Don't Confuse It, You'll Always Just Be His Prey

Skipping Rocks

I grabbed out the skillet with ease before putting it on the stove. It was early in the morning. Too early for Ronnie or Linda to be even remotely awake. It was a Saturday after all. Ronnie likes to sleep in till at least ten, and Linda, well, Linda sleeps until someone wakes her up. She could go all day if you let her.

"Good morning." I heard from behind me. Logan was standing behind the island with her hair askew, but in normal clothing, like the ones she wore the other day.

"M-Morning." I said. "You l-like eg-eggs?" I asked her.

"Love 'em." She replied. I nodded my head and took out enough eggs for everyone. I had to make them in two separate pans for the fact that I added blood in Ronnie's and mine's. Something about being a vampire. Shocker, ain't it?

"Can I ask you a question?" Logan asked. I turned to look at her with a brief nod to continue. "Was it weird? You know learning that you were Ronnie's mate. I know you are quite fond of him now, but like before."

"Um, h-honestly?" I asked. She nodded her head. "I was t-terrified. T-Told him I was r-ready to die, if he wa-wanted to k-kill me."

She went quiet for a second. "What changed?"

I shrugged. "I d-don't really know. He gr-grew on me I guess."

"I don't know. It was never weird at our school for news of a human being mated with a vampire. Hell, plenty of us were, too. No one ever really thought about what the human thought." She admitted.

I shrugged again. "P-People usually d-don't. Doesn't r-really matter th-though. No matter what he is m-my mate, and its ha-hard not to love h-him." She just smiled.

"Good morning." Another voice said from the entrance of the kitchen.

I smiled slightly. "Your up early." I stated as he walked behind me and wrapped his arm around me. I knew he heard as he kissed my check.

"Got cold." He said quietly in my ear. I laughed slightly before hitting him and telling him to get out of my way because I'm cooking. He happily obliged.

"Linda still sleeping?" He asked then. Logan and I both gave him a look.

"Of c-course she is. It is-isn't the next cen-century yet." I said.

"I think that's still too early for her." Logan said. We both laughed.

I continued to cook then with only few distractions from my pesky mate. Logan and him seemed to get along perfectly fine. They talked about anything and everything, even brand of cigarettes that was the best. I personally wouldn't talk about that this early in the morning, but hey, at least they were talking about something.

Linda rolled out of bed eventually. It was probably the bacon. She always wakes up for bacon. it's a gift or something. After successfully eating more bacon then is healthy, she perked up enough to hold a conversation with her own girlfriend, and then after the eggs she was normal. Food really did fix everything with that girl.

The morning was routine. We ate. We talked. Ronnie helped me clean up while Linda and Logan kept us entertained with their daily gossip. Leave it to girls to gossip. Don't get me wrong. Guys gossip, too. Fertiles, especially. It's just the old fashioned stereotype that human girls gossip, and it is very amusing when it comes true.

Later we decided that maybe it would be a good idea to go out. Hit the town. Maybe, go to the park. Anything to get us out of the house for a little while. We could only do so much here.

We changed and headed out, ending up at the park like we had planned.

It was a gorgeous park. It really was. I loved it here, but it was always a vampire only park. The human ones were littered with trash and filth. They weren't up to par for anyone's standards, not even the lowest of the toys that had been tortured for years.

No, this park was anything but. It was green, and colorful. Flowers lined the walk ways with light posts right by their sides. Dense trees right past the lake that shimmers in the sun light. Grass so green it didn't look real. Let's not forget the playground perfect for little kids equipped with slides and swings and everything in between, or the dog park that sat just past it where all the kids could see the cute little puppies. It was perfect. There was no other way of describing it.

This was my first time actually going inside it. We drove past plenty times, and that was all you needed to love it. But, seeing it without the glass window in front of you made it so much better. It made it so much more alive.

"You like it?" Ronnie asked from beside me.

"I l-love it." I replied before grabbing his hand to drag him after the two girls running ahead of us.

We messed around for a bit. Doing the usual late teenager stuff. You know, running around acting like maniacs, climbing the trees, splashing each other in the lake. It was fun, lots of fun.

We were currently sitting around the lake. Ronnie was skipping rocks while Logan and Linda were looking for a lizard that got away under the rocks. I was just sitting up in a tree watching them. It was funny. It really was. I used to be afraid of people like them, vampires, even half vampires. but, here they were like anyone else, like any other human. The only difference was how their body worked and how they used it.

I felt a familiar burning sensation in the back of my neck. Turning around, I saw nothing. No one was there. Strange, I thought. It felt like someone was staring at me, but like I said, no one was there. It was probably my imagination. I was a paranoid person. It was in my nature. I couldn't really help it all that much.

"Hey, Maxie! What are you looking at?" Ronnie yelled up from his spot on ground.

"N-Nothing." I replied. It was nothing. Nothing. That's what I told myself.

"Want to come down and join me down here?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Do I?" I smirked.

"I think you do." He said. I rolled my eyes before climbing down the thin branches to where Ronnie was. "Want to throw a stone?" He asked, throwing you up and down in the air elegantly.

"D-Don't know how." I stated.

"You don't?" He asked. I shook my head. "Here. It's easy." He said throwing me the smooth, flat stone in his hand. "Hold it like this." He stated moving my fingers around on the stone to make it correct. "Now, just throw it flat against the water." I attempted to throw it, but it ended with the rock just plopping in the water. Ronnie laughed which made me just glare at him in return. He told me to try again. After multiple failed attempts, I finally got one to skip twice.

"Wh-Where did the gi-girls go?" I asked, looking around. Apparently that lizard hunt was more intense than I thought.

Ronnie looked around a bit, too. "I don't know. You stay here. I'll go look for them." I nodded, and he was off.

I sat down on the closet rock, just digging around in the dirt. It was something to do. Nothing exciting, but like I said, it was something. You never know how many bugs actually live in the ground until you dig around in it.

That feeling came back, the feeling that told me someone was watching me. I looked around again, and again, I saw nothing. Maybe, it was nothing. Just my imagination, I'm sure, but then again, I haven't gotten this feeling since before Ronnie. It was never wrong before. Maybe, I was just getting rusty. That was probably it.

I heard a snap of a twig and a rustle of leaves. "D-Did you find th-them?" I asked, thinking it was Ronnie.

"I didn't know I was looking for someone." Someone said. My head whipped around to see the one person I never wished to see. My heart instantly sped up. My breathing instantly stopped.

"M-M-Mortis. Wh-What are you d-doing h-here?" I asked, nerves clear in my voice.

He shrugged. "I saw you all alone. Just thought I would stop by."

"W-Well, Ronnie will b-be back soon, but it w-was nice seeing yo-you." I said, attempting to make him leave.

"Wow, wow. Trying to get rid of me a little quick, aren't you?" He said with mock hurt.

"S-Sorry, but you r-really should be g-going now." I attempted again.

"Actually," Mortis said walking until he was right in front of me. I had to look straight up to see his face. "I'm here on a little errand for my cousin."

"Wh-What are you t-talking about?" I asked. He was making sense. He was just making words. They weren't forming sentences.

"This." He said before I felt a strong pain in the back of my neck, and everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Team Tyler