Don't Confuse It, You'll Always Just Be His Prey

The Basement

"Breathe, Max." Linda said to me over and over again. I couldn't just breathe. This was impossible. This doesn't happen. This couldn't happen.

She sent Ronnie out of the room a few minutes ago, much to his distaste.

"Max, calm down. We need to talk about this."

"What-t is-s there t-t-to t-talk about-t? H-he ob-obviously is-s lying. I-i c-can't b-be his m-m-m-mate." I said.

"It is possible, Max, and he isn't lying. This is very rare, but it happens."

"N-no, n-not t-to m-me. H-how am I-i s-supposed t-t-to live with h-him?"

"Look, humans are known for their ability to adapt in survival circumstances, right?" I nodded my head.

"Well, just think of this as the ultimate survival technique. You can adapt to this. You can survive this." She continued.

"You w-want m-me t-t-to adapt?" I asked confused.

"Yes. Humans are the only creatures the world has known that is able to adapt to anything life throws at them. Like the time when the ice age ended, or during times of war, or even during the time when the vampires took over. The humans adapted to it all. you can adapt to this, just use your ultimate instinct."

"I-i d-don't know anything a-about their l-life th-though. H-humans n-need a s-starting p-point."

"Well, what fertiles usually do the day of the ceremony is move in with their mate,so their is your starting point."

"M-move in-n-n?"

"Yeah, so let's get your bag packed. Just remember to breathe." Breathing, yeah that shouldn't be too hard.

Accepting the fact that I was about to move in with what I thought was a monster my entire life wasn't that difficult. It was actually doing it that was difficult. I felt like I was under watch the entire time we were in his car going to what I assumed was his house.

"Calm down, Maxie." Ronnie said to me in the car.

"I-i am c-calm." I said. Wow, the stuttering really proves the point.

"I can hear your heart beat. Unless it normally beats that fast, which doesn't seem healthy, you're lying."

Well then, that doesn't help my case very much. I said in my mind, but why would I be calm in this situation. I was literally less than two feet away from a man thing that kills humans probably daily, and he's telling me to be calm. I was more afraid of him than I was anybody who has ever beaten me up in my entire life, and he hasn't even laid a finger on me.

"I'm not going to hurt you." He said silencing my thoughts. I just nodded. I wasn't going to argue with him even though my mind was telling me to jump out of the car even if we are going at a speed that could kill me. I just wanted to get out.

We pulled up to a very nice gorgeous house. It looked like one of those houses you saw in real estate magazines or something. The grass was perfectly green, flowers lined up the walk way, and the house's green color looked like it was painted yesterday.

"You just going to stand there?" Ronnie asked looking back at me. He was already on the porch that swung around the house.

I followed him into an equally impressive house. Everything was perfectly clean, and perfectly in line. I don't know who else lived here, but they certainly could keep a house in order.

"Would you like a tour?" He asked.

"Y-yes, s-sir." I said.

"That's cute that you still have those stupid human to vampire formalities, but you don't need them, not anymore. So, let's start at the top." He said walking up the stair case on the other side of the room.

He showed me a guest room, his room, a study, and a bunch of empty rooms. He explained that he lived here by himself because after his mother left his father, his father left to and gave the house to him and his brother. His brother then left to. So, their rooms were left empty.

The down stairs was like any other. The kitchen was nice, he had a living room, a den, a back porch with a gorgeous back yard, and a dining room with a long table that no one probably sat at anymore.

He then showed me the only part of a vampire's house that I've never wished to see, though I have sadly. The basement was where the cruelest things that have ever happened on the face of the planet take place. His was no different from the other one that I've been in. It was dark with little light. Things that cause extreme and total pain were thrown across the room. Chains hung from the walls. Blood was all over the floors and the walls. He obviously didn't clean this part of the house.

Just walking in here made my breathing stop completely and my brain screaming at me to turn around and run as fast as you could the other way. I did not want to go through all the things that made me want to scream in this room.

There was a human in here. One that looked very familiar. He was from my school, but I couldn't tell who he was because his face was too battered to tell any of his original features. He thrown across the floor like a rag doll with bruises and cuts covering every part of his body that I could see and probably more.

Ronnie walked over to him then. He pulled his head off of the floor by his hair muttering something to him that I couldn't hear. They both looked at me then, and I winced slightly. I don't enjoy attention, especially from a vampire who's eyes were know burning red showing that he wanted blood. Who's blood, I didn't know. He said something else to the boy before the boy shook his head and started to say something back, but again, I couldn't hear.

Ronnie smirked at the poor human before getting back up and walking towards me. I took a step back. There wasn't anywhere I could go. I was trapped in a room with torture devices and a monster walking towards me.

"What are you afraid of now?" He asked me.

"I-i d-d-don't like th-these rooms." I answered. He was still walking towards me, and I still took steps back to avoid him as long as I could.

"I'm sure most humans wouldn't, but why would you even know what's in these rooms?"

"I-i've b-been in o-one."

"Why?"

"R-r-ran into a d-dom. B-brought m-me down into h-his b-b-basement."

"Seems like something a dom would do, but humans don't usually walk out of here alive."

"L-linda c-came, a-and c-c-convinced him t-t-to let m-me go."

"Ah, Linda. She's an interesting character." He said still coming closer. My back made a thud noise when it hit a wall. I had no where else to go now. My eyes scanned the room quickly. The stairs were on the other side of the room, and even if I was fast, I couldn't make it their quick enough.

"Humans always look for an escape, even when they know they can't. Why would I think you would be an exception? I told you I wasn't going to hurt you." He said not a foot in front of me now. He lifted his hand and I flinched out of habit which seemed to confuse him. He decided better of what he was going to do and instead leaned against the wall next to me.

"Why do you stutter?" He asked me after a moment of silence.

"D-don't know."

"When did it start?"

"W-when m-my m-mom m-married m-my step d-dad."

"That asshole from your place?" He asked. I nodded.

"Does your mom know he smacks you around?" He asked.

"She l-laughs. I-i w-was a m-mistake t-to her."

"That's a thing I will never understand about humans. You all create something beautiful and then hate it for some stupid reason and then destroy it. Sometimes I wonder how you all are still alive."

"V-vampires h-hate things, t-t-too."

"Sure we do. We hate things that mess with what's ours. We hate things that hurt what's ours. We hate things that destroy something that is beautiful."

"N-not all h-humans are l-like that." I defended.

"No, because some of them are like you. The ones that get messed with by other humans. You are the type of things that other humans like to destroy because you aren't like them for some reason. There is something about you that they don't seem to like very much, so they want to destroy it. They want to destroy you." He said. If a knife wasn't in my gut from my mother's words, it definitely was now.

"I-i know. I-i lived through i-it all."

"Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore." He said.

"Why not?" asked scrunching my face up.

"Because now you're mine, and like I said vampires hate things that mess with what's ours."