‹ Prequel: Mutiny Below

Back 2 Good

Sweet Tomatoes

Jayce

My stomach was still turning from the close call after yesterday's shopping spree. It had been nice to have quality time with Nat and just to go shopping, but seeing John was not something on my agenda for this trip. I almost yearned to see everyone else though.

I had been trying to think up of a way to see everyone except John. Plans were not going very well, and the more I thought about that, the more I realized how they probably all hated me and didn't want to see me either. It was useless.

John and Arizona, and everyone connected to that state and band were my past. I would just have to let them go. It couldn't be too hard with the amazing people I have around me now.

I turned over in bed as my lips twitched into a grin. It seemed far too long since I'd been able to lay beside Nick. The bunk was small so things were squished, but it didn't bother either of us. I practically didn't even want to leave the bunk ever when I looked at him.

He was still peacefully sleeping with one arm lazily thrown over my waist. I inched forward to kiss his forehead softly, making sure not to wake him. Then I snuggled into his chest and let my worries wash away as I fell back asleep.

Next time I woke up though, he was gone. The bed was cold too so he'd been gone for a while. I rubbed my eyes a bit as I stumbled through the bus. I found most of everyone already up and crowded in the front couch area. Nat was sitting on Eric's lap with her legs over Justin and Andrew. Nick was sitting on the floor in front of them so I took the spot beside him and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"Someone sure sleeps late." Justin chuckled at me while I scrunched my nose up. I felt Nick kiss the top of my head.

"That's because someone doesn't have classes until 11:30." Eric smirked with him while Nat and Andrew giggled along.

"So what are we going to do today?" Nat thankfully took the attention off of me. "Not leave us bored on the bus again, right?"

"For a little bit, yes. But I was thinking we could go out tonight, for dinner. Maybe a nice dinner, you know, something you'd do if it were someone's special birthday maybe?" Nick shrugged and kept a composed face as the rest of us giggled.

"We can have a birthday dinner if you want, Nicky." Nat shook her head at him. "You honestly didn't even have to ask. I just figured we'd be doing that part closer to your actual birthday."

"Yeah, well, someone else already has like a get together planned for my actual birthday and I didn't think you guys would want to come." He placed his hand on my knee and gave a slight squeeze. I couldn't help the pout. Avoiding John was for the best, but missing Nick's birthday party would be awful.

"Can we eat at a Sweet Tomatoes? I'm craving salad." Eric kept going, as if he were trying to keep us from dwelling on the awful truth.

"I think that sounds good." Nick agreed and eventually so did everyone else.

But also eventually, they left us on the bus.

I sat down at the small table and started to paint my nails while Nat sat on the couch with a book. That lasted for about twenty minutes before we were both going mad again.

I cleared my throat. "I know going off the bus ended pretty bad yesterday, but I can't stay here much longer.

"Me either." Nat put her book down and bit her lip. "Yesterday was too close though."

"I think I might have a plan."

"How good of a plan?" I giggled.

"I mean, the boys plan on going out to eat shortly after their set so if we leave the bus we can just meet up with them after that instead of having to come back to the bus on our own."

"But what are we supposed to do for all that time? That's a good four or five hours away."

"Check out the venue." I smirked. "All the bands will be backstage, so we'll just flash some passes at the front gates and go in the normal way to the crowd area. I think we can get by without being scene if we stick in the crowd."

Nat looked worried. "We'd have to stay away from the stage, to be extra safe though."

"Which we can do." I shrugged. "We don't have to go up the railings. It would just be a lot more fun watching bands play instead of sit on this bus again."

"I agree." She sighed. "Alright. Let's do it."

"Sweet!" I threw my hands up and she giggled.

"We'd better get ready for dinner now then."

"It'll work out perfect." I smiled and swallowed the lump in my throat. There was still so much that could go wrong, but focusing on that would only stress me out and convince Nat not to go.

We managed to get into the venue with ease though. There were no close calls or even any word about The Maine. Once inside, I bought Nat and I a drink. We took them and stood in front of the sound guy's stand. It wasn't as close as I usually liked for shows, but it was still nice.

