Don't Confuse It, You'll Always Just Be His Prey

Play Nice

I woke up . . . in my bed . . . alone. That means that Ronnie was not there. It was strange. I usually wake up earlier than him, but a lot actually.

I got acceptable and walked down the hall to where Linda was staying. She was going to stay the weekend since she drove, well took the bus, all the way down here from her school. I'm surprised they even let her leave anymore. She won't come back for days. Hell, when I was recovering, she didn't go back for nearly two weeks. They had to get someone to come get her.

Her door was closed, not that it was a surprise. She was like the dead in the morning, and I live with the undead. So, that's saying something.

I knocked quickly. Obviously, I didn't get a reply, so I just went right in. What I expected was to see Linda nearly falling half off the bed with a look that zombies couldn't even beat. What I didn't expect was her tucked up against Logan with a content look on her face. They both looked peaceful. I closed the door as quietly as I could before waking back the way I came.

Dad's door was open. That was not a good sign. Please, oh please, don't let him and Ronnie be talking to each other. It will not end well, not even a little bit. I waked down to the kitchen where I could hear them talking to each other. From the voices I could tell that they were far enough away from each other to not be deadly.

I heard my father first. "N-Now, look here, R-Ronnie, s-sir," he said. I could tell he was nervous. I didn't get my stuttering from him. "I know you care about my son, and for that, I will give you my blessing. B-But, I don't want him hurt."

I could hear Ronnie chuckle darkly. That was never a good sign. "That's cute," he said, and I could hear the smirk that would be playing on his lips. "You think that I care what you think." There was a scratch on the floor like someone pushed a chair out quickly. "Now you listen here," he growled. "Don't think I'm happy about you just coming out of nowhere and suddenly become part of his life. He asked me to be nice, so as long as you're here, I will be. But, this is a very bad time, and if there is even a hint that you have upset him, you will end up on my slab downstairs, clear?"

I would hope he nodded at that because Ronnie doesn't like it when you don't answer him. That was my moment to swoop him. I walked in to see Ronnie leering over my father who was pressed against the counter like he was trying to sink into it. It wasn't a giant leap to say Ronnie's eyes were not their natural color. And, the second he turned to me, I could still see the touch of black spreading throughout them.

"R-Ronnie, can I t-talk to you?" I asked.

"Of course, love." He said with a smile.

The second we were out of ear shot of my father, I hit him on the arm. "Ow," he said, grabbing where I slapped.

"St-Stop, you kn-know that d-didn't hurt." I said.

"Why did you do it though?" He asked with the hurt puppy look. I almost gave in, until I remembered why I was mad at him.

I narrowed my eyes. "I heard ya-you t-two," I stated. He suddenly looked guilty. "I-I asked you t-to be n-nice, t-tolerable at least. Th-That was neither."

"I'm sorry." He muttered, looking ashamed.

"No, you're n-not." I glared.

"Okay," he admitted. "I'm not sorry for threatening him, but I'm sorry about making you upset."

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered before dragging him back into the kitchen with me. I sent him a warning look with a quick 'play nice'. He rolled his eyes but agreed regardless.

This was going to be a long day.