Thursday's Child

tosavealife

The next day Piper goes back to her and Taylor's house. She realises that her mother has been right for the first time in her life and that she needs to listen to her because she's only trying to help. It took her a lot to admit that to herself last night. It wasn't something that she enjoys so she's just going to forget about it after today and pretend that she came back because she realised that it was for the best. There was no way she'd tell Taylor that it was her mother that made her come back.

She knocks when she gets to the house and waits for Taylor to open the door. She has a key and she could just walk in but she figures that it's best if he lets her in and then they talk. When she knocks again he opens the door and is fairly surprised to see her standing there.

"Taylor," she greets and steps into the house. She doesn't say anything else to him as she walks further into the house, only stopping when he grabs her wrist lightly and pulls her onto the sofa for a talk. She knew they'd have to talk, something that she dislikes greatly, but she also knows that it's inevitable.

"I'm sorry, Piper. I honestly don't know what I did and if I knew it I wouldn't have done it," he apologises sincerely, and she has to resist rolling her eyes at him. She knows that he wouldn't have done it if he did know because she's got him so far wrapped around her finger that he worries about her needs and wants before he worries about his. Of course they do argue at times, but that's mostly Piper starting it although she'd never admit it.

She shrugs. "It's okay. It's over with. Just forget about it," she tells him, brushing off his apology and going to stand up. Hopefully everything can go back to how it was and she could focus on how the fuck she was going to patch things up with Daniel because she knows that she has to.

"Piper, please, we need to talk." She doesn't get why he's literally begging for them to talk because they don't need to. All they need to do is put what happened behind them and go about with their lives as if nothing happened. That's all she wants to do but apparently he doesn't want to.

She sighs and stands up, walking away from Taylor and hoping that he doesn't follow her. Luck is not on her side because he gets up and follows her into the kitchen. And unfortunately now, he's in the doorway and she has nowhere to go other than the other side of the room. "Please, I just want to talk," he says softly, and with her back to him, she pulls a face at his words and wishes that he would just leave her be for once. But instead she puts the kettle on and turns to face him.

"Okay, talk."

He nods and runs a hand through his hair. "I... I need you to understand why I want everything to be perfect for you," he begins and she nods lazily. "Three months before I proposed to you I was in hospital. Did my mum ever tell you why?"

A part of her is saying that she should leave before he starts speaking again. She doesn't give a fuck as to why he was in the hospital, people get put in there every day, but she just shakes her head no and pretends that she gives a damn about why he's telling her this.

"It's because I tried to kill myself."

She cuts him off. "What?" she asks in disbelief because there's no way he tried to kill himself because he's Taylor for fuck's sake, he's happy and would never do something like that. That's crazy.

There's a minute of silence as he struggles to find the right words to tell her. "I... Piper, the one thing that's meant the most to me for the last three years is you. But I thought you didn't care, call me crazy but it felt like you were avoiding me and couldn't stand to be around me, and I couldn't take it. So I... I swallowed pill after pill after pill and then washed it down with vodka and waited to die. I didn't die, as you can see, but afterwards I realised that I couldn't stand not being with you and had to propose. I honestly don't know what I would have done if you'd said no." It's obvious that it's painful for him to talk about, but Piper is still trying to convince herself that he didn't try to kill himself because that's just not what Taylor does. Taylor is happy, Taylor is loved, and Taylor is someone that is there for others. That's Taylor, not some guy who tries to kill himself, dammit!

He crosses the kitchen and pulls her in for a hug. "Piper, you saved me when you said yes, and for that I could never be more grateful than I am," he tells her and places a kiss on top of her head.

And when she didn't think things could get any worse, she's getting taken on a fucking guilt trip. Brilliant.