‹ Prequel: Been to Hell
Status: Don't be a silent reader :)

The Way You Lie

Worth The Risk

I had began to loose track of time after that, there was no way to tell in this windowless room. When I was bored-which happed quite often- I napped, when I was restless I found myself doodling pictures into the dirt, and when I was feeling reckless I would take something to defend myself and hide it under the mattress. So far I have come up with a steak knife and a piece of sharp cement that I picked off the wall. Though I do believe Axel caught on after awhile, he began to kick his feet where he thought was loose sand while I ate.

Although I was normally scared of what they were saying, I almost always listened to their conversations they were having outside my door. Sometimes I would hear Zane outside, he would complain about seeing me and sometimes sneak up to the door a whisper when they weren’t looking. Last night-or so it seemed- he whispered I love you against the metal door, then he asked for a reply so he knew how I was doing. I simply gave him a soft knocking on the bottom part of the door.

It was that time when Axel came again, normally with food and some random thing in his life to tell me about. Yet today I found myself looking up at an angry Axel. It frightened me and I found my thinning arms protecting stomach. It was beginning to feel more solid, like the baby was growing. That meant that I have been here for awhile. Axel growled lowly and pointed down at me with his pointer finger.

“You hid something, I know it and I want it now!” He snapped. I was to astounded for words. What was I to tell him? Yes Axel, I stole something, a knife really. But it’s okay I’m just planning on stabbing you if you ever get close to me. He stomped forward and grabbed my by the collar of my shirt, hoisting me up by it and allowing his hot breath to spill over it. “Tell me.”

“I-…I don’t know what your talking about.” The lie rolled off from my tongue easily to be able to protect at least my innocence. He slammed me hard against the wall and a shriek of pain left my lips.

“I’ll give you one more chance.” He threatened. I’ve never really seen him so angry, but it wasn’t going to get any fear out of me.

When I didn’t answer this time I was tossed upon the ground and threatened to stay there. I didn’t expect him to life the heavy dirty mattress and find my little weapons. Sadly he did and it wasn’t a pretty sight when it happened. I was pinned against the wall again and he sat on my legs with his heavy body so I couldn’t get away. Axel held up the knife and growled at me once more.

“Do you know what this is?” I nodded in a frightened stance, all I could think of was the time he sliced into my body with a knife the last time he took me. I really don’t want that to happen again. My arms tightened around my middle. “Good, sharp knives hurt people.” He pressed the sharp tip into my thigh and twisted slowly so it made a tiny hole into my skin. Shrill whimpers ran through the room. But I was to scared to fight back.

“Stop!” I begged. So far we have made it through this place without a conflict, this was out first one…well besides the time I heard Zane pitching a fit and reaping hell on his door.

“EMILY!” Zane’s voice rang through the factory in a shrill frightened voice, had he heard my cries?

I believe that stopped Axel long enough for me to curl away and hide into a little ball. I hope that he would stop after that, maybe forget his anger or maybe even storm out. But he just stood up and pointed at me, still keeping his angry look on his face.

“Don’t try it again.” He threatened, reaching down to grab the back on my shirt and toss me onto the mattress.

After he was gone I found myself shaking in fear and pain. My fingers gently found the now bleeding hole in my leg. It was pretty deep and kind of large, but despite the bleeding it wasn’t really that painful. The thing that hurt the most was my rib, I wondered if I had wounded it when I was slammed against the wall.

“EMILY!” Zane screamed again, I could tell by his tone he wasn’t being hurt he was just worried about me. I wonder if Axel was forbidden to see Zane, otherwise I was sure he’d be trying to shut him up.

I was to scared to call back to him, I knew for sure that Axel could hurt me, so I found myself closing my eyes and wrapping my arms around myself for some kind of protection. I breathed shallowly and carefully listened to the sounds around me. All I could hear was Zane beating against his door again and the sound of a television in the background. Zane began arguing with which sounded like Riley, but he was sounded more desperate by the minute.

“Let me see her!” He demanded.

Riley seemed to shuffle around a tad, mumbling something that I couldn’t really hear. Though I became somewhat excited when my ears picked up the sound of a door opening. There was an yelling coming from Axel now, but he was silenced by Riley and the opening of my door. I perked up and resisted the urge to run to it. What if it wasn’t Zane?

