You're My Favorite Song

001

Living in Los Angeles isn't all its cracked up to be. The assumptions are always the same; if you don't live near Hollywood then you must live in the ghetto poor town. If you're a true Los Angeles resident, neither assumption is true. My home is in a suburb, or as suburb as you can find in LA. Its about twenty minutes from "the city" and twenty from "the ghetto."

I've lived in LA almost my entire life. When I was growing up I lived in an apartment overlooking the horizon of skyscrapers. It was tiny but to a young and naive child it was a castle. I now live in a house with my mom, step father, and my little sister, Ryan.

Public schools in Los Angeles don't have the best reputation; however the private schools are suppose to be all the rave. What a lie. I go to the-so called-best private school in the area. Where the D-list actors send their "precious gems" to school. Precious gems isn't the right description, dumb bottle head blondes addicted to plastic surgery and egotistical asshole "athletes" is more appropriate.

I am currently on my winter break. Winter break means a lot to me, considering its the only vacation they haven't shortened yet. If you haven't guessed school really isn't my forte. Not totally my fault. I mean school just wasn't designed for the people who are deathly shy and connect more with music then real life humans, not like I'm complaining. Kids are just cruel and my purpose in life isn't being someone's punching bag. I may be little and shy but you don't mess with me, I've made that clear.

***

It was late Wednesday morning and I was finally getting out of my comfortable bed. I strolled into the bathroom that connect my room to Ryan's and turned on the water to the sink. I was so not a morning person, regardless if it was seven or eleven in the morning. After splashing my face I headed downstairs to get something to eat.

Our kitchen wasn't grand, but it wasn't tiny either. I grabbed a bowl and a box of cereal and sat down opposite of my little sister. I hated milk so I ate the cereal dry, just like my daddy does.

"Hey Hazel." Ryan was in her flying pig pajamas that I had given to her and was shoveling cereal into her mouth.

"Hey mini me, want to go to the mall today?" She nodded her head eagerly and smiled.

Ryan and I rarely went to the mall but on Friday me and her had tickets to some small concert at the House of Blues in Los Angeles and we needed something to wear. She usually strolled along knowing her big sister would buy her anything, even if mom didn't approve which was rarely.

My mother understood her children and rarely ever opposed our decisions. I was the spitting image of her when she was seventeen and Ryan was just looking up to me. My mom has always let me be my own person and figure things out on my own. It's nice having her understand and not judge.

After I was done with my breakfast I took my bowl and Ryan's and put them in the dishwasher and then headed up to change, Ryan of coarse in tow. I told her to go change and then meet in the bathroom that connect her room to mine.

I walked into my room and toward the closet. It was a typical California December day, meaning it was about sixty degrees outside. I decided on a hoodie and a pair of jeans, my typical outfit in this weather. I changed in my room and then continued to the bathroom. Ryan walked in wearing an outfit similar to mine, I chuckled.

"Look at that we're twins." She smiled up at me.

I plugged in my flat iron and took out my make up bag. I wasn't a make up junky but I liked to wear a little eyeliner. Ryan watched as I carefully ran the pen across my eyelid. Neither our mom nor I would allow her to wear make up. the closet she ever got was chap stick. She's seven I don't need her being corrupted into thinking she's only pretty with a fake face on.

Once I was finished my flat iron was hot enough. I clipped the top layers of my hair up and began running the hot metal plates through my hair. I had to do my hair in sections or else it turned out horrible.

"Hazel can you do mine?" Ryan was now sitting on the chair that sat in front of our vanity.

I finished my hair and then began working on hers. Ryan's hair was easy to manage, it was thin like her dad's and naturally almost straight. Once I was finished she walked over to the counter and opened the drawer that contained her colored extensions; one other thing Ryan wanted but wasn't aloud to have. I helped her situate her red streaks into the side of her hair.

"Now we really are twins." She then sat back down and watched me tease my hair to the perfect height, not to over the top.

Ryan and I may be ten years apart and we may have different fathers but we could definitely be mistaken for twins. We had the same skin complexion, our hair was a little past shoulder length, hers a nice auburn color, mine dyed black with a turquoise layer on top.

