Status: New Story, I'll update whenever I get around to it.

Just Friends

One.

“Would you stop taking pictures of me?” Alex asked, his mouth full of ice cream. He tried to hide the smile that was contorted on his lips, but to no avail. I had gotten about 30 pictures of him with a smile, which, I might add, is a very rare occurrence - to get a picture of Alex smiling, that is. He hated his smile, saying that it showed off his crooked front tooth, which everyone else thought was fine. I personally thought the crooked tooth gave him character, and was a part of his whole personality. Like, if not for the crooked tooth, he’d be a whole different person altogether.

“Nope,” I said. “You’re naturally photogenic. All pictures of you are very valuable. I could use them for my portfolio when I become a professional photographer. After my internship, that is.”

Alex gave me a look across the table, shaking his head disapprovingly.

“What?” I asked.

“Why are you so sure of yourself? How, more like. I mean, for God’s sake, Jasey, you’re 17. You don’t have to know what you’re going to do when you get older. Hell, you could be an actress, or a... record producer - anything. Don’t put yourself in a box,” he chided.

I, having no idea he could be this inspirational, felt my eyebrows raise in surprise. “And where exactly did that come from?” I asked. “I had no idea you could be so...” I trailed off, suffering from a severe lack of words to describe how he just acted.

He shrugged, taking the last bite of his ice cream. “Well,” he started, “I was just saying. It’s true, though. You shouldn’t put yourself in a box. When, or if, you go to college, you can change your major a million different times, and that’s okay. I just want you to realize that before it’s too late. I care about you, Jasey. I was just trying to help you.”

“I know you were,” I quickly responded. “But... who knows - maybe we won’t even be friends by the time I hit college.” This made us both get quiet instantly. Just the mere thought terrified me. I couldn’t lose Alex, no matter what.

“I will do everything in my power to make sure that never happens,” he finally spoke. I felt myself smile a little, and I cleared my throat - the knife that cuts the awkward air.

“So,” I started, “what else do you want to do on this fine Saturday morning?”

He thought for a minute before responding, “Mall.”

♦ ♦ ♦

Fake giggle, flip the hair, smile - the three things girls never cease to do around Alex. Whores. All they want is to get in his pants, do him, then go blab to all their friends saying that they did. Please, whores, go away. He’s not interested in being your baby daddy, so go find someone else.

Honestly, not even in Aéropostale, can they leave Alex alone. Well, I’ve got to give him props. If I were in his position, I wouldn’t be able to keep my cool like he could. I would explode, have an emotional breakdown, and punch everyone that came within 10 feet from me.

I try my best to stifle the laugh that was caused by the picture of Alex going Ninja on everyone of those girls crowding around him, but failed. I burst out laughing, and quickly slapped a hand over my mouth. A few of the girls gave me odd looks. I continued looking through the rack of various shirts and sweatpants. I heard Alex laugh - not genuinely - and a few moments later, the girls left, some handing out their numbers, all of which would end up in the trash.

Alex made his way over to me, rolling his eyes and disposing of the phone numbers. “Hey,” he greeted..

“Hey, stranger.”

He rolled his eyes. After a moment, he spoke.

“Damn,” he said. “Do you know how hard it is being me?”

“Cocky much?” I asked. “But, I understand. I just thought about how hard it would be to keep your cool. I could imagine you punching anyone who got near you, screaming. It’s actually what I was laughing about a little bit ago.”

“Nice,” he chuckled. “Sometimes I do wish people would leave me alone, but then I think of how amazing I am, and that if people left me alone, I wouldn’t be getting the credit I deserve for it.”

I roll my eyes at his conceited ways. Everyone might think he’s just joking, trying to get a good laugh out of someone, but he’s serious. He really does think he’s amazing, and that he’s just as irresistible to every person that is of the female gender, as Edward is to Bella. Which isn’t true at all, no matter how many girls throw themselves at him. He’s not irresistible; They’re just desperate.

We made our way out of Aéropostale, and to the fairly packed food court. We didn’t bother waiting for half an hour in the long food lines, instead just finding a table for two. Which honestly wasn’t easy - at all.

“Prom is coming up,” Alex said, playing with the information brochure that sat in the middle of the table, with small headlines of upcoming events being held around town, or special events at the Community Center.

“I know,” I replied. “You going?”

“Well,” he said, the expression on his face telling me he was seriously considering this, “I mean. I’d need to get a date, but I’m not really sure yet.”

I gave him a look. “Alex, trust me, you will have no problem getting a date to Prom.”

He shrugged. “Are you going?”

I grimaced, shaking my head. “Prom isn’t for me. Too... spectacular. Plus, what’s the point of going if I won’t even have a date?”

