‹ Prequel: Been to Hell
Status: Don't be a silent reader :)

The Way You Lie

It Was Worth It

After Axel had taken Zane away from me again I found myself twisting painfully while trying to remove the ice pack that was causing shooting pain to course up my thighs. A small whine escaped my chest and I had to pause for a moment, unable to move an inch without running out of breath or freezing from unnecessary aches. It honestly kills me that we have to be back here and that I had lost our child because we ran in the first place. I just want to be done with it all, get the hell away from Riley and Axel for good. Though that goal seems to far to reach now. I can’t even reach down to remove an ice pack, yet alone ride on Zane’s back at the very least. We’ll be confined here until I can at least bare to stand.

My iron door opened again and creaked shut with a noise so vial that I cringed. I knew it was Axel, I doubt he’ll ever leave me alone now. I hope he knows this is mostly his fault, and I can’t stand to even look at him with a straight face anymore. If I’m not cringing with pain I’ll be glairing with loathing. He rounded the corner and pause, his evil eyes taking in the position I was in. One hand gripping the edge of the ice pack and one leg propped up to pull it out. He crossed his arms and gave me a look of disappointment.

“Emily, are you really going to make this harder on yourself then it needs to be.” He leaned down and pulled my hand away, gently stretching my leg back out. That motion not only sent sparks through my body but it also placed me back on that damn ice. I whined quietly and closed my eyes to keep from having tears slip. “Leave that ice alone, it’ll only hurt for a few more minutes then it’ll feel good, I promise. Would you like some of those pain meds?” As he spoke he lifted his hand to press his palm against my aching scull. I knew I had a fever and I desperately hoped that if he gave me my meds then it would stop hurting and I could finally rest for what seems like the first time today.

“P-Please…” I whispered in a sentence that felt like it needed more but I was to angry with him to give him much kindness of words.

Finally he stood up and scampered away. Maybe I’ll get really lucky and that pills will keep me knocked out for a couple days, or maybe I can talk him into giving me some of that sleeping stuff they use on me so frequently. At least then I can wake up to a body that might not ache so much. When he entered again I found a glass of water in his hand and his other fist closed on the pills. Axel sat down next to me and pushed the pills against my lips until I let them in. A nasty wax coating touched my tongue while he slipped his hand behind my neck and lifted my head so I could get a drink to wash them down with.

“There, those will work soon to.” He discarded the water somewhere and then tucked the nice thick comforter around me, but somehow we both noticed I was still shivering. I bet it was those stupid ice packs, I really hate them. “Do you want me to find you another blanket, hon.”

I ignored the ‘hon’ and just nodded. I was being greedy I guess, but I didn’t find a reason to be nice to these people anymore. The only thought that went through my head was that if I had been in our safe house with my Zane we would’ve had regular check ups for the baby and they could’ve saved it. That is if it even needed saving, I was just to stressed and drugged here for my body to support the poor thing. Axel returned and placed a couple throw blankets over me, tucking those tightly around as well, then he sat down and picked at a hang nail for a moment.

“Emily, I feel terrible.” He sighed, my eyes widened and I watched him carefully. “Your guy is right, it was really really wrong to do that to you and I’ll do my best to never force you again. Riley tried to tell me it wasn’t but I know its my fault that you lost your baby and I know how much you wanted that kid.”

The next soft words that left my lips were words that I had promised myself that I’d never say to him. I don’t know if it was because I just wanted him to be nice to me from now on or possibly just shut up. “I forgive you this time.” I instantly regretted them.

He sighed and rubbed his cheek for a second...was he crying? “I know you’re lying, but its okay. I’ll take it.” He stood up and started leaving. “Finish your water...” He handed it back to me and I noticed it was a mini SmartWater that had the screw on cap, probably because he didn’t want me to spill it. “it’ll help you sleep.” When he left I found myself mentally thanking him, he had put those sleeping pills in my water and I can now hopefully be knocked out until some pain passes by.

