Don't Confuse It, You'll Always Just Be His Prey

I'm Parched

My dad, my father was here, at my doorstep. I couldn't comprehend this. There was so much happening in such a small time that it was absolutely insane. When? Why? Why was he here? Why did he want to see me after all of the time without me? No, this couldn't be happening. It couldn't, like how did he even find me? I knew it was from my mother, but I was shocked to see that she still remembered I live here.

"Wh-What are you d-doing here?" I asked. I realized that I had a solid grip on the back of Ronnie's shirt when he flicked his glance over to me. He was worried about something. I could tell, but what was it for?

"Well, I saw an article about you being attacked in the newspaper, and I wanted to come see you." He explained.

I shot a look at Ronnie. "It's in the n-newspaper, t-too?" He responded by wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "W-Well, c-come in." I ushered him in.

He walked into the house, looking around. There was surprise written on his face. Well, it isn't all that strange to be there. His only child was now living with a vampire, as a vampire, in a drop dead gorgeous house. I remember when I first came here. There was a thought that there was no way I would be able to live here. It was too nice, too good for me.

He didn't seem to know what to do with himself. His eyes shifted from the walls to the floor. He ran his hands across his pants that I'm sure was coated with sweat. It was strange to see a living human walking freely in this house. The house that currently has two screaming humans in the basement. You couldn't exactly hear them, but there was a distinct hum that could be heard in the back of your head. All in all this wasn't a very good place to be when there was a dom that could so easily rip your throat nearly three yards away from them.

"S-So, d-do you want anything to dr-drink? I'm sure we have s-something b-besides blood in the house." I said. He didn't seem to be as amused with the joke as I was, shaking his head shortly. "P-Please, sit."

He sat down on the edge of the couch, continuously running his hands up and down his thighs. I shot a glance at Ronnie which thank god he understood. He excused himself, grabbing Linda and pulling her up the stairs. I sat down on the other end of the couch. "Um, s-so, you saw m-me in the n-news and wh-want? Wanted t-to show up out of the bl-blue and t-talk?" I asked.

"Not exactly, well, I guess. I don't really know. I wanted to see how you were. It said you were pretty beat up from the article I read, and I guess I wanted to see if you were okay. You are my son after all." He scrambled.

"How m-mighty high of you sh-showing up after f-five years of b-bine completely m-missing all for m-my well-being." I scoffed at him.

He shook his head. "That isn't fair, Maxwell."

"M-Max, please, n-no one calls m-me Maxwell," I said. "And, I'm b-being perfectly fair. You l-left. I haven't heard a-a word s-since the d-divorce."

"You didn't hear from me because your mother cut me out entirely. She had sole custody and refused to let me see you. Once she married what's-his-name, she moved away taking you with her, and didn't tell me where!" He exclaimed.

"You c-could have tr-tried harder!" I yelled.

"It's not like I could stalk you guys all the way here! Me being in jail wouldn't let me see you either!"

I cringed when the yelling hit my ears. "K-Keep your v-voice down," I hissed. "If R-Ronnie hears you ye-yelling at m-me, it won't end w-well for you."

"Who is Ronnie?" He asked, keeping his voice consistent.

"Th-That angry looking v-vampire who answered th-the door." I replied glad the subject was on something I could talk about without getting upset.

He looked over at me. "Why would a vampire want to protect you?"

I knew he didn't mean it offensively. It sounded like it was, but in reality, it was an honest question. Fertiles looked very similar to humans. It was difficult to pick up the subtle differences when you were trained to notice them. The last time my father saw me I was still very much human, very human. So, you put two and two together and you get offensive questions. "He's m-my mate, father." I replied simply.

"Your mate? But, you're human. Why would you be in a relationship with a vampire, a dom no better?" He seemed confused, and flabbergasted to say the least.

"Humans c-can mate with v-vampires, and I'm n-not that human anymore." I explained.

He shook his head. "Not human? Of course you're human. How can you not be?"

I pulled the collar of my shirt down, showing off the two distinct scars at the base of my neck. "A few dr-drops of his v-venom, and poof, I'm a vampire," I said. "It's qu-quite common, ac-actually."

"You’re a v-vampire?" His eyes went wide, his mouth slightly open.

"Yep," I said standing up. "One hu-hundred percent. Are you s-sure you d-don't want something t-to drink? I'm p-parched."