Once I was finished I cleaned up and headed back into my room. I sat down at my desk and opened the drawer that contained every marker color ever made, at least I like to believe so. I took out the dark burgundy one and placed it on the desk.

For my fourteenth birthday I got my first set of special markers. It was a gift from one of my dad's friends because they knew I loved to write and draw. The thing with these markers was that I could write on my hands and it wouldn't smear throughout the day and only make up remover could get the ink off. Anyways, since the day I got these I have written a song lyric or inspirational quote on the top of my left hand. It kinda became known as my trademark. Every morning when I wake I think of what I can write to get me through the day and most of the time it depends on my mood.

I took out a notebook that contained over a 100 lyrics and quotes that I love or find interesting. Ryan walked in and jumped on my bed. Once she saw I was looking at the book she got up and came up next to me.

"Can I help you pick one?" She asked. Ryan understood how important this was to me. I'm not sure if she fully understood what it truly meant but it was something she thought was inspirational and brag worthy.

"Of coarse." I handed her the book and watched as she flipped through page after page. Ryan was the only one who was aloud to pick a saying other than myself. It was part of our special bond of sisterhood. I watched as she finally stopped on a page and placed her hand over the one she wanted. "This one?"

The one she picked read: Those who've seen us, know nothing can come between us. I picked up the marker and wrote in script the saying along with a heart at the end. I showed to Ryan and she smiled approvingly.

Writing on my hand was a way of getting me through the day. For some reason I could always look to my hand and feel more comfort then I did with actual people, except my family. It was like a tattoo just not permanent and wasn't as painful. Plus I can't get permanently inked until I'm eighteen.

I put everything away and then Ryan and I walked down stairs. I walked into the living room to find my mom and step dad on the couch watching television. Ryan ran over and sat next to them.

"Not working today dad?" I asked. Yes, I call my step-dad dad. I've done it ever since they got married, my biological father remains my one and only daddy. What can I say I'm a daddy's girl.

"Nope day off."

"You girls heading somewhere?" My mom asked.

"Maybe the mall if the best mom in the world would lend her daughter the keys," I batted my eyelashes at her causing both my parents to laugh.

"Hazel you don't have to ask, take your set of keys."

With that I walked out of the room and to the closet that contained my shoes and keys. I didn't own my own car because I didn't think it was necessary so I shared with my mom. I used the spare key and had it on my own key chain so I never had hers with me. I put on a pair of converse and then headed out to the car with Ryan. Making sure Ryan was all seat belted in the back seat before pulling out of the drive way and on to the main rode.

After walking around the mall aimlessly and getting a bite to eat, we headed off to our only real destination, Hot Topic. I walked into the store with Ryan by my side. She followed be to the back but not before taking a good look around.

"Alright Ryan which one do you want for Friday?" I was pointing to two shirts that were in her size. She was an extra small and that just happened to be a very rare size. The one had a broken heart and said 'love is lame' the other said 'born to rock.'

"That one." She said and took the born to rock shirt out of my hands. I gave her an approving look and continued looking for something for me.

I settled on a black sweater type think that had a gold heart on it. I got my size and then headed over to where Ryan was, she was looking at the different tapers.

"You should get those," she was pointing to a pair of hello kitty ones. I laughed at her.

"I can only get the ones in this section, 'cause I'm not stretching my ears."

"Why not?" She questioned.

"It's not worth it plus then I wouldn't be able to where normal earring," I stated.

"Always the words of a chicken," Someone murmured from behind.

I turned around to find one of the employees standing there with the key to the container waiting to help. I gave him a quick once over. He had olive skin, jet black hair which was more than definitely flat ironed, and green eyes. He had his ears stretched far enough along he could wear a plug instead of a taper, along with that he had a lip ring. He was wearing an Of Mice and Men shirt.

"Nope not chicken," I stated, or whispered. I hate when people talk to me in public. Ryan, who was once focused on the case, now had all her attention on the guy in front of us. Let's just say Ryan had a very big sense it what guys her older sister fell for. "Can I see these?"

