Status: Active.

Bite My Tongue.

Seven.

The last day caught Annie off guard. Josh, before they left, had cornered her at the airport gates. Since she had agreed to see them off - knowing they would likely never see each other again - (she didn't expect them to want to keep contact, but it had been fun getting to know them as a whole), she had expected no long goodbyes. Unexpectedly, Josh had nearly turned it into one.

Pausing just before the security gates, Josh turned around and strolled back over to Annie, a cheeky grin on his features. "I think you owe me a skype address." He said, cheerily.

Annie raised an eyebrow. ". . . why?"

Josh clearly had to think about that for a moment before answering. "I could be the arse who walks away with it by conning you into giving it to me under the guise of advise or I could be honest and say it's because I'd like to see more of you."

Annie's eyebrow arched higher now, attempting to appear indignant but accomplishing amused. "You want my skype so you can see my tits, huh?" She managed a thoughtful tone bordering on banter.

"Bollocks. No. That's not it at all." Josh backpedaled hastily. "I just meant it would be nice to talk more."

"I was teasing." She snorted, stealing a pen from the nearest security guard before writing her username on the back of his hand. "Maybe one day you'll get my cell phone number."

"So if we ever come back 'round in the future. . . ?"

"You're always welcome at my place." She responded with a shrug. While it wasn't likely they would - not for a few months anyway and she could be long gone - her door was always open to anyone who needed a place to chill out away from their lives for a while.

"Right then. See you 'round, Annie. Thanks again for helping me get sorted." He shot her an unexpected smile and then he was being ushered through security and had to sprint to catch his flight.

Annie stood there for a few stunned moments before she realized what was going on. Josh had been flirting. She had also been flirting. She liked someone. And it was then she realized the curse had already set in: they were doomed from the start if they ever tried to get together. Because Annie and stable relationships never went hand in hand. At least not romantic ones.

Annie had gone straight to the beach, grabbed her board from the roof and paddled out to catch a few waves and clear her head. Surfing had always been her way of coping with life - something no one in her family understood. Her mind raced, sorting itself and readjusting its mindset. Josh wanted to stay in contact with her. Hell, all of them at least hinted it - if not for entertainment value, then just because she was a good person. But Josh had specifically asked for a way to contact her. She could take a risk and get to know him better, trust him. Or she could shut down and ignore his existence. Neither choice looked appealing, but there was a certain allure to the idea of staying in contact. His life was so much busier, so different than hers. Selfishly, she had used his stories as an escape. She was selfish enough to want to hear more. If anyone asked, she would only admit to the fact that she liked hearing him talk. She always had held a fascination for accents.

So she would take the proverbial plunge - the risk of making new friends, the risk of losing those friends. Everything hinged on her ability to juggle her work, her friends, sleep and the rest of the comedy of errors that was her life. She was already doing so much, she felt exhausted by the prospect, but enthusiastic about it. She was capable. She just had to find a balance.

So was her life's motto.