I finished the water as quick as I possibly could, knowing that when it was gone it’d be easy to fall asleep. When I laid down I found myself slowly rolling onto my side and curling into a ball, replacing the ice where they needed to go then cuddling into my pillow. It still smelt like Zane from where he had sat which made it quite easy to temporarily forget about my pain and drift to sleep.

The next time I forced my heavy eye lids open it was because something had disturbed me and I defiantly didn’t like the feeling. My bladder was full which meant two things, one I had to actually move which would be painful and two I’d actually have to use that area again which would be worse. I could hear Axel and a TV in the background, that normally meant that Zane and Riley were working and he needed something besides me to keep him amused. I hate the fact that I’d need him for this but when I tried it on my own I couldn’t even force myself to sit without crying a little bit.

“Axel?” I called, waiting a few minutes before calling a little louder. “Axel!?” I finally heard the TV pause and his foot steps rushing to the door. The jingling of the keys actually made my bladder hurt more and finally when the screeching of the door happed I had to go so bad that I was holding my stomach in hopes of holding it in. He rounded the corner with a happy smile, how long have I been out?

“Hey.” He grinned, looking down at me and placing the keys in his pocket. “You okay? How are you feeling? Do you need help?”

I couldn’t hold in my smirk, he was just so excited that I couldn’t handle it. “To many questions, but can you help me to the toilet…I really have to pee.”

He chuckled but still reached down to carefully support me weight as he helped me up. I found myself doubling over in pain but still forcing myself to allow him to touch me and help me to the old thing. I felt a familiar fear weld up as he helped me pull down my pants then sit again. I pushed it aside and demanded he turn around before I finally emptied my bladder. It felt nice not to have that pressure anymore. Once I was done I cleared my throat and he helped me in reverse this time, ever so gently tugging the pants back up and laying me in my cocoon of blankets.

“Thanks, Axel.” I hummed. He smiled as if I had paid him a million dollars. Why did this boy care for me so? Its not like I have ever been truly nice to him, I was to scared to even try yet here he sits. I know he loves me, but how can I truly break it to him that I’m never leaving Zane. Let alone for someone who raped me twice, not to mention kidnapped and beat. I know that Zane isn’t a perfect picture either, but you’ve got to realize that he had made progress and changed his path completely. Hell, I was going to start a family with him.

“You’re welcome, Emily.” He grinned then sat down at the end of the mattress. He waited for a moment, thinking before his frown faded and his eyes grew weary. “Emily, what do you want more then anything in the world. I don’t care what it is, I just want to know.” My mind wondered. I want to go back home to our safe house, I want my child to be growing in my stomach again, and I want Zane with me here right now.

Sadly the answer that came out of my mouth wasn’t something I had though of really. I guess my subconscious thought it up. “I want a bath,” I smiled. “so I can shave and stop looking like a walking woman sasquatch .”

He chuckled a little again, shrugging and laughing a little more. “Well that wish I can grant. I just have to talk with Zane about letting me move you around. Riley could care less, he just doesn’t want Zane freaking out again so I have just been asking him before I do things with you. I guess it helps him feel more connected with you so he doesn’t freak out as much when he hears your door opening. He’s a very protective man.”

I watched Axel stand to leave wide eyed. I don’t know if it was the fact that Zane and him were on a talking basis now that concerned me, or that fact that he was actually going to take me to that bathroom that I know was there but was never allowed into. Maybe Zane can talk him into coming with me, just sitting in there would be enough for me. I don’t care, I just want to see him again maybe even touch his rough skin.

Zane’s door creaked open and I felt my breath catch. If I was going to miss a part of this conversation I’d be damned. I heard Axel’s heavy feet slid over the floor then Zane’s grunt of annoyance. It sounded as if he was sleeping, or possibly reading something.

“Is she okay?” Were the first words out of Zane’s mouth. He sound a little more perky now so I’m assuming he was sleeping.

