‹ Prequel: Been to Hell
Status: Don't be a silent reader :)

The Way You Lie

Already!?

I left Emily to sleep, knowing that I had scared her did hurt me but I wasn’t dwelling on it. I was just so excited that I had successfully got her out of that factory without any complications. This is freaking awesome! We’re both unharmed and safe….granted it was with an ex-girlfriend. I’m still unsure how to really tell that to Emily. Though she has to see that Carley has a child and nothing will be happening between us.

In the livening room Carley was rocking her toddler in her arms, softly singing to him. He was at the most four years old and looked just like his father, whose name was Brent. I remember when they were together in high school, he got together with her after I did. Of course like me-and half of the football team-got caught up in either habits or a shitty life. As far as I know Brent was in jail for robbing a wal-mart or something. Sadly it was for Carley and her-their-child. She felt terrible and that would be why she is helping me, I’m more of his friend then hers and I wouldn’t doubt that he asked her.

“I thought I asked you to go to bed, Zane.” She whispered softly, curling the child into a blanket and continuing to rock him in her lap.

I watched closely, taking in her long light blonde hair that seemed tangled and limp, and her skinny body that just looked tired and worn. She looked like she couldn’t make it without him, that she was in a downwards spiral. Would I be like that if I didn’t have Emily? Was I like that before she was here? No, that wouldn’t make any sense. Back then I didn’t know what I was missing, I just knew that she was beautiful and that I had to have her no matter what it meant.

I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against something. I do believe it was the back end of an arm chair but I wasn’t really paying attention. “How long until he gets out, Carley?”

She narrowed her tired brown eyes at me and pursed her lips. “I don’t think that’s any of your business, Zane.” I noticed her tightening her arms around the child, almost waking him up. He stirred a little and whined but never opened his eyes.

“Carley, who am I going to tell? Come on, do you need help here?” I pressed, probably just pissing her off. To be honest I was worried about her, but I thought I needed to protect my Emily more then her. As mean as it sounds, Emily is my life and Carley is just my past.

She sighed, looking at me with those sad eyes. “They said that he would be out next month, but social services is threatening to take him away.” She gestured to her child. My heart hurt for this poor girl, but what could I do. Now that she has told me this I’m not sure what to ever tell her. “Zane, when you get out will you talk to him, I know you can sneak into the visitors section of the jail without being caught, they always stand at my side when I’m talking to him, I feel like I can’t tell him about the troubles.”

I thought about that for a moment. Could I get into the jail without being caught myself? They are looking for me, should I risk it. I mean I’m going to have to take Emily to the hospital anyway…what could go wrong?

“I-” I was cut off by banging on the door, it suddenly flew open and Riley stood in the door way. My heart latterly plummeted to my stomach and I backed away quickly. Axel stood behind him, almost looking as terrified as I was. Please Emily wake up right now and run, please. “Riley? I-”

He glared at me then turned to Axel. “Find her.”

~Emily’s Point of View~

I smiled into my dream, cuddling into the soft bed and imagining that Zane was cuddling with me. Not that he was, I knew even in my dreams that he wasn’t there. Though I did also know that he was off talking to Carley about our next move. I found myself humming with pleasure against the pillow, so happy that I was warm again, also because I might be having a heated little dream about Zane and I. What can I say, I haven’t been with him that way in a long time and I think my subconscious knows it.

The bedroom door flew open, making me jump out of my dream and whip my head to the door way. Axel stood there with a horrified look on his face, shit how did they find us? His eyes were wild and I found myself thinking he wasn’t himself, because of that I shrunk back into the bed in fear. My body screamed in protest at the movements. He raised his finger to his lips in a movement that warned me to be quiet, was he actually going to let me go?

He turned back to the hallway and shut the door, I instantly found myself scrambling quietly to get underneath the bed. Then I strained my ears for noises. Carley was hissing at Riley to leave her alone and then I heard Zane’s grunt of pain. It was as if someone had punched him. I placed a hand over my mouth so not to scream for him.

“She’s not here Riley, he must have taken her somewhere else, she’s probably hidden in the next house.” Axel informed loudly, though I didn’t hear him move from the door, it was as if he was guarding it from Riley. Guarding me from Riley.

Riley snarled a little bit and I heard him shove Zane into the wall, it almost seemed like Zane was letting Riley bully him around. “I know she’s here, he’d never leave that girl alone. Where is she, Zane?”

I heard a spitting sound then a smacking one. Zane’s laughing filled the house. “You’ll never find her, Riley. Axel’s right she’s not here.” There was another punching sound and Carley’s shriek of fear. I felt terrible for her having to see that.

Riley snorted a little bit out of anger, his voice sending chills down my spine. “I’m bringing him back, find her Axel.”

I heard Zane fighting with him a little bit and then a door slam, then Carley’s sniffling along with her child’s and then the door to the bed room opening again. He paused in shock for a moment, looking at the bed although all I could see were his winter hunting boots. He then dropped to the floor and smirked at me.

“I’m happy to see you in one shape at least.” He whispered, crawling his way through the toys until he cold reach in and gently pull me out. When he finally managed to get me out I was whimpering quietly from pain, in return he felt sorry and curled me against his chest. “Don’t scare me like that, I thought we were going to find you in the forest dead.”

I leaned my cheek against his Carhartt jacket, it was still stiff from the cold but I didn’t car. I was tired and now terrified that Zane had been taken again. What was Axel planning on doing with me. Sure he saved me from Riley, but will I be safe from him?