My New Parents Are Who

9

A week after I started school it was October 30, one day until Halloween. I was sitting next to Amy in science when announcements came on.

“Good morning everyone!” the overly happy senior said. He reminded me of the super happy guy at the Wendy’s drive through back at my old house, he could always make you smile. This guy however made you want to shoot him because of how early in the morning it was. “As you should all know tomorrow is Halloween! Time for parties, Trick or Treating, and costumes! While we’re on the topic of costumes tomorrow you’re allowed to wear them as long as you don’t wear a mask and the costume is school appropriate. AKA no super gruesome or revealing outfits. Sorry ladies but that means no super short skirts or low-cut tops.” He then started rambling about something.

“Are you wearing a costume?” I asked Amy.

“Most likely not, I’m not very into Holiday spirits. Are you?”

“Yeah. Are you at least dressing up and going out?”

“I don’t know. Rose is trying to make me go.”

“I think you should, have some fun.”

The rest of the day all people were talking about was what they were doing tomorrow. Most were going to a huge party some senior was throwing. When school was over I walked home with Amy. She lived a few blocks away from me.

“What are you being for Halloween?” she asked as she skipped. Out of school she was a lot kinder, I think she was just tough so no one messed with her or her friends.

“Can’t tell you, it’s going to be a surprise.”

“Can I have a hint?”

“Cold,” I said with a smile.

“A snowman?” she guessed as we came up to her house.”

“Not even close, see you tomorrow.”

“Bye Sadie Lee.”

I left her and continued onto my house. Jamia was at work and Frank has been practicing with the boys a lot lately so neither of them were home. I quickly did the dishes then went upstairs and changed into my Pink Panther pj pants. Then I got my notebook, Betrayed, my cell phone, and one of my favorite movies, Sweeney Todd.

I was watching it in the living room when Frank came home. It was at the first killing part and I was hiding my face behind the notebook.

“Hey Sadie. What’s hap-oh my God! What are you watching?” he asked when he saw the TV.

“Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street.” I said, looking at the TV now that the killing was over.

“What is this rated?”

“R.”

“Were you allowed to watch this?”

“Yeah I mean the only bad stuff is the killing and the language isn’t the kindest but it’s not like I’ve never heard it all before. Plus I close my eyes at the killing.”

“Well…alright then but I’m watching it with you.”

“Want me to start from the beginning?”

“Ok.”

I restarted the movie and everything was fine until all the killing started.

“These people are crazy!” Frank said.

“No just angry.”

When it finished I turned it off and looked at Frank.

“What’d you think?”

“Are you sure you’re allowed to watch this?”

“Yep!”

“Whatever,” he sighed. “So are you ready for Trick or Treating?”

“Yean. Is it just going to be us?”

“Yep the guys and Jamia are all busy. What are you being?”

“It’s a secret.”

“Come on tell me!”

“Nope.”

“Please.”

“Nuh uh. You’ll have to wait and find out tomorrow morning.”

“You’re going to school in your costume?”

“Yeah. We should start dinner. When’s Jamia getting home?”

“Around seven. What do you want to eat?”

“I don’t care. Let’s go see what there is.”

We went in the kitchen and started looking around. Since we really didn’t feel like making much I made perogies. By the time they were finished Jamia was home. She was happy we made dinner and didn’t burn down the house; I’m a little surprised too.

“So tomorrow you two will go out at about five, five-thirty depending on when the little kids start going out. Then you can be home by nine so we can have a horror movie marathon, as long as that’s ok with you,” Jamia said to me.

“Sure, if it gets to scary I’ll go upstairs.” I said, trying to keep a straight face.

“Oh I saw Sweeney Todd in the living room, who was watching it?” she asked.

“I was watching it then Frank came home and we watched it together. Have you seen it?”

“Yeah, it was so cool!”

Frank looked at her shocked. I guess he thought she would hate it.