Dying in Wine

IX.

I felt a little unnerved. Henrik unnerved me. I was glancing through his collection of books when I felt a piercing gaze behind me. I nonchalantly looked behind me, but Henrik wasn’t looking at me. He was standing in the dark corner staring at the door. I turned back to the books, but I still felt like his eyes were on me.

I took a seat in the empty armchair. It was a nice, cool leather material that I easily slid into. I let out a breath out of pure boredom. Henrik didn’t seem like the extroverted type who could keep me occupied until the party was over. I turned over in the chair to face Henrik and asked, “So, how long have you worked for Adrian?”

“Many years,” he grunted without looking at me. I waited a moment before realizing he wasn’t going to expand on the details.

“Ah” was my response. I let out another breath and grab the first book on the shelf in front of me. Great Expectations. I have never read it before, but I’d read anything to make the awkward tension in the room dissipate.

***


I didn’t remember falling asleep, but I knew I was dreaming. I was in the forest again. The trees were bare, appearing as skinless fingers jutting from the ground. The sky was a murky, dark grey color. It was the kind of color before a bad storm. It was chilly, so I tried to wrap the scarf around my neck tighter so it covered part of my cheeks.

I was four years old, and I was lost in the forest.

“Grandma?” I called out. “Grandma? Where are you?” She was just beside me, and now she was missing. She was supposed to play with me.

I was walking through the snow, picking my leg up high then watching as it sunk into the snow as I took a step. I looked behind me, but my footprints disappeared. Normally, I would have giggled to myself and my own ridiculousness, but the thought of my grandmother gone made me upset.

A small breeze picked up, and I felt a presence in front of me. I looked up to see a shadowy figure.

“Don’t cry,” it said. I took off one of my mittens and felt my cheek. It was stained with tears. The dark figure came closer, bent down towards eye level, and reached to wipe away a tear. It was Adrian.

“I can’t find my grandma.” I was bawling which led to the hiccups.

“Don’t cry,” he said. He took my hand and started walking through the forest. My naked hand was growing warm from Adrian’s touch.

“Please help me find her.” I pleaded to him.

“I can’t.” He looked down at me, and I realized he had no expression of empathy or concern on his face. He remained stoic. “She’s not lost.”

***


I wake up gasping, struggling for a breath. Henrik’s hand was on my shoulder as if he was trying to wake me up.

“Miss Stone?” His eyes showed concern.

“I’m fine,” I gasped, slowly catching my breath. “I apologize for falling asleep.”

“No need for apologies. Mr. Lawling requested I drive you home.”

“Mr. Lawling? Oh, you mean Adrian. Yes, please. I really appreciate it,” I told Henrik. With one arm on the armrest, I steadied myself as I slowly stood up. I returned the book on the shelf, noticing I barely made it into the second chapter before I fell asleep. Henrik found me one of Adrian’s blazers to put over my bare shoulders.

We passed the ballroom on our way out, and I stiffened, afraid of seeing Isaac again. But the lights were off and the place was empty. Remnants from an uninterrupted party could be seen through the dark. Nice to know they continued the party without me.

“W-what time is it?” I asked.

“Around 3 o’clock in the morning,” Henrik responded.

“That late?! Why didn’t you wake me up earlier? I’m really sorry to impose!”

“You slept so peacefully, I didn’t want to disturb your dreams. They say if you disrupt the dream before the end, it’s bad luck.”

“Too late.”