Status: Updated every Friday

Southern Hospitality

Never Had Much Faith In Love

“Mom, what in the hell am I supposed to wear?” Sydney panics as she tosses yet another dress onto her bed, where all of the failures have started to pile up. “I'm running out of dresses.”

Kristy walks into her daughter's freshly decorated bedroom and smiles at her through the mirror. “What is the look you're going for?” Her hands run over Harper and Jet's fur from where they lay on at the foot of the bed, trying to keep from being buried in her daughter's mess.

“A look? I haven't even found a decent look! Help me?” Sydney emerges from the closet.

“Well, did you have anything in mind?” Kristy asks, going through the pile of discarded dresses.

“Well, something country girl, like... I feel like that is kind of girl Jensen would be into. A wholesome, small town, country girl.” Sydney shrugs, going back into her closet hoping to find the perfect dress.

“Sydney, have I taught you nothing?”

“Huh?”

“You know as well as I do that you are none of those things.”

“Yeah, point being?”

“Why are you trying to be like that then? Because you think it is what Jensen would like?”

Sydney nods and lets her arms fall in front of her, yet another floral patterned dress hanging in her hands. “Yeah.”

“He didn't ask you out because he wanted to be with a country girl. He asked you out on a date because he likes you. For who you are.” Kristy walks over to pat her daughter's cheek. “Remember that. In fact, he told Jared, who told me -”

“Dear lord, momma! You sound like a highschool girl.”

“Don't interrupt me child. It's rude.” Kristy takes the dress from Sydney's hand and tosses it to the pile with the other discards. “Now, as I was saying- Jensen told Jared that he likes this, new independent girl quality you have. The girls around here are your typical country girls who pretty much depend on that man for everything. He like that you try to do everything on your own.” Kristy walks into her daughter's closet. “Next question, dress or skirt?”

“Um, dress?” Sydney says, uncertainty clear in her voice.

“Color?”

“Mom, I don't freaking know! I'm too nervous.” Sydney says, running her hands over Chase's soft fur.

“Your date is in three hours. We have to get you presentable! So think, child, think!”

“Black?”

“Black is always a nice color. Do you know if it's formal or not?”

“He's taking me into Union County, so I'd assume mid-way fancy?”

“Like Hacienda or Olive Garden?”

“Olive Garden is fancy.”

“Not really, but we will go with that.” Kristy's voice comes before she steps out holding a dress. “What do you think?”

Sydney eyes the black dress in her mother's hands before shaking her head. “Too skanky.”

“How is it skanky? I bought this for your birthday.”

“It shows off too much on top.” Sydney says, motioning over her chest.

Kristy just rolls her eyes before walking back into the closet. “What movie?”

Sydney starts picking up some of the dresses that had fallen to the floor. “He didn't tell me. All he said what dinner and a movie. Oh, and that he's picking me up around 6. That is all of the information I know.”

“I have found the perfect dress.” Kristy responds a couple seconds later before walking out of the closet holding said dress. “So?”

Sydney walks over and runs her hands over the soft fabric before holding onto the bottom hem of the dress. Gently, she runs a finger over the beaded line just below the bust line. “You don't think this is too much?”

“It's not too flashy, but it will be enough to catch some attention. The waist line is perfect. Showing some, but not too much. And it will cover your ample chest while giving him something to think about after he drops you off.”

“Mom.” Sydney blushes but smiles down at the dress in her hands. “I love it.”

“So we have a winner!” Kristy exclaims, a wide smile on her face. “Now go shower while I work on getting you options for accessories out.”

“Nothing too flashy.” Sydney responds as he mother starts to push her towards her master bathroom. “And nothing slutty.” Sydney says once her mother has guided her into the bathroom.

“Okay! Nothing flashy or slutty. I've got it. Now get int the shower. I have to do your hair and makeup as well.”

“Mom, I think I can handle that.”

“You haven't on a date with any other guy besides Kyle. Let me help you!” Kristy says before shutting the door in her daughter's face before she can respond. “I'd like a simple thank you when all is said and done!”

“Thank you, mother!”

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Six o'clock sharp, there was a knock on the front door. Kristy, who was sitting in the living room, eagerly shot up from her position in front of the television to answer the door.

“Good evening, Kristy.” Jensen says, smiling at the older woman. “How are you tonight?”

“I am doing fantastic. Come on in.” Kristy steps aside and lets Jensen walk into the house before shutting the door behind him. “Sydney is almost ready, so have a seat.” She offers, walking with him into the living room where they sit on the couch. “Now, how are you doing tonight?” She asks, looking over at Jensen.

“I am doing really well.”

“Really? Because you look nervous.” Kristy says with a soft, motherly smile.

“Well, that would be because I am a bit nervous. I haven't been on a date in quite some time.”

“Oh really now? I find it hard to believe that a young, handsome, healthy man like yourself hasn't been on a date in 'quite some time'.”

