Dying in Wine

IV.

“Ms. Stone, what was the cause for Mr. Gray’s pursuit towards debauchery?”

My instructor’s voice startled me out of my reverie. Then I noticed my whole class staring at me. I coughed nervously and answered, “Sorry, sir. I wasn’t paying attention.”

Mr. Goldstein gave me a hard look and lectured me to pay more attention. But how could I? I could remember Isaac Churchill giving me the once over look when he came through the door. Then the corner of his mouth curved up in a smirk, and he gave me a look that sent shivers down my spine. The shivers weren’t from excitement; only disgust. I could practically see him undressing me with his eyes. I brought my long hair to the front as if to cover my non-exposed chest. I returned his lewd expression with a dark one, but that only seemed to excite him. He waggled his eyebrows and called me pure, untouched, and beautiful.

Pfft, like I’m giving up my virginity for you, I thought to myself.

At that moment, I hadn’t noticed how hard I was gripping my pencil when it snapped in half. The person next to me looked over and raised an eyebrow. I tried to ignore him and focus on the instructor. But thankfully, the bell rang, indicating the end of the school day. Then, I realized, my best friend Carly was waiting for me outside of class. I managed to avoid her the whole day, but forgot that she had her last class next to mine.

“You’ve been avoiding me all day. What’s up?” she asked as I walked out.

“I’d rather not talk about it,” I replied, afraid of what her reaction would be. And knowing her as the school gossip, the news would be out in no time. And I didn’t want Drew finding out that way. “I need to talk to Drew first.” I was walking fast to the gym. Carly quickly caught up.

“Oh sure, you talk to your boyfriend first, but not your best friend? We’ve known each other for over ten years! I’m crushed.” I knew she wanted to make it sound like she was joking about it, but I couldn’t miss the hurt in her eyes. I bit my bottom lip, unable to hold it in.

“I’m engaged.”

A range of emotions flew across her face from confusion to excitement. Then she squealed.

“OMIGOD! You’re getting married!” She jumped up and down with joy.

I shushed her. “Quiet down! I don’t want anyone else to know about this. Especially Drew. That’s why I need to talk to him.”

“Oh, right. You need emotional support?” she asked me as we exited the main building.

“Don’t I ever,” I muttered. “If only you could come home with me, because I’ll definitely need it there.” Carly put her hand to my arm to try to comfort me. On the way to the gym, she asked me all about my fiancé, but I could only tell her about his looks and his arrogant attitude. As I explained how my own mother was flirting with him as I left the house, I felt the temperature turn colder than it already was. I hugged my arms around me, wishing I brought a heavier jacket. That’s when I heard Carly next to me.

“It’s the black limo!”

I snapped my head towards the area where she was looking. The black Excalibur limo was passing through the streets. The driver and passenger were shielded by the tinted windows. I was mesmerized by the sight, especially since the last time I saw the vehicle was when I was young.

“They say people who see the limo in public die the next day,” Carly whispered in my ear in a scary-type voice, as if reciting a ghost story. Only when the car turned on the next street did I snap out of my transfixed state and focus back on my friend.

“Where did you hear that?” I asked her, forcing myself to move.

“You know Mrs. Nowak?” I nodded. She babysat me when I was little. She died a few months ago. “Well, she saw that car, and you know what happened to her.”

We walked over to the gymnasium and saw that basketball practiced already started. I silently cursed to myself.

“I didn’t want to say it in front of everybody.“

“Well, you’ll have to tell him now or later. Either way, he’s going to be hurt.”

I sighed. I heard Carly’s ringtone go off. She moved off to the side to answer. I sat on the bleachers and watched the basketball practice. Thirty-six kept looking me after every shot to see if I noticed. I smiled. He gave a slight wave and winked at me. The coach yelled at him to stay focused. After ten minutes of what appeared to be grueling exercises, the coach whistled for a five minute break. That’s when thirty-six came jogging up next to me. He gave me a quick peck on the cheek.

“Hey lovely, enjoying the view,” he said. Actually, it was more like panted. He was sweating and out of breath.

“Don’t work too hard, Drew. Save your energy,” I told him. I took the towel from around his neck and started to wipe off the sweat from his forehead.

“Your just wiping sweat on sweat, Val,” he grinned. I rolled my eyes and threw the towel over his face.

“So, how long is your practice?” I asked.

“Just two more hours.”

“Yikes, your coach is tough.”

“And that’s why we're the national winners 4 years in a row,” he answered with pride. Carly came by once her phone call was finished. “So, dad wants me home now to take care of the little ones. Are you ready to go?” she asked me. I nodded, grabbing my messenger bag and blazer. Drew gave a quick kiss on my lips and returned to the game.

“I take it you didn’t tell him.” Carly raised her eyebrow at me. I sighed again before turning toward the exit.

“Life sucks,” I said.

“Then you die.”