Thursday's Child

tolearnthemeaningoflife

It's been three days since she has seen Taylor, and during those three days Piper has thought about whether or not she should just drop out of college. It doesn't matter whether she does or doesn't because the qualifications she's working to won't affect her job in the bookstore and there is no way she will be seeking a new job any time soon. But when she sees her mother walk into the store on that afternoon, she contemplates whether getting a new job would be the best for her sanity.

She spots her daughter next to a shelf and marches over, her determined expression set which lets Piper know that there's no way she'll get out of whatever her mother has come to talk to her about. Tenner bet it's because of her and Taylor.

"We need to talk, Piper," she says as soon as she's in hearing distance.

"Well I'm working," she replies coolly.

She folds her arms across her chest. "Then I'll just wait until your break." She doesn't believe that her mother will actually do it, but when it comes to her break half an hour later, she sees that her mother did in fact wait around for her. It just doubles her suspicion that it's about her and Taylor considering the fact that her mother adores Taylor. With a sigh she leads her mother out the back to where she had her fight with Daniel.

"I don't care what happened, Piper. That's between you and him, but grow up and realise that not everything is about you. You're getting married for pete's sake, act like a woman or act like a child, you can't do both," she starts and all Piper can do is roll her eyes at the words because it's not surprising that her mother came to her work (something that she didn't even know about, but Piper suspects that Taylor's mother is out to ruin her peace) just to give her this talk. "Listen to me for once, Piper."

"You're right, mother. It's between me and him, not you," she snaps.

"Oh grow up. You need a wake up call and I'm the one that's going to give it to you. Life's a bitch, Piper. It fucks you over and you fuck up. You deal with it and get over it." She just shakes her head at her mother. She doesn't even know why she's even trying like she is, it doesn't matter what she says.

"I know life's a bitch, I'm not stupid." She gets cut off.

"You are, Piper. You think you aren't but with how you're acting it just proves that you are stupid. I'm going to give you a piece of advice, and it's up to you whether you take note of it or not, but I wish you would." Her mother stops for a moment and gives a sigh, almost like she doesn't want to be telling her daughter this because she just doesn't think it'll make an ounce of difference.

Piper leans against the wall lazily. "Well?"

Her mother just rolls her eyes at her daughter's attitude. "Life isn't about acting on what you think is best for you. No matter what anyone tells you, Piper, life is about doing things for other people. Ignore all the bullshit that the only person you need to please in life is yourself. Life is about pleasing others and doing things that you don't want to do, and the reason you do those things is because they'll please others," she explains to her daughter. "You walked out on Taylor because it benefited you and you only. Now you need to grow up and realise that it was a stupid thing to do. And if you have any ounce of sense, you'll go back to him and you'll stay, not for yourself, but for him. You'll accept any apology he gives you and you'll put the whole damn thing behind you. You'll walk down that aisle in August and you'll pray that you find any of the happiness that he finds in the whole thing along the way."

For a moment there's silence, her mother's words still hanging in the air. That was one of the first times she has ever had a speech by her mother. They were never close growing up and weren't close as she become an adult, either. Speeches didn't happen in her house and she was happy about that. But now, now her mother has just given her a speech that she can tell is behind her mother's marriage to her father falling apart. She watched it happen when she was twelve and now, even though it wasn't in so many words, her mother just admitted what the cause of the failure of their marriage was.

There are no other words spoken between mother and daughter because one leaves the back and goes out the store, heading home, and the other goes back into the store and continues with her job. The words she was told continue to hang in the air the whole time, allowing her to maul over them for the remaining of her shift.