“Mother, leave the poor guy alone, please?” Sydney's voice comes from where she is standing in the hall that will lead to the kitchen. “Hey, Jensen.”

Instantly, Jensen is out of his seat and turning to face Sydney. “Hey, Sydney.” He smiles as he takes in her appearance. “Wow, you look gorgeous.”

“Thanks. My mom helped me pick it out.” Her hands run down the from of the dress, smoothing out unseen wrinkles. “It's not too much is it?”

“No, it's perfect.” He smiles and steps forward, offering her the bouquet of flowers he brought with him. “For you.”

Sydney smiles widely and accepts the flowers, pulling them to her face to take a whiff. “Thank you, Jensen.” She steps close to him, wrapping her free arm around his neck. “I'm going to put these in water, so give me just a second.” She says, pulling away from him but leaving her hand on his forearm, squeezing gently before releasing him and heading into the kitchen. After putting the flowers into a vase with water, Sydney walks out and leaves the vase in the center of the coffee table. “They're perfect.” She offers Jensen a smile before hugging her mother. “I'll be back later.”

“I won't have her out too late, Kristy.” Jensen says, placing his hand on the small of Sydney's back.

“Neither of you are high school students anymore. You are more than welcome to stay out as long as you'd like. I know that I will not be waiting up.” Kristy smiles and walks over the open the front door for her daughter.

Jensen chuckles while Sydney lets out a soft giggle, focusing solely on the fact that Jensen once again has his hand resting on her. She lets him guide her out the front door and down the stairs, the sound of the front door closing causing her to look over at him. “I feel like my heels are too high.” She blurts out honestly before blushing deeply and looking down at the ground.

“Now, you make me feel short.” Jensen jokes, but it goes unnoticed by Sydney who instantly tries to fix what she's said.

“I have flats I can run in and get if you'd rather me be in those than heels!” Sydney starts to panic, looking up at Jensen.

“No, no!” He says, cupping her face in his calloused, but super soft skin. “You look perfect.” He smiles, letting them bask in this moment of closeness before stepping back and opening the passenger side door for her. “Now, let's get this date started.” He takes her hand and helps her into the seat.

“That sounds like a great plan.” She smiles, watching him walk around the front of the truck and climbing behind the wheel. “So, what is first? Movie or dinner?”

“Dinner. And I hope you like Mexican.”

“Jensen, that is my favorite type of food. Besides Chinese of course.” Sydney smiles over at him as she starts the drive into Union County. The ride is silent, both of them listening to the soft sounds of country music flowing from the car speakers. Sydney watches as the sun sets, her hands twirling some of the bracelets she has on her wrists.

“The sunsets out here are always this gorgeous.” Jensen says softly as they arrive in Union County, not wanting to break the silence that has filled the cab of his truck.

“All these gorgeous pinks, yellows, and oranges?” Sydney asks, tearing her eyes away from the sky to look into Jensen's green eyes.

He nods and smiles, pulling into Caliente Especia. “It's called Hot Spice. Despite the corny name, this is a small, out of the way place. It is probably one of the better Mexican joints I have been to in my whole life.”

“Really? Well then, I say we get inside. I've been craving tortilla chips like it's no one's business.” Sydney giggles as she slides from the passenger seat once Jensen shuts the truck off.

Jensen is quickly out of the truck and over to take Sydney's hand. Together they walk into the packed restaurant. After giving his last name to the host, Jensen places his hand on Sydney's lower back, guiding her through all of the tables and townspeople. Jensen pulls a chair out for Sydney and getting her situated before sliding in a seat himself. The two of them order drinks and get comfortable before looking up and smiling at one another.

“I'm glad you planned all this.” Sydney admits, crossing her legs under the table.

“Much better than watching paint dry, huh?” Jensen chuckles, crossing his arms on the table.

“So much better.” Sydney smiles, popping a chip into mouth. “These are so much better than Hacienda.”

“Hacienda?” Jensen asks, raising an eyebrow.

Sydney's eyes widen. “Oh my God, you've never been?”

“I have never heard of, so of course I have never been.”

“Oh my God. If you ever come to Foster, we are going there for dinner one night.”

“What is so special about it?”

“Nothing really. It's just a Mexican-American restaurant. But it's hella good.” Sydney nods as she takes a sip of her Dr. Pepper. “The best chimichangas I have ever had.”

Jensen chuckles and reaches over the table to wipe a stray piece of chip from the corner of Sydney's lips before pulling back. “Well then, I'll be sure to try one of those when we get to Foster.” He smiles before turning to the waiter.

