‹ Prequel: Been to Hell
Status: Don't be a silent reader :)

The Way You Lie

Nothing ever turns out the way we plan

My eyes opened with heavy lids. Pain was everywhere, my stomach, my legs, my head, everywhere. As I focused in on my surroundings I found myself in a familiar white room with IVS hooked into my arms and a plastic tube shoved down my throat. My ears focused in on my surrounds granting sounds of frantic nurses and a girl doctor talking with them. A cold chill swept across my body and I shivered with it. One nurse noticed I was awake and informed the others, by the time I blinked once she was looking over me with another nurse at my side. The doctor was telling one of them to do their job and the other was to stay with me.

The nurse that stayed with me knelt down and held my small hand. She was saying something but I couldn’t really make it out, I wasn’t truly sure if she wanted me to hear it anyway. Instead of looking at her paper mask, pale face, or tied back curly red hair I found myself noticing I was undressed and there was a paper barrier preventing me from seeing my lower half. The nurse leaned over to speak with the doctor for a moment then appeared again with a reassuring smile, though it was her voice that gave away something was wrong.

“Hi…” She took in a little breath and I could see worry in her eyes. She sat next to me on the little bed then pulled my torso onto her for support of my limp body. “You’re in labor honey so we need you to do as we tell you, I’m going to help.”

I knew then that I had lost the baby, there was no way I could’ve been in labor during my second month. Despair flooded my body but I still did as the nurse told me. She held me tight and coxed me when the pain got to bad, by the time they told me it was over I was passing out in her arms. I’ve never felt so weak or sad, it was to much to bare.

~Zane’s point of view~

I rocked back and forth in my seat in the waiting room of the hospital. My mind still shrieking with the image of Emily. I had woken up next to her on that blanket, I remembered feeling excited that we were free and that I had her all to myself again. Then I had seen the blood.

~Flashback~

That morning I awoke feeling happy that for once I actually got to sleep in the arms of my wife. Granted she was still sick and shivering from the cold, but at least I could to hold her. But it was depressing to know that I would have to wake her soon, but I have to get us out of here.

Carefully I climbed out of her arms to turn to her, though after I looked over at her I wish I hadn’t. There was blood on the blankets, not a little puddle, but a lot. I just about jumped on her, feeling my heart beat heavily in my chest. The blood wasn’t mine, but there was so much that it soaked my clothes.

“Emily!” I shook her hard, freaking even more when she didn’t awake. Her body bobbed with every sake I bestowed onto her. Had she died in my arms? I didn’t think she was that sick? When she didn’t awake I gave up on that and ran back to the factory, banging on it door hard as I could. If I couldn’t get her to wake up the least I could do was get Riley to take her to the hospital. “RILEY!” I yanked on the handle but it didn’t budge, I was beginning to feel tears blur my vision and my lungs fill with ripping sobs. “RILEY!!”

Finally I heard the key start to open the door, so I started back to her. I knew that he could see me, and by the sound of my voice I knew he would put together that something was wrong. When I reached her I started again at trying to wake her. Shaking and shouting her name, the only thoughts going though my head were that of fear.

“Oh my god!” I heard him gasp then begin to run over. I was shoved away and she was swept into his arms. I wasn’t granted a chance to run after him as he darted back towards the factory, I was forced to hope that I could keep up with him.

~End of Flashback~

The doctor was the one to break my thoughts, she sat between Riley and I. Cringing at the blood on both of our clothing, at least she had taken the time to change out of the clothes she was in when she preformed on Emily. She was holding the clip board close and had that look that told me what I had feared all along. Emily had lost the child and was in bad shape.

“Who’s the father?” The doctor sighed, my lungs softly let the word ‘me’ out of my lips. She handed me the clip board and a pen. A few words stood out to me and explained just about everything. One line stated that Emily had a miscarriage and they wanted permission to get rid of the baby. I signed on that dotted line then flipped the page to the next one. This one requested permission to perform another surgery on Emily that would in small words save her life, I signed that one with no doubt in my mind, and that last page was requesting Emily’s information and letting me know that I would be cleaned and placed in a room with Emily during the surgery.

I signed then all and handed it back to the doctor. “What’s the surgery?”

