Dying in Wine

VI.

“Who dropped you off?” my mother asked as she ushered me inside. She peeked through the curtains as if she could still see the Excalibur. Thankfully, our large hedges obscured her view.

“Just a friend from school,” I responded with a sigh. I internally rolled my eyes as Mother started to lecture me about how it’s improper for an engaged lady to be seen with another man.

“What about Drew? We’re still together.” Mother has never approved of my boyfriend of two years. What did she call him? Delinquent. The worst thing he’s ever done was get a speeding ticket.

“Don’t mention him ever again. You must end it with him immediately. You are engaged to be married. Now go and dress into something more suitable. We’re going shopping.”

I felt like a deer in headlights. Shopping? With my mother? That’s almost as worse as having a serious conversation with her.

“There’s my sugar plum!” A gruff voice behind me called out. Recognizing the person, I turned and tumbled into my grandfather’s arms.

“I’m so glad you’re here,” I said, voice muffled as I breathed in his scent. I rarely ever saw my grandfather. He was my rock. Even after losing his wife when I was a child, he kept things steady.

“Well, I couldn’t miss my own granddaughter’s wedding.” My smile instantly faded. I honestly wished we met under different circumstances.

“No dawdling, Valerie. We need to leave now,” Mother commanded. My grandfather felt my waver and intervened.

“Diana, let the kid breathe for a second. This is all going too fast.” Mother opened her mouth to object but Grandfather interrupted her.

“I insist,” he said in a scolding tone. The kind of tone that said, “Back off!” Before Mother could respond, Grandfather pulled me into his old study.

The house used to belong to my grandparents before my grandmother’s death. Grandfather decided to give the house to my mother. He was always welcomed to live with us, but he decided to move away from the memories.

In the study, glass cases housed old literature and documents. It was like walking through a small museum. I was afraid to touch anything.

“I haven’t been in here since you left,” I told him.

“That explains all the dust,” he joked. I cracked a smile and took a seat in the lounge chair. He put on his spectacles and searched through the books. “I can’t believe my little girl is getting married.” I frowned. This was not how I expected our reunion to be. I didn’t want to talk about it. Grandfather glanced at my expression and gave me a smile. “Better get used to the idea. You only have 4 more months until summer.”

“Summer?!” I shrieked. “That’s when my wedding will be? I thought I at least had another year until I finish high school!”I thought I had another year to make a plan to leave.

“And your engagement dinner is on Saturday.” He picked out a book, opened it, and then returned it on the shelf.

“Oh, my God,” I groaned out loud. I shoved my hands through my hair, silently wishing I could tear it out to relieve some stress. “Why, Grandpa?” I asked, trying to hide my tears. “Why are they doing this to me?”

Grandfather sighed and picked out the book he was looking for. He chose the chair across from me and crossed his legs.

“They’re doing this out of love.” I scoffed and asked for the real reason. Grandfather opened his book and cut in the middle of the pages was a small bottle of what appeared to be bourbon.

“1936,” he said and took a swig. He offered me some, but I declined. After a moment of silence, Grandfather answered my question.

“You’re father doesn’t want to admit it, but his business is going under.”

“How bad is it?”

“He filed for bankruptcy a few months ago.” I was appalled. Why didn’t they tell me this? I could have helped. I could have found a job. Granted, it wouldn’t make the $400,000 salary my dad pulled each year, but anything was better than nothing.

“So what does that have to do with me marrying?” I was afraid of the answer.

“Well, Churchill Industries graciously decided to merge the companies, on the condition that their son marries you and you both take over.”

I sat there deliberating. It was quiet in the room except for the swishing sounds of the alcohol in my grandfather’s hands. I knew how much the company meant to my father. He built it from the ground up with his own two hands. He’d be crushed if he lost his business, not to mention this house and his Lexus. I don’t even want to think about how my mother would react. Would she leave him? Even though I didn’t love my parents as much as a daughter should, I did have respect for them.

I took a large breath in and exhaled noisily. Grandfather offered me the bourbon again, and I gladly accepted it.