Status: Updated every Friday

Southern Hospitality

I Will Possess Your Heart

Locking her SUV, Sydney walks into the hardware store, setting a thermos of coffee down on the counter in front of Jensen. “Coffee as promised.” She smiles and pulls her check book out of the front pocket of her sweatshirt. “So, what do I owe you?”

Jensen smiles and pulls up her order form, entering everything in and giving her a total. Sydney can sense him watching her as she fills out the check and then signs it. Looking up, their green eyes lock and they both share a smile. Holding the check out for Jensen to take, Sydney shifts on her feet. Their fingers touch as Jensen reaches forward to take the check from her.

“Let me get this rung this up and we'll get going. Okay?” Jensen says as he starts running her check through the system.

“Alright. Did you get the washer?”

“In the bed of my truck already.” He smiles and hands her the receipt. He then proceed to hop over the counter, landing besides Sydney. The hair on her arms standing on end once again, she steps back, grabbing the thermos for him. “Let's go.” He says softly, waving to a guy standing in the back of the store before placing his hand on the small of Sydney's back, guiding her out the door after pushing it open for her.

“Between you and Jared, I am going to be spoiled and not want to open my own doors, pull out my own chair, or be able to walk down stairs.” Sydney smiles, looking over her shoulder at Jensen as they walk past her SUV and head for his truck.

“It's how I was raised.” He says with a smile before walking around to open the passenger door for Sydney. He then extends a hand to help her up into the cab.

“Thank you.” Sydney says through the open window. He just smiles as he turns to walk around the truck. She ends up watching him walk around the bed of the truck to make sure the washer is secured. A smile on her lips, she puts the thermos into the cup holder closer to Jensen's side of the truck before buckling herself up.

The driver's side opens just as Sydney is sending a text to her mom. “Fancy phone you've got there.”

Sydney looks down at her iPhone, blushing softly. “It's the one thing I refused to give up when I moved out here.”

“Who said you'd have to give it up just to live in a small town like Webster?”

“No one said it. I just didn't want to be too flashy.”

“The snake-skin patterned phone case gives the flashy vibe.” Jensen says, pulling his own iPhone out of his back pocket before climbing behind the wheel.

Sydney giggles and puts her phone back into her pocket. “Yeah, I know. I just like the way it looks.” Jensen smiles, starting the truck then reaching for the thermos. “I didn't know how you liked it, so I just put how I'd drink it.”

Jensen chuckles and opens it, taking a drink. He sets it sit before making a face. “Damn, that is nearly black.”

Sydney nods. “I just add a couple sugar packets and some honey. That's it.”

Jensen nods, taking another drink. “It grows on ya, that's for sure.” He smiles before setting it back in the cup holder. “Thank you.”

“No problem.” She smiles at him.

“So, should we get Jared breakfast?”

“Well, if we're stopping to get some, it's only fair.” Sydney shrugs, settling back into the passenger side of the bench seat.

The two fall silent for a few moments, country music playing softly in the background. Sydney turns her head and looks out the window as Jensen takes the back roads. “I hope McDonalds is okay for breakfast.”

“Webster has one of those?” Sydney asks, adjusting the beanie on the top of her head as she looks over at Jensen.

“No, but the next town is twenty minutes from our houses, so we're going there.”

“Need me to ask Jared what he wants?”

“He gets the same thing every time we get breakfast there, so I know what he wants.” Jensen smiles over at her before making a turn onto main street. “Welcome to Union County, Nevada.”

“Hot damn... This place is like the size of Foster.”

“Foster?”

“The city I am from.”

“Yeah, this is the biggest city for almost an hours drive.”

“Wow.” Sydney looks around, smiling when she sees some of the shops that she had in Foster. The silence is broken when she hears Jensen humming softly to the song playing on the radio.

“What?”

“Humming to Before He Cheats, huh?”

Jensen laughs, shaking his head before reaching up to turn the radio up. “Should be your theme song.” Sydney's heart stills, her face falls, and she sits back trying not to let her emotions ruin the moment. “Oh, Sydney, I'm sorry.” He says before shutting the radio off. “My mouth works before my mind does sometime.” He reaches over to place a warm hand on her forearm.