She sighed and then leaned against the back of the waiting room chair. “Emily will be in a lot of pain. Not only did we have to perform a c-section to get the baby out-which failed because she was so far into labor-, but we also did an examination with her and compared them to her other hospital records. When she was raped by that man last time she just took it and didn’t struggle, well this time she did. As a result of that she can barely stand on her own and it hurts her to move to much because there is a lot of tearing that was made worse from the child passing through . Plus her bad rib was damaged again due to a blow, but it wasn’t broken and will heal quite quickly. She has no stds and the only major damage is the tearing which is what the surgery is for. We are going to stitch some of it up and that requires some time. We need you to be in there because she woke up and isn’t very comfortable around us. I’m assuming that you will calm her down.” I just nodded and allowed her to lead me into the doctors wing of the hospital, knowing that I’d at least see Emily soon.

~Emily’s Point of view~After the Surgery~

Zane sighed deeply and pulled me a little closer, wincing when a whine of pain escaped my lips. We were both crying silent tears and trying to compose ourselves without success. The nurses had removed my IVS and dressed me in a paper gown that wasn’t very comfortable. Not only were we sad that the baby was gone, but we also knew that Riley would be in here to scold us for running again.

The doctor entered again and gave Zane another clip board. “Here, I need you to sign for pain killers and medication because she has pneumonia, the infection probably got to the baby as well and killed it. Not to mention there is something about black mold, which is really not good and it probably got her sick in the first place.” Zane sighed a tad but still took the papers and signed. “I’d give her each once a day. Now,” She sat down beside us on the cot. “because she struggled so much when the rape happened she can’t walk very well, it’s to painful. Once the tearing starts to heal it’ll be easier for her but until then I want you to ice the area and her rib as well. Got it?” Zane nodded, looking up to the oak door when it squeaked open. My eyes filled with more tears when I noticed it was Riley walking in, I knew we’d be dragged back to that place. “Be careful with her, and no sexual activity. I mean it, at least not for three months…if that happens the stitches will open and she’ll have to come back.” She then moved out of the room and Riley moved closer.

He kneeled next to the bed and pulled my greasy hair out of my face. “I’m sorry, but it’s time to go back. Give her here Zane, I have to make sure you follow.” I whimpered in pain as Zane passed me over to Riley’s arms. Everything screamed and burned, not to mention I felt hollow and empty. Zane’s head hung and he slowly walked behind Riley as they slunk through the hospital. Some of the nurses stared with sad expressions, maybe thinking something was up but to scared to do something about it. Just like I was to scared to fight against Riley to get back to Zane, the pain was to much now and I couldn’t bare anymore if my struggling made Riley drop me. So I just closed my tear filled eyes and rested my head against Riley’s shoulder, knowing that I had to get some sleep before it was Axel’s turn to take out his anger.

I awoke again when I felt someone gently pull me back into their arms. My eyes opened to find it was Zane who was carefully holding me close, his eyes still filled with sadness and words that he has left unspoken so far. He hasn’t said anything to me yet, but I knew he wanted to quite badly. Riley snapped at him to hurry up and that made me jump a little. My arm wrapped around Zane’s neck so he could hold me better and then he walked quickly into the factory before Riley could decide that he was ready to kill us. Axel began yelling but stopped shirt when he seen Zane’s blood soaked clothes and my paper gown. He was so shocked that he sat down immanently with his jaw hanging open.

Zane ignored him then carried me back into my cell, gently laying me down and covering me with that flimsy little blanket. His lips pressed gently to my forehead and I felt how horribly he was shaking. I could tell then that he was either trying to hold an outburst in or at the very least tears. Maybe this affected him worse then it affected me, I knew how much he wanted that baby…I feel like I let him down.

My words were weak and soft, just enough for him to hear. “I’m sorry.”

Another pained look crossed his face and he just tightened the blanket. “S’not your fault, honey. I’ll try to get him to let me stay here with you tonight, but I’m not sure if he’ll let me. Just get some rest.” He kissed my forehead once more and then walked out of the room, flicking on the light for me then closing the door behind him. I then closed my eyes and focused on listening to the conversation taking place on the other side of my door.

~Zane’s Point of View~

I was still trying desperately to hold in my break down that I knew would be coming when ever got out of the sight of Riley and Axel. My body was ready to collapse with exhaustion and my eyes threatened to spill over with tears. I wasn’t so worried about the baby issue, I knew it wouldn’t take much to make another one. I was more or less upset about Emily, my poor girl in pain and probably sinking into depression for loosing the child and being locked away all by herself. I can’t risk letting her slip away from me, what ever it takes I need to get us home where she can heal.

Riley glared at me and crossed his arms. I took a deep breath and tried something that I knew wouldn’t work as soon as it left my mouth. “Technically the child was born and we should be free.” I leaned my body heavily on Emily’s door in hopes of protecting her, I didn’t want anyone near her besides myself right now.

