Waiting

All a dream

Sitting on a rock, I doodled on the ground with a stick. Benji was out finding berries or something in the woods, and Charlie was resting. He had taken sentry all night and needed his sleep. Last night, though, I should have slept. But thinking of how much of a risk it was by escaping, it left me on edge. Inside my mind was screaming, " Well, it's not a risk anymore, is it?" but my body couldn't shake off that feeling of being trapped, with no escape.
I ran the stick once more on the dirt before throwing it off the cliff that was in front of me. "I should be doing something!" I said to myself, getting myself up tiredly and looking for something to do. what do we need? I thought. what is important that I'm not thinking of? And then it hit me: A backpack.
While I walked around the woods, looking for backpack materials, I found an old potato sack that looked strong enough to hold some things. I smiled and grabbed a stick, then tied the sack to make it into a somewhat bag. When I sat down again, I was exhausted from running around but i felt triumphant for helping the three of us out somehow.
"Rosaline?" Benjis ten-year-old innocent voice got my attention.
"Yeah?" I asked, rubbing my eyes to stay awake.
"I found some berries for us to eat."
I smiled. "Thank you! That'll really help us out." He looked over my shoulder.
"What's that?" He asked.
"A backpack I made while you were gone." I said, picking it up.
"Great!" He said. " We should probably find something to store the berries in." I nodded and we looked around for hollow logs or something to safely hold the berries in. "How about this?" He found a empty log on the ground.
"It'll work!" I said cheerily. The log itself was only the size of a fist, oddly small. But it worked, and thats what mattered. There was only one hole, so the berries wouldn't fall out. Perfect.
"Should we wake Charlie and get going?" He asked, already back to his quiet self.
"Sure." I said. "But first: We need to get everything out of ourselves."
He looked confused. "...How?" He asked,probably thinking I went crazy.
"C'mon. Just let it out!" I said, and I ran into the woods, just laughing and smiling and doing whatever. I twirled, I danced, I skipped, I even ran around a tree. Soon, Benji joined in, doing what guys would do: Kicking things around and throwing rocks everywhere. He laughed like me, but didn't do the things I did. I danced until I was so exhausted that I just plopped onto the dry grass, staring at the sky. Benji sat next to me, staring at the same sky. I giggled like a little girl, but I didn't care. I was happy.
I heared a twig snap from behind me, and instantly my posture straightened, and I was on guard. Looking behind me, I realized it was only Charlie. He was smiling, leaning against a tree. I blushed without thinking, automatically knowing he had just watched me dance around like an idiot in the middle of the woods with his little brother. "Having fun?" He asked. I laughed, and stood, helping Benji up.
"I made a backpack." I said, as if that was our topic at the moment. "And Benji found us food."
"Nice job, team." He said cornily. "While I was sleeping, you two were having a secret relationship! I should've known!"
"It's not what it looks like!" I teased, putting my hands up.
" We were letting our emotions take over." Benji said smartly.
We laughed, and that was the time when Charlie came over, squeezed my hand, and said that we had to go. Now.