“You have tonight, use it well.” The door was shut and as soon as it was I found myself looking around the corner to find a freshly cleaned Zane whose hair was chopped shorter and was wearing a dangerous looking black outfit. Though I couldn’t really stop myself from jumping up and slamming my husband in a heart breaking hug. He hugged back just as tight and buried his face in my greasy hair.

“Are you okay?” He whispered against my head, rocking gently then pulling back to press his lips to mine. The familiar butterflies developed in my stomach and made me feel completely giddy.

“I think so.” I whispered in a happy voice. He allowed me to pull him down on the bed with me, maybe seeing that I was in a little pain still.

“Can I see? Or does it hurt to much?” His soft hands gripped my ankle to pull my leg across his lap. I found that his jeans were still cold which makes me think that he had just gotten dressed. “Oh, that’s pretty deep.” He was trying to sound unconcerned, but I could tell his was. I didn’t really want him to concern himself over my wounds I just want to be able to hold him once more. My sheet was suddenly in his hands and he was ripping a strip off, shaking his head before he took the strip and tied it tightly above the wound. “That might slow the bleeding, but I’ll get Riley to do something about it later. What else hurts, tell me so I can take care of it.” He began running his fingers over my belly. That distracted me a little bit and I began wondering where we’d be now if Riley hadn’t found us.

“Right here.” I informed, pressing my fingers to my ribs. He moved his fingers to that spot then rubbed it gently.

“Just bruised, it’s fine.” That I was happy to hear, sure it’s going to hurt but I don’t really have to worry about it being broken. Plus even though Axel attacked me I got to spend time with Zane because of it. If I knew these results would happen every time I might be tempted to break the rules more often. “What’d you do to piss him off?”

I laid down against my pillows and pressed against the wall to make enough room for Zane to cuddle up against me. “I had a knife and a sharp wall fragment underneath my mattress. I really didn’t feel safe with him.”

Zane’s soft had came up to run his smooth fingers over my cheek bone. It felt nice and I had to close my eyes for a moment then open them against to make sure it wasn’t a dream. Thankfully I didn’t wake up to Axel or Riley, it was Zane no matter if I closed my eyes or not.

A sigh escaped his chest and he mumbled ‘I can’t believe I’m doing this’ before he began speaking directly to me. “Don’t do anything to tick him off, Em. I know that I use to tell you to protect yourself, but we’ve got a child to worry about this time.” He ran his hand back down to my stomach, his touch leaving a tingly feeling. “It’s not just our lives we’re playing with, please just do what he tells you to do.” He lifted my shirt up a bit then pressed his lips to the bare skin on my stomach, leaving butterfly kisses all around it. “Look, you’re not so gushy anymore.”

I giggled a bit and watched his very carefully. He didn’t look like anything had changed, that was good. At least I know his is being taken care of-unlike me. I was lucky if Axel remembered to give me my meals, normally I got a small bowl of uneatable soup for lunch and that’s it. If I was lucky I’d get a shower every once in a while-I calculated it out to be about one week-, and sometimes Riley would come in and read to me. But other then that I found myself loosing weight everywhere except for my stomach and becoming so bored I could literally die.

“How long have we been here?” I hummed, curling closer to him and finding an endless amount of heat. It was nice and comforting. Before I knew what I was doing I had myself so close to his chest he could’ve zipped me inside his leather jacket.

His arms wrapped tightly around me in a loving manor. “About a month, but it seems quicker to you because they slip sleeping pills into that soup they give you. Once time you slept for three days, I overheard Axel complaining to Riley about it. Though it is for the best, I don’t have to worry much about you when they do that.”

I scrunched up my nose and rolled my eyes. “That’s kind of unfair, I’d like to know what’s going on sometimes.”

He just chuckled a little bit then nuzzled his face back into my hair. “Some things you don’t want to here, Em. I know you’ve heard me beating up my door and screaming bloody murder, that’s because they’ve threatened me and you are the only thing that can truly hurt me now. I need you to protect yourself and never give them a reason to hurt you again. Please, we’re no where near done with this.”

I hugged his close to me and nodded. He’s right, I cannot risk loosing him for something I did. For the next eight months-maybe less- we’ll be stuck here and I’m not going to get myself killed before then. “Alright, Zane.”

“Good.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Heres the chapter that is kind of smaller, but I think the contents are worth it. I'm sorry about the spelling, my computer won't run spell check right now for some reason. Anyway remember that I love comments :)