We watched a few bands that were locals and decent. Then there was a banner dropped with the large black M. Nat immediately sat her drink down and excused herself to the restroom. I frowned as she left. I knew how much she must want to see him, but she couldn't even stay in the room while he played on stage; an interaction where he wouldn't even know she was there.

My eyes were glued once they came out on the stage though. I watched every movement and listened to every joke. It was evident something was missing though. John almost seemed distracted. He sang his heart out and spoke with the crowd, but it still wasn't a performance, at least not his best.

I couldn't help but tear up as I watched them leave the stage. I did that. I sucked the soul out of a talented man and the only one that could fix, well I had taken that from him too. It was all my fault. I wiped away a tear that had escaped as I chuckled to myself. When wasn't the horrible thing my fault?

Nat didn't show back up until the next band was playing. Neither one of us was in the mood to watch them so we went and got more drinks. Afterwards, A Rocket to the Moon came on. Watching those boys made me smile and lifted the heaviness from my chest a bit. I loved listening to Nick's voice through the speakers. It was soothing in a way.

After they left the stage though we quickly made our way to the doors. Nick was calling me only a few minutes after we'd gotten out into the fresh air.

"Hey sugar."

"Hey babe. Did you and Nat have fun sneaking off the bus again?"

"Nat and I always have fun."

"Are you thinking of heading back this way then so we can go to dinner?"

"We're actually right in front of the venue. How about we get a taxi and I'll have them drive to back to pick you guys up at the gates?"

"Works for me."

"Good. I'll see you in a few. Make everyone change clothes though. You guys don't need to go stinking up the restaurant." He laughed.

"I love you."

"I love you too." I listened to the phone beep as he hung up and then I did the same. "Do you have any idea on how to find a taxi around here?"

Nat raised her eyebrows. "Uh, try 411 maybe?"

"Probably our best bet, yeah." I dialed again and got the number to a cab company. It took the cab ten minutes or so to get to us and then we drove around and picked up the boys.

Dinner was going lovely. It was nice to get to just talk with the boys and catch up on all the funny stories that couldn't be crammed into twenty minute phone calls. Everyone was grinning like mad, including myself for once, until I noticed two awkward boys shuffling in.

I couldn't help the reaction of widened eyes and frigid movements. "You okay, Jayce?" Nick chuckled as he squeezed my knee. I pulled my eyes from the boys to look at him.

"Um, uh, y-yeah. I'm fine." I shook my head and shrugged. I tried to figure out the possibilities of them not noticing the six of us over here. It was realistically about a 50/50 chance.

"Hey, it's Garrett." Eric pointed out and I almost wanted to punch him.

"Guys!" Justin whistled to get their attention and I definitely wanted to punch him.

I noticed as they made their way over, Natalia kept her head down to where her hair covered most of her face. I knew I couldn't get away with that though. I would be recognized no matter what I tried.

"Hey man, what's this?" Garrett made it over first. His mouth seemed to work quicker than his eyes. I felt like both of them were glaring at me as I stared at the table. "Oh," slipped out and it was obvious he'd found what didn't fit.

"We're just having a little early special dinner with the birthday boy." Eric tried to chuckled to lighten the tension.

"That's cool." Garrett nodded and then cleared his throat. "Well, I guess I'll leave you guys be."

"You could join us?" Justin offered and my cheeks burned. This was awful enough, a whole dinner could possibly cause problems.

"Nah, that's okay. You guys have a good night." He started to turn but then hesitated. "It's been nice seeing you." It almost sounded forced out. I frowned as I got brave enough to watch him turn and walk away.

"Well, that was weird." Justin mumbled.

"Yeah, weird." Nick rolled his eyes as he squeezed my knee again. "You okay, Nat?"

"Fine." She nodded and started to pick at her plate again. Dinner couldn't quite return to the joyful fun time it was before with the guilt left at the table. The guilt that was all there on my hands.

I sighed. With how close Rocket was with the Maine, I would have to make peace with those boys.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jayce.
Lol, I really want to eat at Sweet Tomatoes after writing this X D I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this though. Hopefully my lovely co-author and I can get updates a bit more regular for you guys from here. *Hopes are high*
xooxEmber.