“Ya.” Axel’s weight was shifted onto a squeaky chair. “I was just wondering if you’d be okay with me taking her upstairs. I asked her what she wanted and she said something about a bath so she didn’t look like Bigfoot anymore.”

I had to hold in a giggle and I swear I could hear the smile in Zane’s voice. “I don’t care, as long as I can sit in the bathroom with her. Sorry but I really don’t trust Riley and yourself.”

Yes! I was really hoping that Zane would ask that, I was worried that he would just say yes. “I don’t care, Riley isn’t here right now so I guess it wouldn’t hurt. I’d be the one he would yell at anyway. Go get her, I’ll wait for you in the living room.”

My heart pounded against my rib cage as I listened to the both of them start to walk out of the room. Honestly it didn’t take long for Zane to reach my little room, plus the sight I seen was nice. Zane stood in front of my mattress in a pair of green flannel pajama pants, shirtless and had extremely sexy bed hair. I liked that look on him, to be honest I haven’t seen him shirtless in so long I felt like I’d never seen him the slight bit naked. It was quite nice.

“Was this some weird scheme that you decided to take so you could see me, or do you really think you look like Bigfoot?” He chuckled quietly, leaning down to kiss my forehead gently then ever so carefully pull me into his arms. I couldn’t hold in my whimper when what felt like fire shot through my torso, but we both just brushed it off.

“To be honest,” I whispered, greedily pressing my lips to his before I finished me sentence. “I didn’t plan on him asking you for permission, but I like the results.”

He smiled a little then began walking us out of my room. When we reached the messy ‘living room’ I notice that outside the windows it was black and snowy outside. Wow, I’m kind of happy that we landed back here know because we all know how I feel about snow. Zane caught me watching the snow flakes in disgust and pressed his lips to the side of my greasy hair. Axel stood up from the couch, not looking to enthused about the little smirk on my face. I think he was piecing together what Zane did, that I did this to see Zane. Although I was telling the truth about not planning this, I really want a bath.

They both began climbing the dangerous looking metal stair case that led upstairs and for the first time I was here I noticed more doors like the ones Zane and I were cooped up in. One was propped open and I found something I really didn’t like when we passed it, a dead body. A women about my age with curly blond hair was sprawled face first on the metal floor, one hand reaching desperately to the outside world. She had on a dull yellow Victoria Secret underwear set and had bled out from a couple stab wounds on what seemed like her belly. I could tell from the bruises on her back that the knife almost went all the way though, she either died from those or drown in the pool of blood she was laying in.

Zane caught me looking and kicked the door to that stall closed, that of course alarmed Axel who spun around in shock. When he caught on he lowered his eyes in shame and continued on to the bathroom. The next one we passed was opened as well, this time I was to scared to look and decided to hide my face in Zane’s shoulder so I couldn’t accidentally see anything that might haunt me for the rest of my life. Before I decided it was okay to look up I heard Axel unlocking the bathroom door and kicking the stubborn thing open.

“Okay, the razor is already set out and there’s soup and hair stuff in the cupboard.” Axel informed, watching carefully as Zane passed him. It was almost like he was scared that Zane was going to hurt him again. “Just call down when you’re done.”

Zane nodded and turned to Axel, clearly thinking what I was thinking earlier. It was better to make friends with this man then make enemies, he could be a future escape route. “Thanks, Axel.”

Axel didn’t say anything, he just slammed the door close and we both stood in bewilderment as the heavy lock locked into place. Zane then just shrugged and sat me down on a little plastic chair in the corner, moving over to the tub and swabbing it out with a few pieces of toilet paper before starting it up. The tub screamed in protest but also gave us some protecting for talking.

“Zane, who was that girl?” I whispered, he frowned and kneeled in front of me ever so gently pushing my hair away from my face.

“Don’t be scared, I’d never let him do that to you.” He promised, dodging my question. He began to pull the clothes off, just about as gently as Axel was being. I’m glad about that because it made everything hurt a little less.

