Status: started up! Thanks everyone for you're encouragement

Into Thin Air

Chapter 6

Oakland police station was a small building on the corner of town. The walls were painted a green-gray color, which desperately needed a second layer of paint. The ceiling had deep water stains, which made me wonder if the building was even safe to be in. If the place had been evacuated for safety reasons, it probably would look something like it did not-two desks in the main room, each piled high with scattered papers and files. A thick, boxy computer sat on one, but the dust on the keyboard and the lack of mouse led me to believe it wasn't turned on frequently. On the far wall I sat next to Kristina in cheap office chairs. At the far desk, an older woman with her graying hair tied into a bun answered the ever-ringing phone. From behind her wide frame glasses, she seemed unable to give the callers any answers besides "Yes, we're working on it" or "He's not in today, but I can have him get back to you tomorrow".

The clock on the wall above the door told us we had been sitting here for two hours. The only other person before us had been a young woman who claimed her house was robbed, and she was taken in about an hour ago. Kristina and I sat impatiently in the chairs, nervously tapping our fingers or occasionally sighing with frustration. It seemed like we were caught in a twilight zone reality, as the people surrounding us were bust with idle tasks.

After an eternity and a half, a police officer entered the room and approached us.

"Rayden Armstrong?" As soon as the first syllable was out of his mouth I stood from my chair. Kristina had been caught in a daze, but stood when she noticed the activity. The two of us followed the officer into another small room. I adorned the same dreary wall paint, a cluttered desk and a computer. There were two more office chairs in front of this one, which Kristina and I took a seat in. The officer sat behind the desk.

"Yes. . . what is it you would like to report?" He pressed a button on the back of the monitor, and I heard the dull groan as the computer came alive.

"We'd like to report a missing person." Kristina spoke. The officer looked up at us, as if we were kidding. When he saw the expression on our faces, he stood and crossed the room to a file cabinet in the corner. He opened each drawer for a few seconds, before finally removing a file from the last one and coming back to his seat.

"Name?" He asked, clicking a pen from a popsicle-stick pencil holder that a child must have made him.

"Darcy Williams." I spit the words off my tongue as if we were playing a board game, and I had to answer first. But the police officer didn't seem to feel the urgency, as he wrote the words as slowly as possible.

"Age?"

"Seventeen." Again, I answered as fast as possible, tapping my feet impatiently. The officer looked up at me, rubbing his chin with one finger and creasing his brow.

"How long has this girl been missing, eh?" I looked at Kristina, who seemed to be counting down the hours in her head.

"Sometime last night, she never came home." The officer's hand was at his chin, mindlessly tracing a circle in consideration. He turned to the computer last night, typing something in.

"Darcy Williams, eh? Is this the same Ms. Williams that dropped out of high school at the age of sixteen?" There must have been some kind of online file.

"Yes, but she's back in school now. Private school." The officer's face was full of thought.

"I'm afraid we see these kind of cases all the time-high school drop outs, trying new things, doesn't come home one night. Until it's been twenty four hours, I can't officially file a missing person's report. The two of you are friends, perhaps? Siblings? It's very good of you to voice this concern, kids. I'm afraid your friend is probably passed out somewhere at a friends house-these kids will smoke anything these days. Or maybe she's picked up and moved to the city, hoping to make it as-"

"-this is utterly ridiculous." I heard myself say. No sooner were the words out of my mouth then I was standing. "You've never even met this girl, you have no right to judge her based on whatever file you've got in this office of yours. She's not on drugs and she didn't run away she was abducted. And I'm certainly not going to wait seven more hours so you can be officially convinced that she hasn't run away to New York City." Furious, I stomped through the door and into the entrance room. The woman who had been answering phones was now carrying a stack of files, but she turned as I entered and hit me, knocking them all onto the floor. I continued out the door, aware of Kristina who was bustling after me, mumbling an apology. I kept walking until we reached the end of the block.

"They're not even going to do anything!" I yelled, breathing heavily. My hands were in fists at my sides, and I mindlessly swung one at the nearest thing to me-a stop sign. They collided together in a furious bang that echoed off the empty buildings. I could feel the sharp pain in my hand, shooting up my arm.

"Rayden!" Kristina flinched back, and I let out a deep sigh. "We're going to have to figure out a plan B." I sat down on the damp sidewalk and Kristina joined me. Wordlessly, I picked up my phone, dialing the familiar numbers.

"Hello? This is Rayden. Somethings happened. I need your help."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like :) Comment and tell me what you think on:

-Rayden's reaction
-Officer's actions
-who did Rayden call?
-What will happen next?
-Where's Darcy???

Thanks so much for reading guys! I hope you like, please subscribe and comment, I love to hear your thoughts. Also if anyones interested in making me some layouts, I'd loveya ;)

<3