Status: started up! Thanks everyone for you're encouragement

Into Thin Air

Chapter 5

So thats it, she left me. She finally left me.

My mind replayed the words as I drove to Kristina's apartment. I had picked up Darcy there a few times, but the route must have stuck in my brain. I drove the car subconsciously, my fists clenching the steering wheel.

She seemed fine yesterday, when we were together. In fact, she hadn't ever shown signs that their relationship was moving too fast. The last month was a slideshow of smiles and laughing in my mind, but I replayed every memory I could conjure up, looking for signs of Darcy's unhappiness.

I should never have suggested she meet my father. . .

That must have been it. I had always been too eager to speak of our future together. In addition to my crazy history of drugs and street life, meeting my father must have been the breaking point. I remembered her hesitancy to pack, wishing I had cancelled the trip then and there. I tried to imagine where Darcy was now: probably on a bus or a train somewhere, clutching a small purse of possessions to her chest. She was probably relieved, smiling even. Like a weight had been lifted off her back. What she didn't know was the weight was dropped right onto my chest.

Had she transferred jobs? I wondered if Darcy had spoken to Robby, her boss. Maybe he knew someone in the next city, where Darcy could transfer to work there. Or maybe she was done with dancing, and had packed her bags with hopes of a different career.

But something didn't add up: Darcy would never leave her father, even with his progress in rehab. And wouldn't she had told Kristina, her best friend, to aide in her escape? What about her education in a private boarding school-would she throw all that away?

I shook my head as I pulled into the parking lot of Kristina's building. Shutting off the car, I put my face in my hands as I tried to compile the mess of thoughts that echoed in my mind. Whatever the answer was, I had lost her.

I got out of the car finally, shutting the door behind me and walking to the front of the building. Kristina's building was very nice, made up of white brick walls and embellished with mulch and flower beds in the front. A door man opened the door for me, but I paid no attention to him as I ran inside.

At the elevator, I pushed the button repeatedly until I heard a ding. If there were other people inside, I didn't notice threw the red haze I was seeing. I quickly pushed the button for Kristina's floor, then the button to close the door. The elevator kept the same drawn out pace, adding to my anger.

When I reached Kristina's floor, she was waiting for me and already shooing me inside. I followed her as she lead me into the kitchen and sat me down on a stool. We sat in silence as she turned to the counter, pressing buttons on her cell phone that was plugged into the wall. After an eternity, the message began to play.

"Hey Kris! I'm in the parking lot. Sam said you were out here, but I don't see you. So, ummm call me if you get this? I was looking forward to meeting you're new boyfriend. . ." The familiar sound of Darcy's voice was replaced with noise and static. I was confused, but I waiting for the message to continue. "Oh hey, this must be you pulling up?" I listened more closely to the noise that followed-the repetition of beats, like footsteps? They stopped short, leaving static, and then Darcy's voice again. This time, she sounded panicked. "Alright . ."Static. "Okay Darcy. . ." Static. "Come on. . ." This time, lots of noises coming at once. I couldn't process all the sounds, it left me confused until Darcy's voice came back, sounding more distressed then ever. "Come on!" She shrieked, and the phone was jostled around, resulting in more noises. My ears perked up at the sound of another voice, this one foreign but the words undistinguishable. A loud thump and more static and jostling. I bit my lip in frustration, wishing I could see the events that were unfolding before me. "Okay. . okay, Kristina? Kristina, I'm in the parking lot!" I looked up at Kristina where she sat at the counter in front of me, arms wrapped around herself. "Theres two men, in a black van-" Static. Suddenly I understood. Darcy had not left me willingly. The twisting feeling in my stomach was replaced with dread, and a shooting pain that felt like I had swallowed a knife. Darcy had been taken away from me. My ears perked up as I listened to the static, trying to make out any sounds I could. "Kristina!" Darcy screamed at full volume, her voice fading. More static, a thud and a bang. "Help! Rayden!" My eyes widened at my name and I sat frozen, waiting for more. We sat for another minute, listening to straight static until the message ended with a beep.

I looked up at Kristina, the terror I felt in my stomach displaying on her face. In that instant, it all became clear.

Someone had taken Darcy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short again, but I'd rather give you short updates then keep you waiting! Hope you like, comments appreciated!

<3