Thursday's Child

tocometoarevelation

Piper toys with her phone as she sits on her bed. It's two in the morning and she hasn't yet slept. She has to be up in just over three hours but she doesn't care. College can screw itself for all she cares. With a sigh, she goes through her contacts list for the tenth time within the last half hour and rests on a contact. Daniel. She knows it's not good if she ends up phoning him, she fucking knows it, but she can't help but miss her best friend.

Her fingers press down on the button and she puts it on speaker, resting the phone on the bed and bringing her finger to her mouth to chew on a hangnail. It rings again and again and again, and she was about to hang up when it was answered. No voice comes from down the line, and she knows he's there and why he's not talking, but it hurts.

"Daniel," she starts before she stops. Can she mess it up more than she already has? A part of her believes she can, but the bigger part reasons that there's no way she could possibly mess up more. "I miss you, Daniel. And you better fuckin' believe it 'cos I'm not kidding you. I know I messed up, and I know I was the worst bitch ever, but, fuck, you're my best friend." She stops because she knows that she's not going about it the right way. Her words felt false and she knew that he heard it, too.

"And what do you want me to do about it, Piper?" he asks down the line, making her heart thump heavily in her chest. "You're the one marrying Taylor, not me."

"It's not about him!" she protests, her voice rising. Her regards, if only for herself, about waking her parents drifts from her mind.

He makes a noise down the line and she doesn't like it one bit. "Of course it's about him, Piper. I know it and you know it, but the difference it I'm not the one trying to deny it because -well, why, Piper? Why are you trying to deny what we both know? Please enlighten me," he says to her. She almost regrets phoning him but she knows that she'll never fully regret doing anything for Daniel, not even if it landed in her in more trouble than she's been in before. "You can't, can you? Of course not; you're just making excuses for him."

"That's not fair, Daniel," she snaps and he just laughs.

"Fair? How is it fair that you're marrying someone you don't even love for a reason that is incomprehensible? How is it fair that you're playing me like you are?"

"Don't you fuckin' accuse me of that. Don't you dare, Daniel, because you know that's not true," she insists firmly. This was going so fucking wrong but she just couldn't find it in herself to just hang up. It would have been the best thing for her to do in the situation, but she misses him too much to end it herself.

A minute passes where neither of them says anything. She knows he's still on the line and she's anxious. Another minute passes and she's just about to say something when he breaks the silence. "How much do you actually believe is real?" he asks and she closes her eyes as if that could block out his words.

"Daniel, please," she starts. She's about to say something else, anything else, but then she realises it. Her eyes open and she feels so fucking bad but she knows she has to admit it. "This is all my fault, isn't it? I'm sorry." And then she hangs up her phone and just stares at it. She wills it to ring back but it doesn't. Even though she knows why, it still hurts. Of course it hurts her, but she deserves it, she knows fully well that she deserves it.