Thursday's Child

tosurprisesomeone

Come Monday she was sick of her house, sick of her parents and most of all, sick of Taylor. He just would not leave her alone. Every single fucking day he came over to her house and every single fucking day he felt the need to kiss her. She didn't have him down as someone who would need to show affection every day but obviously she was wrong.

Thankfully she still has college and work to attend so she could escape from them all for quite some time. It made it even better that Taylor didn't know where she works so he can't just turn up and surprise her there much like she thought he would if he knew where she worked.

She goes about her day like normal: attends college, avoids her History teacher (who she has been avoiding since last month), smokes with her friends, and walks with her friend to their work. They work in the bookshop that is in the same town as their college because they need the money and would rather work together than alone with people they don't know. Plus, in the long run, it isn't the sort of place that she would see Taylor ever dropping by for a quick look around. She was more than fine with this. Being that they have worked there for the past three years, the manager and boss have become quite acquainted with them so often the girls are left to close the place and make sure everything is locked and that the money is put away properly.

Her friend passes her in the shop and stops. "Wanna go on a smoke break? Tony's here so it's not like we're going to leave this place unsupervised," she says and twirls her cigarette packet between two fingers.

"As if you're worried about that," she replies back to her friend. The books that are in her arms are put on the shelves and she heads towards the back with the other girl. Whoever made cigarette breaks is a lifesaver in her eyes.

They stand against the building's wall and light up their cigarettes. It takes the girls five minutes to finish their smokes and head back inside. Their manager just sighs at them but doesn't say anything. He never does because he knows it won't stop them from going on more cigarette breaks. It's just how they are and really, he can't complain because they're good workers. The afternoon goes slow for Piper which is good because she just wants to be alone. Her friend and manager are exceptions because they don't know about what she did during the weekend, and for that she is so fucking happy.

An hour before she is to finish her shift, someone walks through the bookshop's doors and it's someone who she just wishes would die because she knows that something will be said and then her friend will find out and that is something that she just doesn't want to happen. Full stop.

"Piper? Piper, dear!" the woman calls out and she just wants to fucking murder her right then. Why did she have to call her name? What on earth possessed her to do such a horrendous thing? "I didn't know you worked here."

She plasters a fake smile on her face. "Yeah. I've been working here for a while now. Nothing that interesting, I'm afraid."

The woman waves her words off almost as if what the girl had said was a bunch of lies. "Nonsense, Piper. Of course it's interesting, dear." She didn't get why this woman just couldn't take the fucking hint and leave.

"Is anything wrong here?" She almost jumps because holy shit it's her friend and fuck, fuck, fuck this woman knows about her being engaged and she could almost guarantee that she would say something because she's just that type of person. The woman looks like she has received an insult with what the girl says. Almost as if she can't believe that anyone would ever think that she could be causing someone trouble. What an absurd thing to think.

"Of course not. Why would there be? I was just speaking to Piper about her work and how I didn't know she worked here."

Her friend raises her eyebrow at the woman. "Why would she tell you anyway? Her parents don't even know so why would you know?"

The woman looks between Piper and her friend. "Well I am going to be her mother-in-law soon so why shouldn't I know?" the woman retorts in a condescending tone.

Her friend stares at her, eyes wide. "Mother-in-law?" she asks.

"Daniel."

"Daniel?!" Her voice raises higher much like it does whenever she's surprised.

The woman shakes her head. "Who on earth is Daniel, Piper? It's Taylor you're marrying," she corrects and her friend's eyes go wider.

"Taylor, Taylor?" She nods and her friend looks like someone has just told her that she isn't actually female, but rather male and was in an accident when she was younger. That shocked. "Oh my god." She knows this isn't good. This was the whole reason why she didn't want to tell her friends about the news because she just knows how they would all react.

Piper's wish gets an answer when their manager comes over, clearly concerned over what's going on because both his workers aren't working. "Is anything wrong here?" he asks and looks between the two girls and the woman.

She shakes her head. "No, no. I just came in to see Piper. I'm going now." With that the woman looks between Piper and her friend before she turns and walks out of the shop. The girl feels like a weight disappears from her shoulders as soon as the woman disappears... then she looks at her friend and feels it back again.

"Taylor, mother-in-law, Daniel?" she asks and her voice holds her surprise in, so does her expression as well as her eyes. Oh fucking great.