He snorted and rolled his eyes. “I agreed that, I know. But I thought that meant a full nine months which I will be sticking to. Not to mention you ran from me which sincerely pissed me off, I thought I could trust you to keep the door unlocked which you definitely proved me wrong. Not to mention it almost got that girl of yours killed, you’re lucky I knew the route to the hospital. I’m going to the bar, get some rest in your own room, I don’t want you near her because I’m planning on punishing you with not seeing her for at least a week. Axel is in charge and if you don’t listen to him I’ll add onto that week.” He grabbed the keys and stomped to the door, waving then leaving to get drunk which was one thing that I wished he’d let me do right now. I honestly think I need it more then him.

I made eye contact with Axel and looked upon the damage I had done to him yesterday. On his face I found bruises and about one cut, other then that he looked fine. He stood up and began walking over to me, my protective side enflamed once more and I felt the need to fight. Thankfully I stood my ground and waited for him to talk first.

“Go get some sleep, you need it.” He sighed while walking slowly, almost holding his hands up to show he didn’t mean any harm.

“Will you do me a couple favors?” I whispered, trying not to relay on him but knowing that I would have to. He narrowed his eyes and I knew he wouldn’t do it unless it involved Emily. “It’s about her.”

His eyes softened. “Fine.”

I found myself looking at me feel in shame for having to ask him to take care of her for me. If I truly had my way I would kill him and dart with her again, but there is no way she’d survive if I did that right now. “Get her a blanket that’s actually going to keep her warm, and please make sure she gets her medication…Also, just don’t do anything to her…it could very well kill her if you do and I can’t live without that girl.”

He just nodded and then walked over to what looked like a high school locker, inside I noticed there were many things that would be useful if we ran again. There were blankets and a whole hell of a lot of medication on the top shelf, then a pile of women’s clothing. He grabbed girl sweats, a baggy t-shirt, and undergarments, then a think down feather blanket. After that he grabbed two bags of ice he had already made up that were sitting on that desk. To my surprise he handed them to me and gave me a little shrug.

“Take care of her for a little bit, he’ll be gone until morning so I’ll get you at midnight. Don’t worry to much, he won’t let her die. She’s the only leverage he has against you.”

I was thankful that he was at least giving me a few hours, just enough time to talk with her and get some things straightened out. I muttered a thanks then slipped into her room, shutting the door behind me and hearing the lock click. At least this time he was smart enough to protect himself from me.

Around the corner Emily still lay on her mattress with that sleepy look in her eyes, I smiled a small grin at her and set down the stuff he gave to me. She winced but still scooted over a bit to make room for me, I tried to stop her at first but through about it and realized I might have a panic attack if I have to stay one more minute away from her. Once in the bed I allowed myself to pull her close and start to cry silently into her shoulder. If felt nice to finally get it out, not to mention it was in front of someone who would defiantly comfort me.

“I know it’s my fault, and I’m sorry you don’t get the kid you wanted.” She whispered quietly, I winced a little and then looked up at her. Black bags hung under her eyes and a desperate expression landed on her face.

“It’s not your fault, baby. I never will be. I couldn’t give a damn about that kid right now, I was just scared that they were going to take you way from me and wheel you down to the morgue.” I demanded, resting another kiss onto her forehead. She nuzzled a little bit closer and kissed my shoulder. “Don’t worry about the baby, we can make another one pretty easy and I’d rather have you then some baby that I couldn’t even start to take care of without you.”

I allowed her to cuddle with me a whisper some stuff to me before I told her that I needed to get her dress. I knew I didn’t want to because of how much it was going to hurt her, but I also knew I wasn’t leaving her half naked like that with Axel around. Especially since I knew he’d be in and out of here all the time. She cried a little and whined as I moved her position to get the clothing onto her, but once I finally got it on she looked warmed and less scrawny so I felt a little better. Even through the clothing part was bad I still felt worse when I but the ice down like the doctor told me and she begged me to take it away cause it hurt. Sadly I had to tell her to leave it there, that it had to be there and I couldn’t help it.

“Please Zane, it hurts.” Her tears spilled over a little more and I felt the need to run away. I was so scared of her that I couldn’t handle it, I hate the fact that I was knowingly hurting her.

I stroked her hair back then slipped an ice pack under her ribs as directed. “No, Em. It’s got to stay there, it’ll help the swelling and make it feel better later.” I promised, draping the blanket over her then jumping when I heard a knock on the door, how could it already be midnight? No, I can’t leave her yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENTS COMMENT COMMENTS, and just a heads up alot of you missed chapter three and that was a huge chapter so you're all probably really confused.