Sydney just nods, looking out the passenger side window with full intent of staying silent. She focuses on the feelings running through her body from Jensen's touch instead of thinking about what he said moments before. Jensen sighs softly, removing his hand, Sydney sighing at the loss of contact but that is all they say before pulling up to the drive thru window.

“What do you want?” Jensen asks softly, looking over at Sydney.

“I'm okay.” She says, her voice quiet, still not turning to look at him.

“You have to eat something.” He says to her before turning to order for him and Jared. “If you don't tell me, I'll be forced to order everything on the menu. There has to be something there you'll eat.”

Sydney giggles softly and looks over at Jensen. “Number four, with cheese and a large Dr. Pepper.”

Jensen smiles and turns to repeat the order. He pulls forward some to take his place in line. “I really am sorry for what I said earlier.”

“I know you are, Jensen. And it's okay.” She rolls her head to look over at him. “It just hits me harder at more times than others.” And with a shrug over her shoulders, she turns to look out the window once more.

Jensen reaches over and places his hand on her forearm as he steers up to the window, only removing his hand when he reaches out to take the food and drinks. Sydney grabs the thermos and holds it so Jensen can set the drinks in the cup holder. Sydney reaches for a drink, letting Jensen set the food in between them. He thanks the girl at the window before driving away and starting the drive back towards Sydney's home.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Sydney laughs, nearly falling over as Jared quickly switches off the power washer, leaving Jensen up on the ladder. “Food!”

“Really, dude?! Seriously!”

“Sorry, man. She has food.” Jared rushes back over to hold the ladder so Jensen can climb down.

Jensen just laughs as his feet it the ground, walking over to where Sydney is standing, out of the way of the water, holding sandwiches. “Yeah, I can see that.” He climbs the stairs and takes one of the sandwiches.

“I'll bring the lemonade and chips out here in a second.” Sydney says as she hands Jared his sandwich before turning to walk back into the house, grabbing the bowl of chips and the pitcher of lemonade. Balancing three cups in her arms, she heads outside.

“Whoa, we would have come to help!” Jensen exclaims, jumping up to take the pitcher of lemonade as Jared grabs the chips.

“And get the inside of my house all dirty? I think not.” Sydney smiles and sits between Jared and Jensen. She hands them both a glass before taking the pitcher from Jensen to fill their glasses.

“Aren't you going to eat?” Jared asks before popping a chip into his mouth.

“I already ate.”

“Without us?”

“I had a salad, so I figured the two of you wouldn't care.”

“I like salad.” Jensen says before taking a bite of his sandwich.

“He does.” Jared nods before sipping his lemonade. “He's a healthy eater.”

“I'll bring you a salad next time.” Sydney nods, smiling over at Jensen before turning to look at Jared once more. “And you, mister 'I'll eat anything' maybe I should just bake you a cake next time.”

“I do love cake.” Jared smiles and watches the dogs as they stand leashed up in the yard, watching the three in front of them. “Have you fed them yet?”

Sydney shakes her head. “Not yet. I wanted to wait until you two took a break. If their food gets wet, they won't eat it.” Setting her glass on the step in front of her, Sydney pushes herself up and walks back into the house. She comes back out a couple seconds later with three doggie bowls of food. “Stay sitting, guys. I can handle it.” She smiles seeing Jared and Jensen about to rise to help her.

Walking down the stairs between them, Sydney giggles as all of her dogs stand up and wag their tails. Harper barking happily. “Lunch time my babies.” She smiles, squatting down to place their bowls in front of them. They attack the bowls as if Sydney doesn't feed them regularly. “Enjoy.” She pats them all on the head before turning and walking back to the steps where she sits back down.

“I have more sandwiches in the house if you want them.” Sydney says, adjusting her sunglasses on her face.

“Well, I'll be back.” Jared smiles, heaving himself up and walking into the house.

“I thought you didn't want us to get the inside of your house dirty.” Jensen says, looking over at Sydney. “He's the one who has been standing in the mud.”

“Ugh, I forgot.” Turning to look into the house. “Jared! Don't get my floors dirty!”