“But who was she?” I questioned again, hoping to god that it wasn’t someone that I knew. I don’t want that to be on me hands to, that would mean that I put them in danger.

Zane sighed then kissed me softly before pulling my top over my head. “When I was in high school I dated her. Riley was hoping to use her against me but the truth was that I was more scared for you then I was for her. He let me see her a couple times to and she just told me that she wanted to go home. She was loosing her mind, Em. I tried to talk to her but a few nights ago she flipped and Riley killed her. Axel was upset, he liked her too. I guess he tried to save her and actually kept her alive for a little bit longer. As far as I know she died this morning after Riley left. At least that’s when I stopped hearing her scratching at the floor, her room would be placed right above mine.” He now had me completely undress and was beginning to check over my wounds. “You didn’t get to hear because you let Axel drug you again, she pitched quite the fit.”

I sighed and felt the need for a subject change. “I didn’t like being in pain ,so I just kind of hinted to Axel until he slipped it in my water. I know you probably don’t like that but I knew I wasn’t going to be able to fall asleep.”

Zane smirked at me then lifted me up and transferred me to the bathtub, handing me the razor and shaving cream. As he began talking to me I started to wash my hair. “So, are you feeling any better now? I know you just got up but I think it’s going to get worse as the night progresses.”

I scrubbed the last of the shampoo off from my scalp as I spoke softly. “Right now it isn’t to bad, it hurts when I move around and when I go to the bathroom.”

He leaned back in the chair and looked around the metal room for a moment. “I wish I didn’t have to trust in him to take care of you, it hurts me to know that he is doing my job. Remember, in sickness and in health. Though with you its more weighted towards sickness.” He joked, looking back down at me, reaching over and wiping some conditioner off from my cheek.

I blushed and then began scrubbing again. “I wish it were you too.” He looked away for a moment when I began shaving, blush creeping on his own cheeks. “What?” I laughed, wondering what he was embarrassed all of a sudden.

“Lets just say I wish you weren’t hurt.” He chuckled. That didn’t surprise me, to be honest we haven’t even made out in almost three months. It’d be nice if Axel wasn’t listening right now and we didn’t have to be quiet. I’d make out with Zane in a heart beat, but it’d be odd if I know that Axel had his ear pressed against the door.

It didn’t take long for me to finish in the tub, and when I was done I finally felt so much better. When I was truly finished I climbed out with Zane’s help, dried off, and then decided it was time to cuddle into his lap. We sat like that for a good ten minutes, stealing gentle kisses and soft touches. It was Axel that ruined the moment, when his fist beat against the door I knew it was time to pull away from Zane’s soft chest and be locked away in my cell again.

Zane sighed then called back, reaching over to my clothes and starting to pull them back on. “What?” He called, watching me wince when he started with my pants.

“Riley will be home soon.” Axel cautioned. “You guys need to get back to you rooms.”

“Okay.” Zane called back, looking down at me and frowning when he seen the look I was giving the door. I felt terrified again, I didn’t want to go back to my room and leave him. Anything but being stuck in that space again, I’m starting to feel like the walls are caving in on me. I don’t know if it was just because I lonely or just because I missed Zane to much. All I know is that I just want to go home. “It’s okay, baby.” He cupped my cheek with down hand and that made my eyes go downcast, to worried that he was notice that I was freaking out again. “Hey, once you get better I’ll get us out of here. Just a little bit longer, you can do it.”

I nodded and shuttered at he picked me up and ever so quickly dressed me. He was pulling my shirt over my head when the door opened. Axel stood in it with a frightened look in his eye, we both inched away a little.

“Hurry!” He snapped. “He just pulled in!”

I wasn’t even given a second to think before Zane scooped me up and began running. I tried to hold in my cry of pain when he did that, and it half worked which I was proud of. His feet slammed against the stairs as he scrambled down to my cell first, setting me in the door way and kissing me quickly. I was given an apologetic look then he rushed to his room and slammed the door close. Axel was next to me quickly, slowing down a little to pick me up and then carry me to my mattress. I took the time to notice that he had changed all the bedding and I was actually grateful for that. As he was tucking me in Riley showed up in my cell as well. Narrowing his eyes at me wet hair and clean skin.

