Thursday's Child

tofallinlove

[Five Years Previous]

She stands down the road next to her school, a smoke in one hand and her phone in the other. Her friends are standing the same way, smoke and all. This was the place that the Year Nines came to smoke during school. Most would think that thirteen and fourteen year olds shouldn't be smoking, but they honestly didn't fucking care.

"Jones ain't in today," her friend says and she looks at her. "Me mum knows his wife, remember? Their kid's got the flu or something, and he's looking after it."

"That means that no one going to come down here and spot us, right?" she says and her friend nods. Her other friend throws her cigarette to the floor and blows out the smoke. She tells them that she'd going to head into school now, and starts walking up the road. She and her friend watch as the girl walks up the road and disappears around the corner. "Are you going to follow or do you wanna dodge today? I got Science today, and fuck do you know that Physics is a knob."

"I got Maths," her friend replies and she knows that she'll be dodging with her. They throw their cigarettes to the floor before turning and heading the opposite direction to the school. Being in their uniform didn't help with them dodging -plenty people like reporting truanting teenagers- but they didn't care. They have somewhere to go to, and someone to be with. That someone comes under the name of Daniel and he just so happens to be Piper's best fucking friend. He was only a year older than her, and yet he was rarely in school. If she had her own way, she'd spend all her days with him rather than at school. It wasn't like education interests her. Never has done.

His parents were rarely home, and even when they were it wasn't like they made a big deal about him not going to school. They gave up when he was twelve; if he wants the education, he'll get it himself were their words about him. So when Piper and her friend reach his house, they knock once before opening the door and going in. They find him in the sitting room, and one look at Piper makes him overjoyed. "Piper, fancy seeing you 'ere. And your friend. Lemme guess, you're dodging school?" he asks with a grin on his face.

"You're such a fucking genius," she replies and he just laughs before patting the sofa next to him. Both girls go over and sit next to him. He picks up his smoke from the table and she just laughs at him. "Ain't it a bit early for that?" she asks.

He shakes his head. "Nah, never. Anyway, there's nothing here 'cept this so figured might as well use it well," he explains.

"You're using it well alright," she says in a tone that makes him give her the finger. He offers her it but she shakes her head, refusing. Her friend, however, nods and takes it from him, inhaling and fuck that's good. While her friend smokes the rest of it, Piper goes into the kitchen to make something to eat, Daniel not far behind.

He leans on one of the counters and watches her. "You don't come often enough, Pips," he says and she sighs but keeps her back to him.

"Unlike someone, I go to school."

"Barely."

She shrugs and gets a bowl down from the cupboard. The popcorn from the bread bin gets poured into the bowl, the rubbish being left on the side. She leaves the bowl on the side and turns around so that she's facing him. They just look at one another for a few moments before she sighs. He speaks before she can. "You'll always be my best friend, Piper. No matter what, okay?" She looks at him oddly but nods her head. He gives her a smile before he heads into the sitting room, leaving her in the kitchen by herself. She knows that he was going to say something else, it was just so fucking obvious, but he decided not to for some reason. She didn't know that reason, but she wanted to. Being that she knows him quite well, she knows that she won't know what the reason is without him wanting her to know, and judging by the fact that he didn't say it, she knows that he doesn't want her to know.

She sighs, puts her elbows on the side and rests her head on her palms. It's stupid, just so fucking stupid, she knows it so much, but she just can't help it. She wishes that she could, just so she doesn't fuck anything up because he's her best fucking friend and this is something that can only spell disaster. Plus she's not one of those girls who will risk a friendship for something so fucking selfish. Those are the people she just cannot stand.