Thursday's Child

tocatchaliar

A family dinner ensures the same night because her mother is just so happy that she accepted his proposal. The joy of her finally finding someone that she likes and making the person as happy as anything. It doesn't even matter that she's nineteen; her mother's been waiting for this day for the past three years.

When she gets dragged from her room that night, she realises that her mother doesn't know what the term family dinner actually means because it looks like half the town is here. She doesn't even know half the adults in the room, let alone the teenagers. "Oh, Piper!" a shrill voice calls her and she can't help but cringe when she realises it's her Aunt Clara. Her mother doesn't like her Aunt Clara, her father doesn't like her Aunt Clara, and she certainly doesn't like her Aunt Clara so why the fuck is she here? "You're getting married! My little niece is getting married and to such a lovely man," she gushes when she finally reaches the girl.

"I only just accepted. How are you here? You live miles away, Aunt Clara," she asks in a tone that says that she finds this confusing but the mindset of she wishes that she didn't know.

She waves the girl's words off. "Your mother told us all weeks ago that you were going to be getting married soon. Though, you're still only nineteen, aren't you?" She tuts and shakes her head. "Everyone's overlooked your age. That's so terrible. Why on earth does your mother want you married at nineteen. I think I'm going to have words with your mother, Piper. Please excuse me." She watches as the woman totters off before she thinks back to what her aunt had said. They all knew weeks ago? How is that even possible? They couldn’t have honestly known that she was going to say yes. Hell, even she didn't know why she said yes. The voice in the back of her head tells her that she does but she just ignores it and continues through the room, now intent with finding Taylor more than anyone else.

She does find him eventually, and when she does she wishes that she didn't because he holds her around the waist and kisses her lips softly in front of the people he was just talking to. All she wants to do is just push him away and stop him acting like this but she knows that she can't because she just sealed her fate by accepting his proposal. Aw, so cute and You make a wonderful couple is all she can hear as she stands there, his arms around her waist. He's gone back to a conversation with one of the people and she knows that the others are trying to speak to her but she just can't.

After a while she can't take it. "I... I need to go find someone," she mutters to Taylor before she escapes his arms and almost runs across the room. She passes people who offer congratulations to her but she ignores them. She doesn't fucking care that they're happy for her and Taylor; she just wants to get out of here. The kitchen is empty when she reaches it and for that she is grateful. She opens the back door and slips out quickly, shutting the door behind her and turning to the garden. She jumps and feels her heart race when she sees that she isn't the only one in the garden, though it's more of who it is that makes her heart race.

"Piper," he says and she can just hear it in his voice.

"You're... what... Daniel?" Her voice is full of surprise and disbelief whereas her head is full of the words stupid girl.

"You're getting married. I came to wish you congrats. I'm happy for you, Piper."

She stares at him for a moment, his words sinking in to her mind. "Bullshit," she says, "complete and utter bullshit, Daniel."

He shrugs and looks at her. "You're the one getting married, not me." And he has to mention that why? They stare at each other for a moment; his face blank of any emotion and her on the verge of smiling. She doesn't even know why the fuck she'd want to smile in this situation.

"You're... we... you've forgiven me?" she asks, an incredulous look on her face. She somehow didn't believe that because they hadn't spoken in five months so for him to suddenly show up and wish her congrats wasn't something that she took easily.

"I came to wish my best friend congratulations on getting engaged," he tells her and she just shakes her head at his words. "Believe what you want, Piper, it isn't like you're going to really care." She watches as he turns on his heel and walks down the garden and to the gate. He climbs over it, rests at the top, and looks back to her before he swings himself over and disappears in the alley behind the house. She sighs and rests her head on the back door. She just fucks everything up.