Status: Updated every Friday

Southern Hospitality

You're My Sweetheart

Walking into the general store three weeks after her first date with Jensen, Sydney smiles as country music plays softly from a small radio in the corner of the store. Katie, the young college girl standing at the register, putting out some new inventory looks up and waves.

“Hey Sydney.” She flashes a smile before running her fingers through her bleach blonde hair. “Are you here to see Jared?”

Sydney adjusts her purse and nods. “Yeah, I am. Is he in the back?”

“As usual. You can go on back.” Katie motions towards the back of the store where Jared's office is located.

“Thanks.” Sydney smiles softly before walking to the back office. There she sees Jared sitting behind his desk, books spread out in front of him, Sydney walks over and sits down in front of Jared, dropping her purse into the chair besides her.

Jared looks up and smiles. “Hey, Sydney!” He turns to his books, placing some cards to mark his place before shutting them. “How are you?”

“Tired. I was up late last night after my date with Jensen.”

A smile fills Jared's face. “I was about to ask you how that went. He was so nervous.”

“Really?” Sydney asks, not believing it as she recalls how calm and collected Jensen appeared. “If he was, he didn't show it one bit.”

“Yeah. He and I were on the phone the entire time he was getting ready.”

“The two of you sound like two teenage girls.”

“Shut it.” Jared chuckles and leans back in his chair, his puppy dog eyes turning to focus on Sydney. “So, how did it go?”

“Amazing.” Sydney tries to hide the pleased smile that forms on her lips before ducking down and looking at her hands in her laps. “Still somewhat awkward, but it turned out to be a really great night.” Sydney feels her face heat up as she remembers the kiss she and Jensen shared after she agreed to be his girlfriend. “I think we're getting past the weird start of the relationship phase.”

“Okay, you're hiding something from me. What happened?”

“Wait, Jensen didn't tell you?”

“No, he did, but he wanted me to pry to see how your side of the night went.”

Sydney giggles and sits back in the chair and looks up at Jared. “Well, you are more than welcome to tell him that I had a great night and enjoyed the entire night. Especially the fifteen minutes my mother spent teasing me after I got in.”

“What did your mom have to tease you about?” Jared asks, his eyes full of fake innocence.

Sydney just shoots him a knowing look before rolling her eyes when she realizes that Jared will just continue to play as if he doesn't know what happened. “We shared a nice, end of the night kiss after he asked me to be his girlfriend.” She pauses and chuckles as Jared leans forward as if prompting her to say more. “And I said yes without any doubt in my mind.” Sydney says before running her fingers through her hair. “Now, I know you didn't wake me up this morning to come in and talk about my date last night, which you already knew all of the details about.”

“You're so right. I do know all of the details. Jensen's side of the night. But now that I know you had a nice time, I'm satisfied.” His teasing smile widens as he reaches for an official looking, green folder. “I need help looking over the money log and the inventory.”

“Well, I can handle the money log, but it'll take me a couple hours to look over the two prior months and what you have for this month to see if there are-”

“I know, Sydney. I have hard copies of the pages in case I need them, but in here are typed up versions and some of my notes. So no worries. Take your time and work your magic.” Jared hands her the notebook and a binder as well. “If you want, come back tomorrow and I will have paper work for you.”

“Paperwork?” Sydney asks with a raised eyebrow, clearly confused.

“You're looking for a job aren't you?” He responds then chuckles at Sydney's subtle tilt of the head to define the confusion. “Jensen told me the two of you were tossing ideas back and forth about where you should, or could, apply.”

“Geez, makes me wonder what else he told you.”

“Sorry, sworn to best friend secrecy.”

“But, I have the feeling you will run and tell him everything I said.” Sydney says with a teasing smile as she stands up.

“Oh, of course.” Jared just smiles and stands up as well. “It's what I do.”

“I understand. I used to be a teenage girl as well.” Sydney laughs as Jared strikes a couple of girly poses before they walk out of the back office side by side.

“But in all seriousness, you're more than welcome to start here this weekend. Lord knows I will need the help keeping the business side of the store in order.”

“Well, you are in luck because not only am I in need of a job, but I also happen to have fantastic organizational skills and a minor in business management.”

Jared's jaw drops. “Organization, I knew but geez! You're an accountant and you can manage a business, I hit the jackpot.”

“You did?” A smooth voice sounds from behind Jared and Sydney.

Turning, the friends see Jensen standing behind them, a basket full of basic food and other household supplies in hand. Sydney smiles widely and walks over to hug Jensen, allowing him to give her a quick kiss on the lips. “I wasn't expecting to see you so soon.”

“Well, that was nice a way to say hello.” Jared teases from where he stands, creating a triangle between the three friends.

Sydney smiles warmly at Jensen. “Good morning, Jensen.”

The hazel eyed man chuckles and kisses Sydney's temple. “Morning, sweetheart.” Sydney's heart still thumps whenever she hears Jensen's voice sound out her new pet-name that he gave her a couple of nights ago. Jensen uses his free hand to give a fist bump to Jared. “So, what did you get?”

“She enjoyed the date, as usual and is glad that y'all are past the awkward relationship stage and are finally an official couple.” Jared says with a proud smile. “Oh, and she agreed to be your girlfriend without a doubt.” He give a short nod to say that was all of the information he had gathered.