He walked over to the case, opened it, and handed me the pair of faux tapers. "Now if you ever want to take a risk, I'll show you the real thing." With that he locked up the case and walked over to help another customer.

Ryan's trance was broken and she looked up at me, face blushing. "He was cute!" She whispered. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Now Ryan, a seven year old should not be giving guys like that eyes like you did. He's is what we call a tease," I gave her the best sisterly advice possible.

Truth was, he definitely got my attention. When you look like that, its hard for a girl full of hormones not to find you attractive. However, I was well aware of how guys minds worked and I didn't need a distraction of a guy. Nor did I need the heartbreak that usually came, or so I have heard.

Once we finished browsing the store we headed over to the line. Since it was after the holidays the stores weren't to crowded. I hated the mall during holiday season, it was even more suffocating than being at school in a stupid assembly. We stepped up to the counter to pay and to Ryan's luck, the same guy who 'helped' us earlier was now behind the register.

"Anything else with this purchase?" He asked. Customary to store policies. I knew the rules to this store inside and out when I was looking for a job last year.

I looked at Ryan and she eyed me. I knew what was going on inside her little mind, your number perhaps. Even my little seven year old sister had more flirting game then her sister. "Nope that's it," I said.

"Do you have a Hot Topic card?" Again, another customary question. I handed him my card without saying anything, Ryan still standing there staring. "Alright so it comes to $45.92. Unless of coarse you buy this CD right here, in which case we discount you five percent."

I took a look at the CD he was talking about. To my utter surprise it was the band Ryan and I were going to see. "Sure," I stated.

"Really?" He questioned, puzzlement filling his face.

"Hazel isn't that the band we're seeing?" She asked looking at the CD that was in the cashier's hand. I nodded my head in response. A smile spread across the cashier's face, but he didn't say anything else.

Ryan and I walked out of the store and back to the car. We continued driving until we were at one of our favorite burger places in LA. By the looks of our orders you'd think we were two teenage boys. Once we ate we got back on the road and drove home. After spending time with my family and talking to my dad on the phone I headed up to bed.

Once I was changed and settled I flicked on my stereo. The sound of a heavy drum beat came through my speakers and filled the room. I was listening to the CD that I had purchased. For some odd reason, listening to it made me think of the ever mysterious hot topic employee. I cursed to my self. Stupid teenage minds.

My moment of bliss was short lived when Stephanie, my best friend, came barging in my room. She threw herself on my bed in one dramatic motion, I rolled by eyes and then looked at her.

"Steph what are you doing here?" I turned off the music. Stephanie always hated when I had music on, something about it ruining the minds of humanity. At least that's what she said about my kind of music. Then again this was coming from a girl who listened to nothing but rap, not that there's anything wrong with that but I mean...

"I was bored and Kevin couldn't hang out with me cause he's out partying with the boys," she wined, running her hands through her hair.

Sometimes she is just so oblivious. Didn't she know that, that meant Kevin was probably with some other chick? And hadn't she figured out I hated being her second choice. Being the best friend I was I never brought it up.

"Steph its like eleven at night," I stated. I had no desire to go out and stalk her boyfriend, which is what we normally did when she was bored and he was out. Its not like I didn't like hanging out with her but when this was the case it always ended up with her trying to sneak into a club. So not my type of place.

"God Haze you're such a mood killer."

"Hazel," I corrected. No one was aloud to call me anything but my name. Unless of coarse it was a family nickname, or my middle name, as my mother liked to referrer to me as.

"Whatever. Its our last Wednesday of winter break let's do something," She wined once again. There was no winning with her.

"Steph I was out all day. I am not leaving again. So you can stay and have a movie night or you can leave."

"I guess I'll just stay here. Beats hanging out the parents at my house."

I never understood why exactly Stephanie and I were friends. She was tall, fully built, and had natural blond hair guys killed for. At school she was liked and feared by everyone, even the girls who 'ran' the school. She was outgoing and always in the party scene. Yet somehow, despite having nothing in common we remanded friends. A good and bad thing I presume.
♠ ♠ ♠
Every story starts off slow. Bare will me. I promise this will bring something better . :)