“You took her out of her room, Axel.” He growled.

Axel looked up at him and smirked a little. “Its not like I let him see her, I just let her take a bath that’s all. Besides I was in there with her the whole time.” He promised, seeming extremely good at lying. I wonder how many time’s he lied to me.

Riley nodded and then looked down at me again. He didn’t seem like he had much hostility towards me, it was just an odd hatred for Zane that powered it. “Fine, it’s cold in her room. We should run a heater in here, I don’t want her getting sick again cause I’m done with hospital trips. Zane’s little episode cost me a fortune.” He then walked out, swaying a little which made me think he was drunk.

Axel seemed to breath a sigh of relief then he stood up. “Let’s stick with that.” He whispered quietly. He looked back again before he starting walking out. “I’ll get that heater, I’ll get you some more pain pills and sit in here with you.”

I watched him as he walked out, finding myself a little stunned. When Zane had explained to me about that girl being killed by Riley I guess I didn’t really take into consideration Axel’s feelings. By the way he was acting it seemed like he was a little shaken by it as well, I wonder if that’ll motivate him to protect me more. If so I believe that I can hopefully get better quicker and make a run for it sooner. Although I may feel a little sorry about leaving Axel here, I feel like we should help him get help about his condition.

I jumped a little when I looked up and seen that he was waiting my attention. There was a glass of water and a couple white pills in his hand and a heater running with an extension cord into my room. I blushed and looked down at my hands, gently fiddling with my blanket.

He chuckled a little then sat at the end of my mattress like normal. “What are you thinking about? Did you have a bad dream last night?”

I only had a few seconds to come up with a good answer that would hopefully hide my true thoughts. “Oh no, I was just thinking about a TV show that I use to watch all the time.” I liked my answer, but I’m not sure what to do if he asks me questions about it. “What’d you bring me?”

He smirked then pointed over to the heater. “That will keep you warm, and these-” He handed me the pills and water. “will keep the pain away, I’ll give you something to help you sleep if you need it later.”

I smirked a little myself and then popped the pills into my mouth. I was willing to take anything before I started feeling to much pain. Just because I got to sleep off a few days didn’t mean that once I moved around I wouldn’t feel that familiar sting of pain. When I took a swig of water I tasted something interesting but it was to late to spit it back into the cup. After I swallowed I glared up at him until he finally realized that I knew that wasn’t just water.

“What was that, Axel?” I whispered.

He reached over and pulled a strand of stray hair off from my forehead, I felt the need to pull away from him. “The medication the hospital told me to give you, I don’t know what it’s called but it’s supposed to help you heal faster. Riley is drunk, so lets not make any fuss tonight. I’m more worried about Zane then I am of you, but I don’t want him to hurt you anymore then you already are.”

I resting back against the wall and watched his body language closely, I could tell that he was nervous which meant-to me-that he had snuck sleeping pills into my drink. I guess it doesn’t really matter, but I do need to be awake during some point in my life. After a while I started feeling my eyes grow heavy and my body grow weak, it was scary considering I’ve never really fought the drugs like I am now. I don’t know why I am fighting them, maybe it’s because I wasn’t really all that tired or I still had some hopes of seeing Zane tonight. Ever so slowly Axel moved over to me, pulling me down to the pillows once more and tucking the blankets tightly around me.

“Shh, just go to sleep.” I could tell he was speaking louder then a whisper but I couldn’t really hear him so it sounded quiet. My eyes threatened to slip close again but I wrenched them open. “Emily, quite fighting it.” For some reason I felt unnecessary fear weld up inside of me, what if I never wake up? “Shh.” Was I making a noise? Was I really doing anything? My eyes slipped close and my world turned black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I can't find spell check on here lol I love that theres a rec button now HINT HINT lol Comments please