Sydney blushes brightly and holds the notebook to her chest, and looks down at her feet. Jensen chuckles and slides an arm around her waist, rubbing slow circles with his thumb on the small of her back. “Exactly what I said verbatim.”

“I'm glad to know my feeling are reciprocated.” Jensen smiles down at his girlfriend before looking up at Jared. “Now, what is it the two of you were talking about?”

“I asked her to become a business partner.” Jared answers as the three continue to talk around the store, Jensen picking up a few more odds and ends.

“Well, not really. Just asked me to be the business side of the job. Mostly just double checking numbers and all of that nonsense.” Sydney shrugs, shifting her bag higher on her shoulder.

“Don't forget about organization.” Jared tosses in as he hands Jensen a jar of pickles.

“And that leaves you doing what, Jared?” Jensen asks, looking over at his best friend.

“The usual side of the business. Inventory, making sure the merchandise gets out when it should, and payroll.”

Jensen chuckles and nods as he gets in line behind an elderly couple as they pay Katie for their small amount of items. “You gets the brawn side of the work while Sydney gets the brain side.”

“Exactly!” Sydney and Jared exclaim in unison before bursting into laughter.

“You two are so weird.” Jensen chuckles as he sets his basket up on the counter. “Good morning, Katie.”

Katie smiles as she starts to ring the items in Jensen's basket, tucking them into bags. “Morning, Jensen. Did you find everything okay?”

“I did. Now, I have to say, it was hard to concentrate with these two causing a ruckus.”

“Who is causing a ruckus in my store?” Jared asks as he comes around to leans against the side of Katie's register.”

“Well, you and your new manager.” Jensen shrugs.

“Sorry Sydney, but I am going to have to ask you to leave. If you are going to be walking around and disturbing my customers, you should leave now before the mean manager comes in.”

“Your mother is the mean manager?” Sydney asks, looking up at Jared. “That wasn't in the introduction packet.”

“You're acting like Momma Sherry is evil.” Katie chimes in as she hands Jensen back his change and receipt.

Sydney smiles. “I was just kidding. Sherry feeds me, so I love her.”

“The two of you are evil.” Jensen says as he grabs his bags and steps out of the line so the next customer can check out.

Sydney follows him over to stand besides Jared. “Yeah, we know.”

“So, what are the two of you going to do?” Jared asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

“I am going to go sit somewhere with a coffee and look over this mess of paperwork.” Sydney says, waving the green folder in front of Jared's face.

“Oh yeah!” Jared chuckles as he swats at the folder to get it away from his face. “And what about you Lover-Boy?”

“Food to put away and some laundry to finish.” He turns to Sydney. “Then I was hoping that you and I could get dinner or something.”

“Dinner at my place? I have food and working appliances now.”

“Sounds good. I'll bring some wine.” Jensen smiles.

“I'll be sure to make something with pasta to go with said wine.”

“If you two keep flirting like that, I might barf.”

“Hey, when are you going out with that chick you were telling me about the other day? What was her name... Lacey...?”

“She and I are going out again tonight. And yes, her name is Lacey.” Jared smiles at the mention of the female.

“When do we get to meet her?”

“This weekend on a double date?” Jared offers.

Jensen looks at Sydney who nods, before turning to look back at his best friend. “Sounds like a plan.”

“We'll set something up and I'll let you know when and where.” Jared smiles before looking up as a man who fills the coolers walks in. “I've gotta get back to work. Sydney, want to come back tomorrow around open?”

“Yes, boss.” Sydney smiles before waving and walking out with Jensen.

“See ya, man.” Jensen waves as he holds the door open for Sydney.

“See ya!” They hear Jared call out before the door closes.

“So, where do you plan on going to look all of that over?”

“If it wasn't so windy, I would go sit in the park or something. But since it is windy, I'll probably just brew a pot of coffee and sit in my kitchen while the dogs relax.”

“Have they been running around?” Jensen asks, setting the grocery bags into the cab of his truck before turning to face Sydney.

“Yeah. I look them exploring this morning down by the lake and they all insisted on diving in and swimming for a bit. I'll have to give them all baths then pin them in on the deck to dry before letting them into the house.”

“Well, I can come over once laundry is done and help you out if you’d like. Washing the dogs that is.” He motions to the paperwork in her hand. “All of that is just one big headache waiting to happen.”

“Hence the pot of coffee.” Sydney walks over and leans against Jensen’s truck as he loads everything into the bed. “But that would be fine. Chase misses his new favorite person.”

“Love that little guy!” Jensen smiles widely as he leans besides Sydney, his arm resting around her shoulders and he leans in towards her. Smiling softly, Sydney shifts and meets him half way, letting their lips connect.

After holding the kiss for a few more long seconds, Jensen pulls away and walks Sydney to her car, opening the door for her. “So I’ll see you in a couple of hours?”

Sydney leans in to put the stores logs into her car before straightening out and nodding. “Sound good to me, babe.” She leans in and gives him one more quick kiss. “Bring that wine and we can just cook together.”

“Sound like a plan.” He smiles and shuts the door once Sydney slides behind the wheel. “Drive safe, sweetheart.”

“Will do.” She offers him a sweet smile and blows a kiss before she starts the vehicles and pulls away from the general store, headed towards her home.