‹ Prequel: Mutiny Below

Back 2 Good

San Diego

Jayce

I woke up to my phone ringing constantly. I had tried to ignore it originally, but it was no use. Whoever was calling was obviously a persistent ass. I snorted as I finally reached my phone and saw the name that flashed across the screen.

I answered and yawned. “Good morning, Halvo.” I was still slightly shocked at how well Eric had taken the news of Nick and I. I hadn’t expected to hear from anyone in Arizona once I left, but Eric was in fact persistent.

You’re only just waking up? Isn’t it like one in the afternoon in San Diego?

“Actually, it’s just seven and today was supposed to be my day off. Hence why I was sleeping in.” I scowled though no one could see it.

Yeah, well, I have important news!

I rolled my eyes. “And what would that be doll?” I yawned again as I shuffled my feet toward the kitchen of the small apartment I now shared with a 5 foot tall, platinum blond girl who reminded me too much of Gemma sometimes.

Well, you know how Nick’s birthday is coming up like next week?

What shocked me even more was the fact that Eric wasn’t just taking things well, but he was rooting for a Nick and Jayce relationship. It was strange, but I was grateful for him. “Yeah; Nat and I have been going back and forth on what to send him.”

I have the best, most perfect, birthday present ever!

I had to take the phone away from my ear as he yelled about how ‘awesome’ his present was. I let him go on for a few minutes before I interrupted. “So, what exactly is it you’re getting him?” He chuckled.

Technically, my present is …….. you!

“Me?”

Yep; I’ve decided that we can no longer continue on this tour without the two best girls in the states.

I couldn’t help but giggle some at his cheesy comment. “I suppose the other best girl is Nat, huh?”

That’s my birthday present!

“Have you told her yet?”

Actually, I was going to call her after I talked to you. Don’t you want to come see Nick?

I ignored the way my pulse raced at the thought of seeing him as I pulled a coffee mug from the cupboard. “I’d love to see Nick, but I’m pretty sure my presence would be unwelcomed on that tour. Half the people on that tour hate my guts.”

So not true, besides, it’s for Nick. It’s his birthday. What better gift can I give him than the girl he’s in love with but not in a relationship with?

I chewed on my bottom lip while ignoring Eric’s dig at the fact that I still hadn’t accepted Nick’s proposal of a relationship. “I would love to come, really, but,” I trailed off. I couldn’t even think of the friends I’d lost because of the things I’d done.

Pleeeeeaaaase, Jayce?

I frowned for a second and then sighed. “I’ll make you a deal. If you get Nat to agree to fly out, I’ll come with.”

Really?!

I giggled at how childish he sounded. “Sure.” I poured some coffee into my mug as I listened to his cheers. Honestly, I highly doubted Natalia would want to be on that tour any more than I did.

This is going to be so great! Fuck! I’ve got to call Nat now. You start packing your bags!

“I’m only packing my bag if Nat says yes.”

Which she will. I mean, it is my birthday too.

“You’re birthday was about two months ago.”

This will be my belated present.

I rolled my eyes again and turned to the fridge to get creamer out for my coffee. “Whatever you say, Halvo.”

Seriously Jayce, pack your bag! I’ll text you when I’ve got your flight booked, kay?

“Sure thing, doll.”

Cool. Nick just walked in so I’m going to go, mom. I’ll call you at the next stop. I love you.

“You are so weird. It’s not like it would be obnoxiously weird for you to be talking to me. You can say my name in front of him.”

Bye mom!

He completely ignored my comment. “Yeah, okay. Bye Halvo.” I waited until my phone dinged before I pulled it from my face and sat it on the counter. My insides squirmed as I went about making my coffee. All I could think about was if Natalia said yes. I would be sucked into that tour even if I tried to protest now.

I greeted my roommate as she stumbled from her own bedroom with her blond hair in a messy bun. She grumbled something about annoying ringtones and I chuckled as I blamed Eric for the rude awakening. After I finished my coffee, I went back to my bedroom and pulled out fresh clothes so I could shower.

My original plans for the day had been to lie around and watch movies, but now I was way too antsy. I showered and changed quickly, grabbing my messenger bag on my way out of the room. I found Sam curled up on the couch with her laptop, still in her pajamas.

“I’m going out for a bit to walk. Anything you want me to bring back?” I questioned as I checked my phone briefly. I scanned the new texts I’d received from Nick since this morning.

“A sexy British man with a pretty smile?” Sam held a completely serious face as she looked up from her laptop.

“I’ll get on that right after I bring home the Scottish timelord with the amazing hair.” I nodded and then slipped on my shoes. “Anything else?”

She shrugged. “Some exquisite sushi would also be appreciated.”

“All right. I’ll be back. Don’t let strangers in, Sam.” I gave her a look before walking out. Once I hit outside, I immediately felt better. I didn’t have my car anymore, partly because I couldn’t afford the payments on my own and partly because everything was close enough to walk to in San Diego. Walking the streets always helped clear my mind.

Nothing in San Diego was like small Tempe. I had no reminders of what I’d done and what I’d lost. Things just came easier in San Diego. I stopped taking money from my parents. I actually held a decent job down and paid my own bills. I went out occasionally, mostly just with Sam and some of my co-workers. In a town that had no connections to the people I knew, I learned to heal.

It wasn’t automatic, but it was working.

What scared me was not knowing if I could keep this up when I saw him. Something in my gut had already accepted that Natalia would say yes to Eric. She adored him and he had a way with persuading her. I would be on tour with him again soon and my chest ached with anticipation.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jayce
We're back : ) so soon too! I hope everyone is as excited about this as Marissa and I are. We have big plans and maybe that happy ending everyone's wishing for will come true here? Maybe? We'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions in the comments section. If there's something you really want to see then TELL US and you might actually see it in the story!
xooxEmber