‹ Prequel: Been to Hell
Status: Don't be a silent reader :)

The Way You Lie

RUN!

I felt Zane shaking me with a quick jerk and my eyes shot open. He seemed rushed and terrified but he was still shoving layers of sweats onto me and not being to gentle about it. I tried to keep in mind that he was scared but when he made one movement that jerked me so hard I couldn’t keep in my cry of pain. He shushed me and whispered he was sorry then went back to dressing, before long I was held closely to his chest. With my surprise he kicked open the bedroom door and dodged as fast as he could to the factory door, I noticed Axel unconscious on the couch, drooling I might add. But he didn’t seem to hear us, even when Zane broke us out and dodged into the outside world.

As he ran through the cold night air I hung to him tightly, holding in my cries by biting my bottom lip. The air was crisp and dark, I couldn’t see a thing but somehow Zane knew where he was going. He was panting hard, and running as fast as he could. At one point I was being carried bridal style but he decided that was to hard and switched me to piggy front. I think that was our downfall, or at least mine considering I didn’t tell him how much it was truly hurting me for him to hold me like that.

His feet crunched against what sounded like frozen snow which would explain why he put me in so many layers. I tightened my hold on him and bit my lip harder. Zane had ran for around what I assume to be twenty minutes non-stop until he tripped over a stump and we both went flying. Before I knew what was happened I was rolling extremely hard into a tree and whimpering loudly in pain. My chest hurt and my head ached horribly from whacking into a tree. I could hear Zane scrambling once more, then the sound of a flickering lighter before light engulfed around us from a tiny cigarette lighter. He rushed over to me, still panting but kneeling next to me to catch his breath for a moment. I curled closer to him, also trying to catch my breath. I wasn’t tired from running, but tired from being in pain. I’ve been jerked around for at least a half hour and its really taking it’s toll.

He gasped and held the lighter closer to my head. “No no no.” He groaned, pressing his hand gently to my forehead and pulling it away, I saw red liquid. “Oh my god no.”

I shook a little bit with fear but I knew I had to hold him together. I grabbed one of his hands and shushed him. “It’s okay,” I had to take a moment to breath in a shaky breath. “Zane breath. I need you to keep going, we can’t stop.” Now we really can’t stop, I don’t know what this blood is from and I am not taking any chances of bleeding out.

“But Em-”

I shushed him against and held my arms out so he could pick me up. He allowed the light to flicker out then he scooped me up once more, this time being overly careful. He started running again, knowing that deep down I was right and that he couldn’t afford to stop. I was proud of him for listening to me because I’m unsure how to really comfort him at this moment. Eventually his rough breathing and jumping movements put me to sleep, and by then I was just thankful that I couldn’t feel anymore pain in my dreams.

The next time I awoke I found myself propped up against the tree with Zane sitting next to me. He was silently freaking out, looking around the tree nervously and gripping a stick in his hand. I shifted a little bit, feeling my head pound and my body shiver, how much longer are we going to have to stay out here like this? He jumped when I moved and turned back to me, instantly dropping the stick and reaching over to pull my body against his. I noticed he was shivering to, but it was to dark out to see him fully to check if he was hurt or not. Numbly his lips pressed to my forehead, I felt them graze against a cut and that made me suck in some air from pain.

He leaned down and kissed me full force this time, lingering there for a few moments. “Em, they found us…I-…” He pressed his face into my hair to smother a small cry. “I’m going to lead them away from you, just try to keep walking and find somewhere safe.”

I froze completely then, did he not remember I couldn’t walk on my own? How does he expect me to find somewhere safe without him with me? I refuse to leave him. “What.” I whispered horsy. “No, I won’t leave without you.”

He placed a hand on my cheek and I could tell he was looking down at me with sad eyes. “Please, I can’t have them getting you again. The things that have happened haunt me, I don’t care what happens to me I want you safe.”

I heard a twig crack in the distance and I looked over in the direction of it with frightened eyes. “Zane-”

He cut me off with another kiss then he demanded that I look at him, so I did. He shrugged off his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders. “I love you, darling. Never forget that.” Then before I could stop him he jumped up and bolted in the direction of the sounds. I almost screamed out his name in hopes to stop him, but then I remembered that Riley was out here and that terrified me. Would I be better off in the beating hands of Riley, or freezing to death in the woods?

Suddenly without warning a gun shot rang through the woods and I screamed out in surprise. Instantly I covered my mouth, knowing that I had done something wrong. My body began shaking in fear, was Zane shot? Could he be dying at this moment?