“You might get a date,” Alex said quickly. Always the optimist. “You never know, some guy might ask you.”

“No, they won’t. Every guy except you, and the other three completely ignore and choose not to acknowledge me in the least. I don’t exist to them. I mean, I do, because they’re always... y’know, making fun of me and whatnot, but nonetheless - they won’t ask me to prom. No one will.”

He stayed quiet, biting his bottom lip, and I knew that he wanted to say something. he probably only hold it back because he knew it would be hurtful.

“Jasey!” I heard a familiar someone yell someways behind me. I turn around in my seat to see Jack, running towards us with Zack and Rian trailing behind him. Rian, of course, had his arm around Kara’s shoulders - when wasn’t he showing affection towards her?

Jack pulled a chair from an empty table near us, and slid it over next to Alex and I. His dorky grin was plastered on his face, and his eyes shone, something they did whenever he was extremely happy.

“Hey Jack,” I said. “How-”

“I have important news,” he announced. Alex and I waited intently for the news to be announced, and when he didn’t, I pushed him to continue.

“Okay,” I said, “then tell us.”

“I actually have no news,” he admitted. “But I feel very loved right now from all the attention I’m getting from you two lovebirds.”

Alex, who must’ve taken a drink from the water bottle he was carrying around, choked, spitting some of the water out onto the table. He continued to cough, and I soaked the water up with a napkin from the dispenser.

“We,” Alex said once he stopped coughing, motioning between the two of us, “aren’t a couple, Jack. You know that.”

“I know, but your reaction, just like I knew it would be, was priceless.”

Zack, Rian, and Kara finally pulled seats around us, ready to rejoin Jack’s naturally-hyper personality.

“Hey guys,” Zack greeted nonchalantly.

Rian and Kara were in their own in-depth conversation about who was cuter, and I, for one, wasn’t interested in it in the least. I sighed, leaning back the apocryphal-metal chair. I began biting my nails, something I always did whenever I was thinking hard about something. In this case; Prom.

I was thinking too hard, obviously, as Alex had to snap a few times before I came back to the prison that is reality.

“Hm?” I asked.

“You okay?” he inquired. I quickly said I was fine, dismissing the subject. But, knowing Alex, he’d get it out of me sooner, or later. Preferably, I’d want it to be later. Much, much later. Like, next-year later. No time soon. I silently prayed that he would forget about it. Because, when he asked, and I lied, he’d know. He has always been able to tell whether I was lying or not. For me - it was a curse. For him - it was gift from God. But, it just depends on the perspective.

♦ ♦ ♦

I closed my eyes, letting the cold midnight air soothe my burning cheeks. I don’t know why, exactly, but just thinking about Alex bringing up Prom made me angry. I didn’t tell him this, of course, even thought we were completely alone, sitting on swings at the park.

“What were you thinking about earlier today? At the mall?” He asked. I knew it.

I said nothing, which I found was a better response than anything that would have fell out of my mouth. Silence was better than lying to him.

“Jasey,” he demanded. He was getting frustrated - I could tell by the tone of his voice. Sharp, edgy, with a hint of anger.

“I was thinking about Prom,” I admitted. I knew I made him feel guilty, as he was the one who originally brought it up. “Don’t feel bad - it’s my fault. It’s not like you made every guy in school hate me... I did.”

“Jasey, you did nothing,” he defended quickly. I looked up from the ground, and into his dark brown eyes. His expression was hard, unreadable. I knew that he would demand I look at him anyways, so I didn’t move. “You’re beautiful, funny, and smart, and they have no reason to hate you. You didn’t do it, Jasey. They’re all just douche-bags.”

“... I’m beautiful?” I asked, heat rushing to my face.

“Yes,” he replied. His eyes staring directly into mine, and I knew he meant it.

Before I knew it, he started leaning closer to me, and I did nothing to stop him. He pressed his lips against mine softly, and I pressed right back. I knew my mind was cloudy, otherwise I wouldn’t have let him kiss me like he was now. This was stupid, and would lead to nothing but drama, and bad news, So, I pulled away. Stopping anything before it even started.

I turned away from him, facing the ground. “Why’d you do that?” I asked after a few awkward moments of silence.

He didn’t answer, so I asked again, but this time, much more demanding.

“I don’t know...” he answered. “The moment felt right, I guess.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this is majorly cheesy, and kind of rom-com cliche, but I'm hoping you think differently...

Anyways, thank you for 7 subscribers, 24 readers, and 2 comments. It's not much, but, hey, it's really not that bad considering I only have one previous chapter.

Excuse me if there are any mistakes, I was too lazy to run this through spell check.