got my phone and Ipod chargers, two books, and a few more things. I grabbed my bag, bookbag, and guitar and followed the lady, who told me her name was Ms. Cleethy, out to the police car.

I sat up front with her and gave her the directions to my aunt’s house. In about eight minutes she pulled up in front of the house. I grabbed my bags and guitar and led Ms. Cleethy up to the door. Without bothering to knock I opened the door and went inside.

“Aunt Marie? Cath? Boy?”

“Boy?” Ms. Cleethy asked.

“That’s what we call my cousin Cody.”

“Sadie? Oh Sadie!” Aunt Marie said before attacking me in a hug. “You must be the officer I talked to before.”

“Yes. I just wanted to make sure she would be alright here. I’ll be in contact in a few days with the adoption information. Here’s my contact information if you need anything. Sadie, I’ll see you later.”

“Bye Ms. Cleethy. Thanks for helping me.”

she gave me a smile. “Anytime. Goodbye.”

She left and Aunt Marie turned to me.

“Come on in. I’m sorry but you’ll have to sleep either in the living room, basement, or Cody’s room. I doubt you want to sleep on Cathy’s floor.”

“I’m fine with the living room.”

“I can’t believe this happened,” she started to tear up a little.

“Neither can I.”

We were sitting in the kitchen talking. I had a cup of tea and she had a glass of wine. Cathy and Cody weren’t home yet so it was just the two of us.

“I guess we have to make the funeral arrangements,” I said quietly.

“We’ll start that tomorrow. Do you want to miss school?”

“Yeah, I’m not ready to face everyone.”

“Ok. I’ll call in the morning. What would you like to do tonight to get your mind off everything?”

“I guess I’ll just watch a movie, I’m not really in the mood to do anything else.”

“Ok, go pick out a movie from Cath’s room and I’ll make you some more tea.”

I chose Moulin Rouge. I would be able to loose myself in it and just forget about reality for a little while. Aunt Marie watched it with me and every so often she would throw a glance at me like she was waiting for me to break down. That’s what I was confused about. Shouldn’t I be depressed and bawling my eyes out? I mean I cry my eyes out during Christmas Shoes but my parents die and I just watch Moulin Rouge? What’s wrong with me?

In the back of my mind I knew what was wrong. I was still in denial. In my thoughts I just told myself this was just another sleepover. I didn’t want to accept the truth because that would make it real.

When the movie ended Aunt Marie went to bed. Cath and Cody had come home in the middle of it and they both knew. Neither of them were going to school tomorrow.

The lights were off and I looked around. Then the reality over ruled my denial. I cried myself to sleep.