Status: Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing!!!!!!!!!!!

Something in the Way

One

Lucinda walked out of the bar she had just been waitressing at. She paused for a second to zip up her jacket, feeling the cool air from the ocean. There were two paths ahead of her, both leading to her apartment building. The first being the long way through the busy street, the second leading through an alleyway behind some rundown apartments. She easily chose the second path, keeping a tight grip on her purse. Her heels made a click every time she took a step on the gravely pavement. She could see the grey building coming into sight and smiled to herself, knowing that she was almost home.

“What do we have here?” A deep voice came from the shadows behind the dumpster.

She sped up to try to get away but was quickly stopped by the hands that belonged to the deep voiced man. He gripped tight onto her shoulders and pulled her back, shoving her roughly into the brick wall behind her. Lucinda tried to scream but was foiled in her plan by the left hand of the man covering her mouth.

“Give me the purse.” He growled.

She loosened up the grip on her purse and quickly tightened it again. This time the man slightly came into view.

“Give me the purse” He repeated, “or I’ll have to hurt you.”

He smiled his white teeth, shining underneath the streetlight that wasn’t too far from them. A silver ring was in his right bottom lip, and his eyes were shielded by the dark that the street light couldn’t reach his six foot height. Lucinda finally gave in, fearing what would happen if she didn’t comply to his orders.

“Good girl.” He chuckled, snatching the purse and running away down the other end of the alleyway.

Lucinda quickly went to follow but tripped on some of the nearby trash. On both of her forearms and knees, there were now cuts from the pavement bellow her. She hissed in paint and pushed herself off the ground.

“Fuck.” She breathed out when she realized that the man who stole her purse now had her identity and credit cards, not to mention the $240 dollars in tips she had earned tonight.

Lucinda sighed and walked the rest of the way to her apartment, not caring if someone tried to jump her again. She walked inside the building and quickly pulled off her shoes and carried them as she walked up two flights of stairs to her apartment. Thank god she had left her apartment keys in her pocket, otherwise she would have had to sleep outside her apartment until the morning when she could get the spare key from her landlord. She locked the door behind her once she had gotten inside and carelessly tossed her heels onto the nearest couch, along with her keys. Lucinda plopped down onto her bed, writing a reminder on a piece of paper so she would remember to cancel all of her cards in the morning. She sighed and rolled over deciding that it was probably best just to fall asleep right now.