Dying in Wine

XIII.

Five hours later, I was wearing a simple wool dress with wool tights, hidden by Adrian’s blazer. His coat was a little too big for me, but I would be hidden by the crowd, so hopefully no one would notice. As I approached the club building, a string of cars were lining up towards the entrance. I crouched down behind a limo as it idled. The security guard was on the prowl, checking and re-checking invitations. If he had the means, I’m sure he would’ve checked it for forgery.

My chance came when a large family emerged from the vehicle. I hid myself behind a pair of tweens. The mother paused to hand the guard the invitation while her kids shuffled in. I held my breath, hoping the guard wouldn’t catch me.

My breath drew out once I was safely inside. While the family headed towards the ballroom where I had my own engagement party (which I would love to forget), I head towards the right where the offices are. I stopped in my tracks when I realized I had no recollection of where Adrian’s room was. I would retrace my steps, but that would increase my chances of getting caught.

I turned the corner a few times to find the directory. I remembered using it once to find my dad’s room. The directory had a long list of patrons, and I noticed my dad’s wasn’t there. My face fell when I remembered the situation we were in. I tried not to think about it when I focused on finding Adrian’s name.

“Lawling, Adrian: 27C.”

That’s right. There are different wings in this place. I looked up at the sign in the corner and saw I was in the A wing. Going down the hall, I followed the signs until I ended up in the C wing. At door 27, I saw Adrian’s name in a lovely script that I hadn’t noticed before.

I brought my hand up to knock on his door but then I hesitated. What if he wasn’t there? Then all this was for nothing. And what if he was there? What would I say to him? As I contemplated what I should do, I didn’t notice a figure coming up behind me. The figure grabbed me outstretched hand and turned me around.

It was a security guard.

“No guests in the office area,” he scolded me, pulling me towards the ballroom area. I started to speak out, when someone else did it for me.

“Let go of that young lady. She’s with me.”

We both turned to see Adrian standing by his door. The guard apologized and let me go. I rubbed my wrist and walked towards Adrian.

“Um, thanks,” I said, a little shy.

“You actually caught me at a perfect time. I was just about to head home.” With that, Henrik exited out of the room past Adrian. “Henrik is pulling the car to the front. Do you have any plans tonight?”

I couldn’t tell if he was asking me out on a date, or just as a friend, and I couldn’t remember what I originally came there to do. Without question, I said, “No.” He smiled, showing little dimples on his cheeks and his straight, white teeth.

“Shall we?” He held out his arm for me, and I grabbed it. Then I realized my purpose in visiting him.
“I brought back your blazer.” I held it out for him.

“Hang on to it,” he told me. “It’s fairly chilly outside, and you may need it more than me.”

We made it outside, and I noticed the security guard giving me a dirty look. I don’t know why I did it, but behind Adrian’s back, I stuck my tongue out at the guard. It made me feel like a child again. Then I saw the guard give me an obscene gesture, and I was about to retaliate when Adrian chuckled.

“What’s so funny?” I accidentally snapped at him.

“Oh, nothing.” I could hear the smile in his voice, and it made me chuckle.

Henrik pulled up a white vintage Bentley. Adrian opened the door for me when I asked what happened to his limousine.

“I only use it for work. And I never mix business with pleasure.” I think it was meant as a joke, but it sounded a little too sinister. Adrian got in on the other side, and sat close enough so that his long legs touched my knee. Embarrassed, I crossed my legs and looked out the window as we drove off the lot.

“So, what did you have in mind for tonight?” I asked, taking my time to look at him.

“I thought I could show you my manor,” he said. He poured himself a glass of wine from a bottle in a dispenser and offered me a glass. I politely declined, and I realized things are moving faster than intended.