‹ Prequel: Mutiny Below

Back 2 Good

Close Calls

Natalia

"I'm so bored," I whined, letting my head fall back to rest against the wall. The boys had left over three hours ago, leaving Jayce and I stuck on the bus, which seemed to get smaller and smaller the longer I stayed on it.

Jayce nodded her head in understanding as she looked over at me. "But really, it's better than the alternative."

I didn't even want to think about the alternative so I shut my mouth and returned my attention to the television screen in front of us. Watching a marathon of Whale Wars used to hold my attention like no other show, but I kept focusing on the fact that the person I most least wanted to see in the world was somewhere outside the bus I was on and I was practically defenseless now that I'd gone and plopped myself down right in the middle of his circle of friends. I really hated Eric for asking me to come out to the tour. What was I thinking agreeing with his plan anyway?

When Jayce looked over at me expectantly, I realized that she'd been talking to me and that my mind had drifted off again. "Sorry, what?"

She chuckled and patted my legs which were positioned in her lap. "Oh, Natty. You can't stop thinking about him, can you?"

I frowned and sat up, curling my legs under my body to sit indian style. "Let's not go there."

She held her hands up in defense. "I'm just saying. I know how you feel about him."

"How would you know?" I scowled at her. I hated when people tried to tell me how I felt. Nick did it to me all the time and it made me want to punch him in his pretty little face.

"Nat, I haven't forgotten everything that's happened. I know that you feel the same way about him as I do about Nick. And even if I didn't already know that, I'd be able to tell your feelings for him by that look on your face."

I wasn't aware that I was making any certain face but I turned away from her anyway and went into the kitchen area to make myself a glass of sprite. When I reached for the grey goose bottle, Jayce jumped up from her seat and grabbed it from my hand. "That might not be a good idea, Nat."

"A lot's changed about me since I left Arizona, Jayce. Trust me, I'll be fine."

With a wary look, she let go of the bottle and watched me carefully as I twisted the cap and poured some into my drink. Even after I sat down, she watched me closely as I sipped on my drink, trying to ignore the look she was giving me.

Even though the television was still on, the uncomfortable silence between us was overwhelming.

"That's it! I can not stay on this bus anymore!"

Jayce gave me a knowing look. "I want to get off this damn bus too, but you know what could happen if we go out there."

"That's a chance we're just going to have to take then. I'm going stir crazy in here!"

"Natalia, you're crazy. I'm not going out there."

"Ohhh, yes, my friend, you are." I grabbed my Toms from the floor next to the sofa and slipped my feet into them then put my phone in my pocket as I stood up and set my empty cup down on the counter. "Let's go!"

"Seriously, Nat-"

"Jayce, come on! I'm not taking no for an answer."

"But-"

"No buts! Come on!"

She rolled her eyes at me but got up from the sofa anyway, following me to the door. "Ready?" I asked, glancing back at her. She frowned and slid her sunglasses onto her nose in response to my question and I slowly swung the door open, sticking my head out first to make sure the coast was clear.

We cautiously slipped out the door and through the parking lot where the buses were sitting. When we finally got through and onto the sidewalk, we just picked a direction and began walking. Thankfully, we picked the correct one because a short time later, we had reached downtown. Since it was nearing 3pm and we hadn't eaten all day, the first thing we did was make a beeline to Chipotle. Once we'd stuffed ourselves with chicken burrito bowls, we took our time exploring the city, going into little record shops and thrift stores.

After a few hours, when we were both loaded down with bags from the shopping, we decided to head back to the bus. We followed the same pattern to get back through the parking lot and the last hundred feet from the building to the bus was wide open space. I stepped out to head back toward the bus, but Jayce's hand quickly clasped around my wrist and yanked me backwards.

"Oww," I hissed in pain but her hand still me firmly. She put her finger to her lips then pointed behind me. I slowly turned my head just as John and Kennedy walked by, not two feet from where we were standing, thankfully hidden.

I dropped my bags at my feet and stuck my head out slowly to look around the corner, only to see that where they had been headed was to talk to Nick and Justin who were standing in front of our bus. There was no way we'd be able to get back to the safety of our bus now. They were standing right in front of the door and would be for the immediate future.

I leaned back against the wall and sighed frustrated.

"What is it?"

"They're all hanging out, talking in front of the bus."

She groaned and rolled her eyes. "What are we supposed to do now?"

"Oh! I've got it!"

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and quickly dialed Nick's number then held it up to my ear to wait for him to answer. I peaked out from around the corner again and I could hear him announce to the guys that I was calling. I could also see the terrible look on John's face when my name was mentioned. He stepped away from the group to answer the call.

"Nat? What's up?"

"Well, we kind of got bored on the bus. So we....kind of left to walk around a little. And now you guys are all crowded around and we can't get back in."

"What the hell, Natalia?" The other guys looked over at him curiously so he lowered his voice. "I told you two to stay put! Where are you?"

"To your right, but kind of in front of you. Behind the building, just around the corner."

He tried to casually look around and when he finally looked our way, I stuck my hand out and gave him a small wave. He sighed into the phone and brushed his hand over his messy hair. "Alright, I'll make them go somewhere else."

He hung up and went back to the group while I turned back to Jayce. "He's going to lure them away so we can run to the bus really quick."

"Good," she replied, though she didn't look totally relieved. I turned my attention back to the group of boys and watched as they followed Nick away from the bus. I stuck my head out further to make sure that they were gone before I picked up my bags and gave Jayce the okay to follow me.

We ran as fast as we could with all the bags in our hands and scurried up the steps of the bus. I immediately dropped my bags on the sofa and collapsed on top of them, sighing in relief.

"That was close," she muttered, giving me a knowing look. "I told you."

"Yeah, yeah. You were right," I admitted begrudgingly.
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go, guys! Sorry it took so long to get this out. Let us know what you think? :)