“Um, too late?” Jared asks as he stops in the doorway to look behind him. “I'll clean it up.”

“No way! You have a house to power wash. I'll clean it up.”

“You sure?” Jared asks, moving to sit back down.

Sydney nods, “I've been bored, so this gives me something to do.”

“You could come help us.”

“How?” Jensen shrugs, finishing his lemonade. Sydney smiles and stands up once more, noticing her dogs have finished their food. “I'm going to clean up the kitchen, clean the floors, and then come out to help with whatever you need.” She says, coming to stand at the bottom of the stairs, looking at Jared and Jensen. “Sound good.”

“Good plan.” Jared smiles and stacks the glasses in the empty pitcher.

“I'll even make more lemonade.”

“Who taught you how to that?” Jared asks, standing up.

“My momma.” Sydney smiles and takes the pitcher from Jared, turning to take the half empty bowl of chips from Jensen.

“It was delicious!” Jared calls into the house after Sydney.

“Thanks!” Sydney giggles as she unloads the dirty dishes into the sink, dumping the chips back into the bag before clipping it shut. As she is closing the cabinet where she stores her chips, the sound of the power washer kicks on. Looking outside, she sees Jensen holding the bottom of the ladder, looking up at Jared.

Her phone rings as Sydney is setting her dog food bowls back in their spots. Straightening up, she looks over seeing the call is from her mom. Answering it, Sydney, goes to the staircase leading upstairs where some of the sound is blocked.

“Hey momma!”

“Please tell me I am at the right house.”

“Bright yellow?”

“Yes. And two gorgeous men with a power washer.”

Sydney squeals, hangs the phone up, runs through the living room, being sure to toss the phone to the couch before running outside and straight into her mother's arms. “Mommy!”

“Hey baby girl.” Her mother wraps her arms around her daughter. “I missed you baby, girl.”

“I missed you too, mommy.” Sydney pulls back and notices the sound of the power washer is off once again. Turning to smile over her shoulder at the guys, she waves them over. “Come here!” Her dogs bark and wag their tails, seeing their grandmother. Jared climbs off the ladder and walks with Jensen towards where Sydney and her mother are standing. When the two men are standing besides Sydney, she reaches out and places a hand on Jared's tanned bicep. “Momma, this is Jared Padalecki. He lives in the house across the field over there.” Sydney motions in the direction of his home before pulling her hand off his arm and walking over to put her hand on Jensen's tones back. “And this is Jensen Ackles. Jared's best friend, and my handyman. Guys, this is my mother, Kristy.”

“Your handyman, huh?” Jensen chuckles, looking down at Sydney.

“Um, yeah. You and Jared got this entire house power washed in like three hours.”

Jared smiles and extends his hand towards Sydney's mother. “It's nice to meet the woman who raised such a wonderful daughter.”

Kristy's eyes light up, taking Jared's hand in hers. “Thank you for that compliment.” She smiles and shakes his hand. “It's to put a face with the man Sydney's been telling me about for the past few days. A very handsome face at that.” Jared chuckles and drops his hand by his side once Kristy releases it.

“Thank you.”

“Oh, honey, it's not a problem.” She pats his side before turning to Jensen. “And you. The man she met in the hardware store.”

Jensen nods and takes Kristy's extended hand. “That would be me.”

“Thank you for helping her pick colors out. I was scheduled to come out yesterday, but it was canceled. Poor Sydney was freaking out when I called her the night before. She's not the best at making decisions when it comes to decorating a home.”

“Oh, it wasn't a problem. Sydney here must have talked to Jared because she was positive about what she wanted and how much she would need.”

“Yep. Blame Jared for that one, mommy.” Sydney nods, turning to look at Jared.

“Hey, you're the one who wanted to get all of this started before it starts raining.”

Sydney just shrugs before walking about her mother to grab her bags. Jared reaching out to take them from her. Jensen as extended his elbow to escort Kristy to the house. “Syd, I like these boys. They are the definition of southern hospitality.”

“Oh, trust me mommy, I know.”

“She told me on the ride to Union County this morning that she felt spoiled.”

