Thursday's Child

tobeembarrassed

Piper's manager is a thirty nine year old man called Peter who sometimes wishes that he isn't as friendly with the other workers in the bookstore as he is. He finds himself wishing that when he gets Piper come into work hours before she's due and asking to talk. He's never had a talk with her before, not like this, but he finds himself knowing that it wouldn't be something that he enjoys even before he agrees to it and she goes around to the side of the till he's on and sits on the one of the boxes that they keep there for times when the store is slow.

"What's up Piper?" he asks and turns to look at the girl who normally keeps her private life to herself, although recently he has found that her private life seems to want to stray away from her, what with the woman coming into the shop those times and bringing up things that Piper clearly didn't want brought up.

She sighs and runs her hands down her face. "I've messed my entire life up by agreeing to one little thing and I just don't know what to do," she confesses, and he realises that he's going to see a side to her that he has never wanted to see.

"Well, what did you agree to? Surely if you agreed to it yourself than you wouldn't be messing up your life," he reasons but she just gives him a sarcastic laugh. What a fucking joke.

"I'm getting married to someone I don't even fucking like and now people's finding out from fuck knows where and they're acting like it's a big fucking deal to them." She huffs and runs her hand through her hair. Suddenly she feels like this isn't such a good idea.

Peter looks at his co-worker in surprise. "You're getting married?" he asks incredulously. "Aren't you only nineteen?" She nods and he just runs a hand down his face. "Alright, so then, why'd you agree to marry him even though you don't like him?"

For a moment even Piper seems stumped but soon she wipes that off her face and shrugs her shoulder. "Dunno," she mutters.

He raises an eyebrow. "You don't know?" he asks with suspicion in his voice. He just knows that she does know but she just doesn't want to tell him which isn't something that he thinks make sense seeing as she was the one who asked to have this talk in the first place.

She runs a hand through her hair before letting out a heavy breath. "I do know, alright? Of course I do but I just don't want to tell you because it's a shit excuse and you'll just think I'm being selfish –which I am, to tell the truth," she admits, and as she says the words she lowers her eyes so that she isn't looking at him. She feels shame about it all, but what overwhelms that feeling right now is her feeling embarrassed about airing her dirty washing like this to her manager. She didn't have that in mind when she decided to head to work for a talk, but somehow it changed.

For a moment Peter just looks at the girl, not quite sure what he's meant to say to her words. Conversations like this aren't things that he is used to, especially because he's never had a conversation quite like this one before.

Abruptly, Piper stands up from her seat. "You know what, forget it," she tells him. "I was never here and this conversation never happened. I should have never spoke to you about this in the first place."

"But Piper--" he starts but gets cut off.

"Pretend I'm off my head or whatever, just, this conversation didn't happen." She nods at him before she moves from where she is behind the desk and hurries out of the shop, leaving Peter somewhat confused over what just happened. He may have a wife of his own but he's never met a girl quite like Piper, especially with the conversation they just had.

And for once he feels relief over not working that evening, mostly because Piper works that night and he would like to not have to face her on the same day after hearing what little he did from her, thank you.