You're My Favorite Song

012

Today was the worst day of the year, Valentine's Day. I never understand what was so appealing about a stupid holiday. What's so special about getting flowers or chocolate on a day that your suppose to do get something. Someone just come and put me out of my misery now. Every year I usually sat around laughing at everyone being so obsessed with a hallmark card holiday, while everyone told me I was jealous. The funny thing is they actually believed I was jealous, dumbass.

I wasn't going to let a stupid holiday ruin my whole day this year. I was currently getting ready to go pick up Jake from the airport. The boys had just finished their radio tour and were flying back home, they were suppose to get in at one. The girls and I were all going to drive down there together. This is was a big day for all of us. The boys had just completed their first "tour" and for us, girls, this was the first time we were seeing them in two weeks. Most of them weren't use to being away from each other for more than six hours. It was a rough two weeks.

I finished getting ready just as the door bell rang. I said a quick goodbye to my parents as well as Ryan and her valentine for the evening, Braiden. I chuckled to myself as they played mario party together screaming at each other. Young love. I opened the door and headed towards Melody's van.

"Hello ladies," I greeted and was welcomed with a round of hellos in return. The past two weeks I had spent a lot of my free time with these girls. So much time that I was able to be myself around them without feeling awkward and shy. For the first time in my life I felt like I had true friends.

The drive to LAX wasn't bad seeing as it wasn't a travel day. Trevor had texted Melody that they had landed so we went straight over to the baggage claim area. I could feel the happiness radiating off the girls as we walked to the baggage claim.

Standing at the carousels made me think of the feeling I use to get when I was little and would wait for my dad. My mom and I use to get so excited when we knew he was coming home. I remember watching her cry when she saw him. When my dad came in now a days, she still went with me but it was never the same. Sometimes I wish my parents had stayed together, but then I realize I wouldn't have Ryan and I change my mind.

People began filling into the area so the four of us stood up to get a better view of the people. The boys were one of the last ones to walk through the doors. They looked so tired, but when they saw our faces they all smiled. The girls ran toward them but I stayed put feet glued to floor. I don't know what was wrong with me, I was in a trance, I could feel myself filling with doubt.

"Hey beautiful," Jake whispered placing a kiss upon my lips. Just like that all my doubt faded away.

The boys just wanted to go home after we got their luggage so that's what we did. Melody dropped Jake and I off at my house, since that's where his car was. We hung out at the house for a few minutes before heading out to his mom's house to say hello. Carla was ecstatic to see him, is was so adorable. We ate lunch at her house and then headed back to Jake's apartment.

I helped Jake unpack and get situated before we both collapsed on his couch, exhaustion filling our bodies. Jake turned on a movie and we sat watching it. I was as content as could be being back in his presence.

"Damn I really missed you. I thought I would be prepared for this, seeing as my dad was always gone, but this sucks," I admitted.

Jake chuckled, "I missed you too. At least you were somewhat prepared though."

This time I chuckled. Jake was right though, he didn't have experience with being miles away from someone like I did. I could only imagine how he must have felt being that far away from his mom. It made me realize that I've never thought about how much the distance effects someone on the road. "I bet it was hard leaving your mom for that long."

Jake nodded, he shifted so we were both sitting facing each other on his couch. "Yea I missed her, but not as much as I missed you," He kissed me once again.

"You are such a dork," I laughed. My heart exploded for the thousandth time. It was amazing how one simple action could send my whole body into shock. Jake made me so happy, something I couldn't say about many people. We sat quietly for the rest of the movie. When it ended Jake got up. "Where are you going?" I asked. It was now five o'clock and I had promised my mom I would be home before 8. I didn't want to waste time being away from Jake.

"I'll be right back, stay put," Jake ordered.

So I stayed put, taking this time to to breathe. I have known Jake for a month, one month. In the one month I've known this boy, he has made me feel so special. In fact, even for the two weeks that he was gone I still felt like he was with me. Jake returned shortly knocking me out of my mind, which was probably a good thing.

He sat down next to me once again, except this time he was holding a small rectangular box. I didn't think anything of it until he started to talk. "Hazel," he sighed, "these past two weeks have made me realize something."

He paused. I hate when people paused it just made my mind think of horrible thoughts. He's going to tell me that he found someone else. He going to tell me he doesn't want to be my boyfriend anymore. I can't do this. I could feel tears building in my eyes. Jake noticed too.

"Hey, its nothing bad I promise," he reassured me. I trusted Jake so I sat while he tried to gather his thoughts. "Man this is harder than I thought," he laughed at himself. "Alright here goes nothing."

He took my hand ever so softly in his looking deep into my eyes. I felt like his eyes were reading my mind. "Hazel, I've known you a month. That's a short time to know someone. I've only spent four weeks of that time with you seeing as two weeks of it I was gone. But back to my point, Hazel your the first girl I have ever met who I've felt completely myself around. You understand me and support me and that's more than I've ever asked for in my life. I guess what I'm trying to say is... Hazel I, I love you."

Oh my god, did this just happen? Did he just say he loves me? Saying something! "I love you too," I admitted.

"Well thank god, I though you were gonna leave me hanging," He laughed, before kissing me like no time before. "Its a good thing you said yes cause know you get this," he handed me the rectangular box he had been holding.

I took the box and opened ever so carefully. Tears began to fall when I opened it, and smile stretched across my face. What laid in the box, was a simple yet beautiful necklace. A letter H and a letter J were separated by the treble cleft note. "Oh my god I love it," I exclaimed.

Jake helped put it on me and then explained the meaning. "Now you'll always have me with you when I'm gone."

We stayed on the couch the rest of the night talking about Jake's adventure. It was all I needed, Jake was all I needed. I finally understood what it meant to love someone, to have someone care deeply about you but having no reason to do so. Jake was my everything, forever and always. I hope he knew what he was getting himself into.