Thursday's Child

tobreakthelaw

A few days after Piper made a complete fool of herself she decides that she needs to get in contact with someone from high school. She looks through any friends she has on all of her social network profiles and finally locates him, and after making sure that he's the same as he was when they were fifteen years old, she arranges to meet him after college on the Friday.

The next few days she tries to be tolerant of Taylor after what happened with Daniel, but she finds it hard and finds herself debating her decision of accepting almost nightly. She doesn't let this become known to Taylor, of course, because that's just not who she is. She has to keep it to herself because if not then she could make an ever bigger mess than she already has done and she doesn't want that, thank you. On the Friday she tells him that she might not be back that night and leaves before he could question her. As of recently she found out that he likes questioning her about certain things throughout the day, something that she finds not only annoying but intrusive as well. What gives him the right to butt into her life like that, regardless of the fact that they're going to be married in the summer. Not even that would give him the right of being that nosy into her life; they only going to be married for pete's sake, something that was only them making their relationship fully legal in the law's eyes.

College that day went by slowly for Piper and she found herself contemplating just walking out like she has done several times, but she doesn't in the end and continues through her lessons begrudgingly. By the time she leaves after her final lesson she's so ready to meet with this guy, even more so than she was when she first contacted him.

They meet in the park where they used to smoke in high school. He doesn't look that much different from high school except for the fact that he's shot up maybe three inches and now has a moustache that doesn't suit him, something which contributed to why he used to shave in high school. She wonders whether he's found someone who likes the moustache, just to try and make sense to why he would grow it.

"Looking good, Piper," he acknowledges when he sees her for the first time in almost four years. She just nods. "So, what made you contact me? Aren't you with that Taylor guy? I'm pretty sure he doesn't have an open mind to this like you do."

She lets out a sigh. "You know about him, too?" she asks.

He nods. "It's actually pretty surprising, you know, after you and Daniel. But hey, it's not my business to pry. I did enough of that for the five years we were forced to socialise." She finds herself wondering why she doesn't have more of her high school friends. At least they wouldn't be like her friends in college, this guy being a prime example.

"I haven't done anything since we dodged that day in year eleven. I smoke and drink, sure, but I don't use anything because I'm just... I just don't." She runs her hand through her hair and ruffles it a bit in annoyance over her words. "It's just to take my mind off people for a while. To chill out. It's not even going to be a regular thing; just a one off."

Her words make him smile a bit. "Okay, Piper, if you say so. If it turns out to not be a one off thing then you always have my number, hey?" he says and then pulls out the small packet of cannabis. "Tell you what, take it for free. Think of it as an early wedding gift, if you wish."

Those words makes Piper shake her head. "It might not even go on," she tells him but he just laughs when she goes to offer him the money. "Really, I can't take it for free."

"Listen, Piper," he begins. "We weren't good friends back in high school but you and I did have some fun back then. Now you're getting married, whether you think it'll actually go on or not is a completely different thing, so just take it. You deserve it girl." He blows out a breath of air before giving her a smile. "Especially as I won't be getting an invite, will I?"

She is taken back at his words and shakes her head slightly to make sure she heard properly. "Oh, urm, I dunno. We haven't really done anything to do with it yet, but if you want to come –even though I don't know why anyone would– then I'll invite you," she tells him.

He raises an eyebrow at her. "Even though Taylor knows my relationship with drugs and he doesn't like that at all?"

"It isn't up to him. God, I wish people would stop thinking that just because I'm engaged to him means that he controls everything and anything to do with what I want and what will be happening in the future, 'cos he doesn't you know." She opens the packet and pulls out some papers and sits on one of the swings they're near, rolling the joint as best as she could remember from being in high school.

The guy shoves his hands in his pockets before looking over his shoulder. "I gotta go, Piper. I must say you haven't changed a bit." He smiles at those words. "And if the wedding does go on, I'd love an invite, just so that I actually see you in a dress for once." With those words he leaves the park, allowing Piper to finish rolling her joint in peace. A smile is on her face from his words and as she lights it up, she thinks back to how it was like in high school when she did this. Those were the good days, back before anything became complicated.