“Well, I don't get the option opening any of my doors or pulling my chairs out whenever you pr Jared are around.”

“Sydney, do not complain. These two gentleman will be the highlight of your life.” Kristy says, stopping to pet the three dogs who have been patiently waiting to see her. “How are Nana's babies doing? Looks like your mommy has been taking very good care of you.” Harper barks and licks Kristy's hand in response. Jet and Chase following suit.

Jared smiles down at Sydney as the four of them head into the house. “I like your mom.”

“Thanks. She's pretty awesome.”

“So, have you talked to Jensen?”

“About?”

“The two of you obviously are into one another.”

“Jared, I just got divorced. I think I want to just be single and/or date around for a while. Settling down once again isn't very high up on my list.” Sydney says, climbing the stairs.

“Sydney, what the hell happened to the carpet?”

“Well, I was going to clean it, but you showed up and I got distracted.”

“It's not her fault. I walked in to get another sandwich.” Jared says, setting Kristy's bags down on the floor.

“He offered to clean it up, but since I claimed I was bored, I said I would do it.” Sydney smiles as she pours her mother a glass of cranberry juice.

“Well, it was very sweet of you to offer, Jared.” Kristy smiles and pats his cheek before sitting down on the couch. “So, daughter of mine, what are your plans?”

Walking over to hand the juice over, Sydney perches herself on the edge of the couch, facing her mother. “I don't know, really. These guys just have the deck to power wash, so while they did that, I was going to order Chinese.”

“Normally, I would scold you for not feeding them a home-cooked meal. But since I know you and your plans for grocery shopping tomorrow, I will let it slide.”

Jensen smiles and walks over to stand besides Sydney. She only knows this because of the goosebumps that form on her arms. Tilting her head up as his hand comes to rest between her shoulder blades. “Jared and I are going to go finish this deck up before it gets dark.” His hand gently squeezes and rubs in small circles as if giving a massage.

Sydney nods and smiles up at him. “Okay. I'll be ordering the take-out here in a few minutes.”

“You do know that you'll have to drive to pick it up right?”

“You're the one who told me Union Country delivered all the way out here.” Sydney pokes Jensen's thigh, smiling as she sees the creases surrounding his eyes deepen as his smile widens. “So don't even lie to me about having to get out. Let alone to drive to a town that I only passed through on way to McDonald's.”

Jensen chuckles and holds his hands up in defense. “I was just testing to make sure you were paying attention when I mentioned that.”

“I was unpacking my kitchen items. Not much multitasking talent needed there.”

“Do not doubt this one in her listening skills.” Kristy speaks up after watching her daughter and Jensen volley back and forth.

“Psychology was going to be my major before I withdrew from the University, momma.”

“You were going to go back for another degree?” Jared asks, sitting on the edge of the coffee table.

Sydney nods. “Yeah, I was. But everything with Kyle happened, so I just told the school that I would have to return at a different time.”

“Wow! That's awesome.” Jared smiles.

“Have you thought about online?” Jensen asks, sitting on the arm of the couch behind Sydney.

“Yeah. I've thought about it. But until I get this house furnished, school is on the back burner.”

“Have you thought about a job?” Kristy asks. “You can only live off your money from Kyle for a few months.”

“Those few months will allow me to get this house finished and get a job. So I'm not really worrying about it. Plus, Jared said I can work at the general store.”

Jared nods and stands up.“ She is more than welcome to come work there with me. I need someone to crunch numbers for me anyways.” He smiles and winks at Sydney before looking at Jensen. “Come on, Jensen. We've got work to finish.”

Turning to look up at Jensen, who is looking down at Sydney, she smiles softly. “You gotta be half way through with the deck before I order.”

Jensen chuckles and ruffles her hair before walking out of the house behind Jared. When the sound of the power washer turns on, Kristy turns to look over at her daughter. “What in the world is going on with the two of you?”

Sydney just rolls her eyes in response. “Nothing.” With that she stands up and digs for carpet cleaning supplies.

“Sydney Marie. You may be able to lie to those boys and yourself, but you will never be able to lie to me.” Kristy says before leaning back to drink her juice, falling silent.