My New Parents Are Who

3

The next few days were hell for me. All we did was plan the funeral. Aunt Marie and my other aunt, Sherry, mostly did that but every so often I would have to help.

My friends called constantly to see how I was doing. I would pretend to be all right but they knew I was lying. I didn’t go back to school yet, I wasn’t ready.

The funeral was Monday; we wanted it as soon as possible. I cried through the whole thing and to top it off it rained. Cath and I went back to the house instead of the restaurant with everyone else. We watched Tim Burton movies until Aunt Marie and Cody came home.

Wednesday, a week after it all started, Cathy and Cody went back to school. I still stayed home. Aunt Marie went to the school and brought me my homework everyday so I wouldn’t fall behind. I was glad she did, it helped take my mind off things.

Saturday, Ms. Cleethy called at one. Aunt Marie picked up the phone and handed it to me.

“Hello?”

“Sadie? It’s Ms. Cleethy. The adoption agency has found you a good couple. They’ve been married for a few months.”

“Ok.”

“When would you like to meet them?”

“I don’t care.”

“How about tomorrow?”

“Sure.”

“Ok, be ready by ten. The ride will be about two hours. Can I speak with your aunt?”

“Sure.”

The next morning Ms. Cleethy picked me up. Aunt Marie wanted to go but I wanted to do this alone. I had Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with me so I could read and take my mind off my anxiety.

“Are you sure you want to go dressed like that?” Ms. Cleethy asked, eyeing my outfit.

I had on a Sweeney Todd thermal, a pair of black jeans, a black and red plaid skirt, and my converses.

“Yes. The couple needs to know what they’re getting themselves into if they adopt me. I’m going as myself.”

“Sounds like an ok plan, I guess.”

The car ride was silent, I read and Ms. Cleethy didn’t bother me. Two hours later she stopped the car in front of a house in northern Jersey.

“Are you ready for this?”

“I guess I have to be,” I said with a weak smile.

We got out of the car and walked up to the door. Ms. Cleethy rang the doorbell and waited until the door opened.

“Ms. Cleethy, are you sure this is the right house?”

“Yes, why?”

Because standing in front of me were Frank Iero and his wife Jamia.