The pair quickly give their orders before turning back to one another. Sydney smiles and falls into her own thoughts of how perfect Jensen is. His ash-blonde hair. Those gorgeously green hazel eyes. The freckles that are scattered around his nose and cheekbones. That perfect gentlemanly quality to him that just makes Sydney's heart beat harder, feeling like it could burst from her chest any second now. After she feels she has been staring, Sydney runs her fingers through her hair before looking down at her hands in her lap. She looks up when she sees Jensen's hand reach toward her over the table top.

“Are you okay?” Jensen's voice comes out soft, not wanting to startle the young woman in front of him.

“Yeah, I'm fine.” Sydney says with a smile before placing her hand in Jensen's letting him pull them back to the center of the table. “I was just debating on whether I should ask you the question I want to ask.”

“What is it?” Curiosity laced in his voice.

“Ex-wives aren't good date talk.”

“Well, this may be our first date, but I know your history, so it's time you learn mine.” Jensen says, shifting forward in his chair. “Her name is Danneel. We met a couple of months after I graduated high school. I had planned on going to college so I met her on campus when all the freshman were moving into the dorms.” He pauses slightly to take a quick sip of his beer before continuing. “I was going for becoming an architect and she was there for graphic design. We kinda hit it off, but didn't get serious until junior year. We married got married when we were twenty-one and were married for nearly six years before she disappeared. And I don't mean like off the the face of the earth, she just up and left in the middle of the night.” Jensen pauses before leaning back of their entrees come out. Sydney and Jensen smile and thank the waiter before turning to their food.

As they wait for the plates to cool some, Jensen continues. “I found out from her family that she had gone to New York City. So, after saving enough money to go spend a week looking for her, I was on a plane going to search for her. When I finally did find her, a handful of attempts, after weeks at a time, about five months after she left, I found her with another man. Needless to say, I filed for divorce and left New York two months later a single man.” Jensen finishes as he starts eating.

Sydney sits there quietly, eating as well, trying to take it all in. The two of them were both cheated on. Both moved to Webster in hopes of a new beginning. They are both still healing from a divorce that changed their worlds entirely. It is about half way through the meal, and at the bottom of a tortilla chip filled basket, before Sydney finally finds something to say.

“I'm sorry to hear about her leaving you like that. I would have murdered Kyle if he ever did anything like that to me.” Sydney says, taking a sip of her Dr. Pepper. “But, something I have said to myself since the start of all this, everything happens for a reason.”

“And I believe that. I had to go through all of that in order to be sitting here, on a date with a wonderful young woman.” Jensen smiles and takes Sydney's hand in his.

Squeezing his hand gently, Sydney smiles back. “And I had to fight in order to be sitting in front of a handsome, southern gentleman.”

Jensen chuckles before setting his napkin on the table. “Well, all of this talk has led me to being stuffed. How about you?”

“I feel like I ate an entire cow or something.” Sydney giggles, pushing her plate to the middle of the table.

“So, how about we get the check and head to the movie?”

“Sounds like a plan.” Sydney smiles, noticing that Jensen is still yet to let go of her hand.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

In fact, Jensen never let go of Sydney's hand. Not until he was dropping her off on her front porch. After helping her out of his truck, Jensen wrapped his hand around hers once more, chuckling as she makes an off the wall comment around the stars in the sky. They fall silent, climbing the steps then standing in front of her door.

“I feel like I am in high school again.”

“Dating new to you, too?” Jensen smiles, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand.

“In a sense, yes.” Sydney smiles back. “But, I had a great time.”

“We'll have to do it again. What about next Saturday? I close at the store Friday night.”

“Saturday night sound good.”

“We'll do something a little more fun.”

“Jensen, tonight was a blast. Going to see such a crappy movie that everyone in the theater was trash talking it, I have to say that was hilarious.”

“The trailer looked so good!” Jensen defends himself.

“And I agreed with you, so don't feel back in the slightest!” Sydney's voice raising a level that causes the dogs to come to the window hearing their mother's voice.

Jensen chuckles and finally lets go of Sydney's hand so she can dig through her clutch to find her keys. Once the jingle of the metal sounds, Jensen places his hand on the small of Sydney's back getting her to turn and look at her. He smiles softly before placing a hand on her cheek, their eyes fluttering shut before placing his lips against hers.

The kiss awakened something in Sydney she'd buried since the divorce. It awakened a need for compassion, companionship, the feeling of having someone to lean on if it was needed. She felt all of this with Jensen before the kiss, but the second his lips touched hers and she kissed him back, she knew that she was going to need it for the rest of her life.

One of her arms wraps around Jensen's neck while the hand with the keys moves to grip the side of his sports coat. The hand that wasn't curled in Sydney's long red hair was wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer. They stood there, kissing on her front porch for a few minutes before slowly breaking apart. Jensen smiles down at Sydney as he loosens his hold on Sydney to take a step back. Sydney smiles and moves her hand to his cheek, caressing the freckled skin there.

“So, I guess that kiss means I don't have to ask if the two of you had a nice night.” Kristy's voice sounds from the screened door.