Thursday's Child

toberomantic

Piper struggles to understand just why this woman is at her work again. After last time and the false accusation of being rude -not to mention the fact that it brought along the announcement of 'we're moving out'- she thought that the woman wouldn't appear at her work again. She was wrong.

"So Piper, dear, it's Taylor's birthday next week," she says and the girl rolls her eyes because like she hasn't been reminded of this fifty fucking times already this week.

"Really? I forgot," she states and brushes past the woman with books in her hand. She hopes that the woman will just leave but sadly, she doesn't. The woman has a look of disbelief on her face as if she can't understand why she would say that she had forgotten her own fiancé’s birthday. The thought it just terrible.

The woman looks at the books in her hands before she takes them from her, making the girl have to look at her. "How can you forget your own fiancé’s birthday, Piper?" the woman demands.

"I'm at work, Allison. Right now nothing matters except for working and not losing my damn job. Of course I haven't forgotten about his birthday -how could I?- but as of this moment in time, it doesn't matter to me," she tells the woman finally before she takes the books from her and continues down the aisle. She doesn't know whether the woman follows her down it because she just doesn't look back until she's put the books in their right places. The woman stands where she was when she told her that, and for a minute it makes the girl happy that she decided not to keep following her like a fucking lost dog. "And for the record, I'm making him his favourite food," she tells the woman as she passes. Of course she just needs to find out what his favourite is first.

This has the woman perk up and continue following her around the shop. "That's so romantic, Piper," she explains and the girl rolls her eyes. "Much better than a material item. Of course you won't have a place by then, and your mother's kitchen is terrible, so it makes sense for you to come over to ours. I'll help you sort everything out and work the utensils, and then we'll leave you two alone. Who knew you were so romantic, Piper."

She gives her a mocking smile. "Well, I'm just full of surprises."

The woman laughs. "That you are, dear. I'm looking forward to you becoming my daughter-in-law. Who knew that you were the sort to want a summer wedding," she says and the girl frowns. When the fuck did she ever talk about the wedding, let alone talk about wanting a summer wedding.

"We haven't spoken about it," she tells the woman only to have her words waved off.

"Anyway, I must be going now." With that the woman leaves the shop and she can't help but feel relief about her no longer being there. She sighs and goes to find her friend for a smoke break. She finds her in the back and she agrees to the break so they both head outside and light up their cigarettes.

"I still can't believe you're getting married, Piper," her friend says. "You weren't even going out, were you?"

She blows out a puff of smoke. "Nope."

"So why are you getting married?"

"I don't even know," she admits and takes a puff of her cigarette. "He wanted to ask something, right, so I figured I knew what it would be so I said yeah and everything, then he pulls this whole speech and then tops it with will you fucking marry me, and what was I supposed to do when he pulls the ring out and explains it's from his mother's mother with this hopeful look on his face?"

Her friend looks over. "Say no?"

"You have someone propose to you then come and tell me to fucking say no," the girl snaps. Her friend puts her hands up in a defence manner. "Besides, we probably won't even get married."